Poll: Songwriting?
Poll Options
View poll results: Songwriting?
I love writing - I consider it the main thing I do as a musician.
36 43%
I like writing, but I probably spend more time on covers/skills.
25 30%
I just come up with the occasional riff and solo.
5 6%
I'd like to be able to write, but I don't think I'm that good.
15 18%
Eh, not my thing.
2 2%
Voters: 83.
Just a poll for the sake of curiosity.

Who here actually writes? Do you do it more than simply practicing or learning songs to cover? Who loves it? Who just cant do it?

Enzedit: Lyrics can be part of it, but don't have to be.
█████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████

You're just another brick in the wall
Last edited by En_zed at Jan 17, 2009,
I write.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
I write my own material and sometimes acoustic covers of bands like SOAD or KoRn.
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
i write some but i would alot more if i had things to record with.
Yea that's right, I want something to explode

I've been deaf, now I want noise

LOUD LOVE
For some reason I just can't. I don't think I'll ever be able to write song lyrics as long as I live. Eh, I have guitar and lots of scales. No worries.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
I just come up with riffs.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Quote by Le_Bunny
I write prose and poetry, but am pretty much crap at songwriting.

Take any poem you have and make it into a song. You just have to find a creative rhythm.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
I love writing, but I suck so bad at writting lyrics it's sad. I figure I'll just wake up one night and write every random thought in my mind and sing it the next day.
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
Whenever I do covers, I make sure it's completely accurate down to the accident, or totally different (PLUG: check out my cover of "I Am the Highway" on my myspace, check the sig).

Outside of that I compose as much as I can, guitar, piano, strings, any idea I can develop, I run with.
i write.
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
I usually write, as opposed to cover.
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
I write, but it's work. I really have to put my mind to it to make a good song. I can't do what most professional musicians do and just write out a full-blown song in 15 min. It usually takes me at least an hour.
I hate writing if I sit down with the intent of writing, but when it happens out of the blue, I love it. I don't really practice guitar a ton (I'm not proficient at soloing at all), but I like to think that I make up for it with my songwriting.
Quote by tonedeafidiot
I write, but it's work. I really have to put my mind to it to make a good song. I can't do what most professional musicians do and just write out a full-blown song in 15 min. It usually takes me at least an hour.

Good things take time, man. Sure some professional musicians can create music quickly, but the best music takes ages to get perfect. Ever wonder why albums are released at least once every year or two?

You're just another brick in the wall
I make my own music, but I don't write any of it down. Occasionally I write the lyrics down, but riffs and solos are all in my head.
I hardly ever do covers of anything..and if I do them, I modify them to fit my tastes and to add a sense of originality to them. But I love writing lyrics. I haven't been writing very well as of late, but the guitar riffs/licks have been flowing sufficiently..so I guess I can't complain
90% of everything i write is crap so i figure I'll just keep trying to make the 10% bigger. If i get an idea (lyrics/riffs) I'll spend a while playing around with it and seeing if i can get anywhere with it. I've got a fair amounts of garbage material lying around, and I don't try force anything too much, unless i really feel like i can write something good.
i usually figure out a average riff and play around with it for ages until it sounds good
I don't like writing but that's because I suck at it. I'm always trying though. In my band, the singer is the main songwriter. I just make some of the solos.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

i write lyrics but i cant write music worth crap
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
I picked 'I like writing, but I probably spend more time on covers/skills. ' but i should've picked the top one. I spend way more time on my own stuff now.
i love writing i can do lyrics easily. instrument parts are a little harder.
I love writing..lyrics and riffs. I always seem to forget them after a while though need recording equipment
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Constantly write lyrics, even at school during class. At home I do riffs. In the end it turns out pretty well. It pisses me off that I'm the only one in my band that does this.
Eternity isn't long
If all you so is sleep
And forever is just a little while
If all you do is dream.

All Alone is All we Are
Lyrics, yes.
Riffs/Solos/Fills/Anything on guitar, not really.

Usually if I write something I want done on an acoustic then I can right a decent chord progression, but nothing more.
I love the thrill of writing.

It's like playing God... Watching your song come to life, sculpting it, or letting it sculpt you...

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
I write lyrics more than I can write actual riffs that fit the lyrics I wrote, but I'm working on a song now. I love writing lyrics that tie together to make a story (concept album if you will) than lyrics dealing with my life.