On Monday, I plan on borrowing one of my schools bass guitars, and trying to learn how to play. I already play guitar, though not very well, anyway, I was listening to some music in the guitar an decided to turn up the bass and well... I loved it, it sounded amazing.

So, can you guys help me out here, tell me things to do, and things not to do technique wise, and maybe some songs to look out for. I really like music from about 65-80's so blues, rock, hard rock.

also, what inspired you guys to pick up the bass guitar, rather than a guitar?
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
First of all brotha, welcome to bass playing! lol. Second of all, theres a section of the FAQ stickied at the top of the thread listing that has a section describing various ways of playing bass (slap, tap, ect...) as well as a plethora of other goodies that some of the regulars here put together. The FAQ is probably the first thing you should read before asking questions here, just to narrow out the frequently asked stuff.

And of course, theres another sticky with a list of bass songs organized by difficulty. After youve had a look at the FAQ and the song list, youll be pretty set.

I started off like 4 years ago, when i was like 14-15, all my friends were guitarists and drummers, so i figured id pick up bass to be in a band. As ive gotten a bit older, grew into different forms of music, and of course from coming here, ive started to enjoy bass guitar for what it is rather than the "i canz be in a band!!11!" aspect
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
I took a look at the FAQ, thanks for pointing me there.

One thing that was briefly covered in there was using a guitar amp with a bass guitar=bad.
Can someone explain what will happen if I do?
I'm just doing this to try out the bass guitar for maybe a week, to see if I like it, if so I'll probably continue and maybe pick up some of my own new gear, but for now I just want to try.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

Quote by floppypick
I took a look at the FAQ, thanks for pointing me there.

One thing that was briefly covered in there was using a guitar amp with a bass guitar=bad.
Can someone explain what will happen if I do?
I'm just doing this to try out the bass guitar for maybe a week, to see if I like it, if so I'll probably continue and maybe pick up some of my own new gear, but for now I just want to try.

Guitar amps, as well as a fair amount of guitar related gear, arent designed to handle the output frequencies of a bass guitar. Obviously, bass produces a much lower note, and the electronics and such in a guitar amp will eventually....umm...do unpleasant things if you play a bass through it for too long. Itll work for a while, but it will kill the "bassyness' of your tone, and its ultimately detrimental.

Same goes with guitar pedals and such. They wont be ruined or anything, they'll just absorb the bass part of your tone, especially non-bass distortion pedals. It leaves you with a tone kind of like a muddy guitar. Think "Anethesia" from Metallicas first album, lol.
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
Guitar amps, as well as a fair amount of guitar related gear, arent designed to handle the output frequencies of a bass guitar. Obviously, bass produces a much lower note, and the electronics and such in a guitar amp will eventually....umm...do unpleasant things if you play a bass through it for too long. Itll work for a while, but it will kill the "bassyness' of your tone, and its ultimately detrimental.

Same goes with guitar pedals and such. They wont be ruined or anything, they'll just absorb the bass part of your tone, especially non-bass distortion pedals. It leaves you with a tone kind of like a muddy guitar. Think "Anethesia" from Metallicas first album, lol.

Ahh alright, do you think any damage would be done for a weeks worth of playing, or would I be alright?
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

Quote by floppypick
Ahh alright, do you think any damage would be done for a weeks worth of playing, or would I be alright?

Play with the volume very low, lol. Personally id argue for waiting for a week, or just doodling around unplugged if you must. Ive never personally gone and played on a guitar amp, so i dont know exactly how long it would last or whether thered be any damage, but i think it would be safer (and cheaper) to not take the risk, ya know?
Quote by thefitz
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
Play with the volume very low, lol. Personally id argue for waiting for a week, or just doodling around unplugged if you must. Ive never personally gone and played on a guitar amp, so i dont know exactly how long it would last or whether thered be any damage, but i think it would be safer (and cheaper) to not take the risk, ya know?

Alright, thanks a lot for the help. I'll ask my guitar teacher, who is amazing at the bass about this sort of stuff.

Once again, thanks a lot
It's actually the speaker of a guitar amp that gets damaged...the electronics are fine. You can actually use a guitar head through a bass cab with no problems, though obviously the preamp is tuned to guitar frequencies. Keep the volume low and make sure there is NO clipping, and you should be alright.

That's really no fun, though....it's a lot better when you can feel it. I like to stand in front of my amp and watch/feel my pants flap.
Nope, no sig here.
i heard john deacons bass lines which first got me interested in the whole concept of bass, then my friend introduced me to muse and i went from there...
if you find your self unable to play some basslines, look at the chords for the song to learn your way around the fretboard, play it on only say frets 1-5, then 2-6 and eventually 7-11. or just practice lots
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Thanks a lot guys for all the input
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick