Hey,

I'm about to start sanding my guitar body down, once i've done that i want to stain it a dark mahogany colour or walnut and then give it a coat of clearcoat.

I'm puzzled though, i'm not quite sure what i need, i've looked through the ulimate finishing thread and i've read about taking off the current paint with paint stripper and then sanding etc etc and then applying liquid woodstain to the body.

So would this be the workflow;

As you can probably tell, first time doing this, so im not sure exactly what items to purchase and what is the best way to do this.

Also the guitar currently has a thick black layer of polyutherane paint on it with clearcoat, i'm guessing the wood would have been treated already, would i still be able to use water based stain on it?

Thanks
    Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
    Hey brother! I've finished a couple guitars just like you're describing, and this is what I would do:

- Strip the guitar down to the bare, raw wood, that way you know what you're working with.
    - Wet the grain, then sand the raised stuff. Do that twice, at least.
    - Apply your stain. If I were you I would just get a little tiny Minwax can of stain from your local HomeDepot or whatever. That stuff has worked well for me, and since you're staining it a natural color ( i.e. not bright green or whatever ) the Minwax stuff will work fine. Plus you'll save tons of money.
    - Apply sanding sealer, at least two medium coats. You can use Minwax again here, and it will slightly darken/enrich the color of your stain, so practice on a scrap to see how it looks.
    - Sand the sealer flat, then apply clear/satin/matte lacquer ( whichever you prefer ) in cycles: three coats per day, one hour apart. I would do at least 9 coats.
    - Let that dry for 3-4 weeks, literally.
    - Wet sand with 1200 grit sand paper
    - Polish to a mirror shine with 3M Perfect It II, followed by a wax of your choice ( optional ).

If you have any questions, check out ReRanch.com. They have everything I've said here and a whole crap load more.
    Quote by lumberjack
    If you have any questions, check out ReRanch.com. They have everything I've said here and a whole crap load more.

+1
    You may also want to check projectguitar.com but ReRanch is probably your best bet.
    E-peen:
    Rhodes Gemini
    Fryette Ultra Lead
    Peavey 6505
    THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
    EBMM JP13 Rosewood
    Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
    Thankyou for the help lumberjack that is extremley helpful

I just have a few more question's, they may be stupid question's but i've never even worked with staining wood before and it's better to be safe than sorry

For the stain i'll be using this;
    Chestnut Spirit Wood Stain Rosewood - 250ml

It can be thinned with lacquer to get the right colour, ill be using this lacquer;

Chestnut Cellulose Thinners - 500ml

So after sanding the body until i have raw wood etc i would mix the two products above with each other and try testing it on wood until i get the colour i like, then coat the whole body in it (i read that i should coat it dark, sand down and then recoat lighter)

Then i can apply sanding sealer, which will be this;

water based Chestnut Acrylic Sanding Sealer - 500ml

Then i sand it all smooth to say 800 grit and then i could apply this;

Water based Chestnut Acrylic Lacquer - 500ml (applied with a brush)

and then do as you say, give it a few coats over 3 days and leave to dry.

Then finally sand it with say 1200-2000 wet and then buff and polish.

I'm sorry that this is going over what you've already said, but im just wondering (and nervous) if these products will all work together, with them being water based, except the stain which is spirit based.

Also i cant actaully find a shop that sells minwax in the UK, i've looked at all the shops that i know/ trust and the above products are the probably the best i'm going to be able to get with out spending a fortune (i'm doing this with a very limited budget).
    Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
    Last edited by Daniel8488 at Jan 18, 2009,