Page 1 of 2
I play guitar and some bass and now I'm thinking of taking up violin. I was wondering if anyone else had and if it was hard to go from guitar to violin.
its not hard if you have plenty of time to spare. You will sound like ass for the first few years though.
No frets. Realize this. The bow takes about a year to get something that doesn't sound like complete ****.
I used to play. It's ****ing tough. Moving your finger one millimeter changes the note.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
I never really played but they had them in my music class in grade 7 and 8 and they're hard to play cause they're so small
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
If you mean how good is my ability to hear things and know if they're like on pitch or the right note, I can do that pretty well. I want to learn to play violin because I want to know a classical instrument.
I saw Jimmy Page page play guitar guitar with a violin bow. Do that. It'll be MUCH cooler.
Eternity isn't long
If all you so is sleep
And forever is just a little while
If all you do is dream.

All Alone is All we Are
Different tuning, different style of playing, to sum it up Different.

It's like using a PC for 15 years then one day walking to it, booting it up and its a Mac.
Quote by MeltingWaxFace
Different tuning, different style of playing, to sum it up Different.

It's like using a PC for 15 years then one day walking to it, booting it up and its a Mac.

Nope, the violin is a much harder instrument in general.
I went from violin to guitar, violin takes a lot of discipline to learn, especially if you're going to learn from a book.
Get a cello, much cooler. They sound so amazing when played well.
Quote by Tempoe
Get a cello, much cooler. They sound so amazing when played well.

Double bass is cooler.....
Quote by Twisted Magnum
Why would you want to play a POS instrument like a violin?

The violin is An EXTREMELY difficult instrument bro. I played it for 7 years and went straight to guitar. Guitar is a BREEZE compared to violin.

Quote by AeroRocker
I used to play. It's ****ing tough. Moving your finger one millimeter changes the note.

THIS

There are no frets. Whoever posted the violin with frets that is the MOST retarded thing i've ever seen in my LIFE.

It's not like on a guitar, as long as you are on the right fret is will be the same note. If you're playing say a G# in 5th position like he said one MM can change that to an A# (yes a whole step).

Now, factor in trying to do that, and vibrato while staying in tune and you'll see why the violin is in the top tier as far as instrument difficulty. BTW, just like intonation between guitar and violin, vibrato is COMPLETELY different too, you can't just move your finger vertically, it has to move HORIZONTALLY (running in the same direction as the fingerboard).

Also, tone with the bow you have to think about bow speed AND pressure to get a DECENT tone. Like the guy said you will sound like absolute **** for your first year.

And shifting: you have to KNOW where to shift, and when you shift it has to be on the INSTANT with no audible sliding. So, not only do you have to hit the shift PRECISELY on the spot (remember - there are no frets to show you where), you can't slide up to it.

I would rate the violin difficulty 10/10 and guitar 6/10. You can't just pick up and play a violin, get a teacher if you really want to learn.
GEAR

Hohner MR-800
B.C. Rich Rich Bich Platinum
MIC Squier Strat
Boss MT-2 Metalzone
Fab chorus
Fab echo
Fender Super champ XD
Last edited by KOL40 at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by KOL40
You can't just pick up and play a violin, get a teacher if you really want to learn.

Even though I don't play violin and never have, from what I've heard, this.
i went to guitar after liek 8 years of violin.
violin is incredibly difficult, the only way to gain profiency that you could be proud of is literally years of practice and a teacher.
a 12 year old can pick up a guitar and in a week and be like SMELLS LIEK TEEN SPRIRIT HELL YES. There is no early satisfaction like that in violin so you should only do it if you are committed.
I started taking up violin in high school after a few years of guitar on my own at home. It's not really too hard a transition, and it's relatively easy to play.

With something such as the violin, it's very easy to get that "feel" for music, as your hand position has to be right (no frets to help you) and the more you play the easier it is to get in the right position.
Definitely helped me play my guitar, and wasn't too hard to learn (so far).
That's awesome, I started with violin and now I'm doing guitar. Violin is such a beautiful sounding instrument, if you play it right.
Her friends are gazing on her,
And on her gaudy bier,
And weep!-oh! to dishonor
Dead beauty with a tear!
They loved her for her wealth-
And they hated her for her pride-
But she grew in feeble health,
And they love her-that she died.
Jean Luc-Ponty. That "van halen" on violin sucks
myspace.com/soundsofmeta
Yeah, I started on violin and then went to double bass, then bass guitar. If you have the discipline, you can end up being a really good violin player, just know it doesn't take much to learn the basics, but building from there is the difficult part...
Quote by Beakwithteeth
You=Gay

Don't play violin, play fiddle. It will make you cooler and it is less hard.

same thing.... *sigh*

i can tell you that having played calssicle bass 1 year cello 4years and viola 3years and I play cello in an orchestra...

so in conclution

SAME THING!!!
Quote by Cockpuncher 2.0
Congradulations, you are a genious even if you are intoxicated.

Quote by Godsmack_IV
lucky bastard and your knowlegde of chemical engineering...

Quote by FortuneFaded
you guys are geniuses.

Quote by tonedeafidiot
^That is genius!

:stickpoke why dose yellow hate blue? WHY!
Quote by Tommy Walker
No frets. Realize this. The bow takes about a year to get something that doesn't sound like complete ****.

No it doesn't. It takes like a few months to get a fairly decent sound out of the bow as long as you have a good teacher. I speak from my own experiences as a violinist. Although I switched to cello later on because I hated the way the violin sounded when playing way up the fingerboard.
Quote by MRavioli
real men play Viola.

Quite so. Viola FTW.
Quote by MeltingWaxFace
No, it's like using a PC for 15 years, then one day walking to it, booting it up and it's a violin.

Rather than be all elaborate about it, let's just cut the shit: get a teacher. You'll need one, at least for now.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Jan 18, 2009,
Its a humbling experience picking up a violin and trying to play it, even if you played a string instrument for years such as the guitar or bass. You never look at the guitar the same way again haha
You going from 6 stings E A D G B E to 4 stings G D A E...And you'll be using a bow.

Probably

__.-~~~~-.|___|___|__
_/********\_|___|___|
|*/**\**/**`~~~~~-.__
||****|**0*********@_
||****|***.********|_
\|****|***\*******/__
_\****/**/`~~~~~~`|__
_('--'""`)__|___|___|
Quote by Jesus
LedDaveZeppelin, You are so awesome.
It is completely different. Left hand technique is not transferable. I am learning viola and while I am still in the early stages, it is completely different.

I am also learning without a teacher, I'm not sure how that will turn out. If you can study other violin players and approach the instrument intuitively, you should be able to make great progress in a decent amount of time.

You will benefit more from playing music that you did from playing guitar. If you have a decent ear you should be alright. It's a totally different and more rewarding(imo) experience.

However, viola is where it's at; less whiny and much more manly.

edit: Proof of viola's superiority:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SOmeRJWlk5o
Last edited by gunther_sucks at Jan 18, 2009,
yeah Im picking up violin now (after playing guitar for awhile). I'll agree that its more difficult, but by no means is it impossible. And I bet I can get the bowing down fairly well in less than a year... as a matter of fact, Im willing to put money that I can do some neat stuff in less than a year (no paganini, of couse lol)...

it depends on how much you practice, really. If instead of practicing 1 hour a day, you practice, say, 15, you can get a theoretical 15 days of 1hr practice in one if you stay focused. do that every day and you can get somewhere fairly quickly Im sure

as a first song, Im trying to get down bach's chello suite #1 (transposed to the key of D, so I can play it on a 4 string violin), and while I sound bad right now, It doesnt seem to be an unrealistic goal, and Im not having nearly as much trouble as I thought I would (I was scared to death when I first got the thing lol)..

idk, I only have... not much experience at all. but I dont think it will be as difficult as everyone says it will. I'll get a teacher... when I get a job and enough money... I only know one good person thats like $50 a lesson, so f*** that right now, I have like $30 in total. but a teacher would always be good, however, with the internet and some determination, I believe anybody can teach themself anything
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by KOL40
It's not like on a guitar, as long as you are on the right fret is will be the same note. If you're playing say a G# in 5th position like he said one mm can change that to an A# (yes a whole step).

A slight exaggeration, of course. 1 mm of string length makes a whole step difference only when you're a mere 9 mm from the bridge. In real playing 1 mm makes a difference of several cents - an accuracy that's unachievable.
Page 1 of 2