I've been into photography for a while but have been stuck with a point and shoot which has been having pretty bad issues recently.
I'm looking to enter the SLR camera market, but am not sure what to get. My budget is anywhere from 3-650 dollars. I have no preference towards a specific brand.

Anyone got a recommendation?
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.
I use a nikon d50 but it's discontinued. I'm on yearbook and most photogs that I know at school and otherwise use nikons cause they're compatible with 30 yr. old nikon lens, but canons aren't compatible with their old ones. D40 and D60 are the most common ones the people I know have. The d40 would give you a decent camera with some extra cash to spend on other stuff. Don't get sucked into the d40x though. The extra megapixels are crammed into the same chip, so it's not really that big of an upgrade.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
Quote by Sam_Prillaman
I use a nikon d50 but it's discontinued. I'm on yearbook and most photogs that I know at school and otherwise use nikons cause they're compatible with 30 yr. old nikon lens, but canons aren't compatible with their old ones. D40 and D60 are the most common ones the people I know have. The d40 would give you a decent camera with some extra cash to spend on other stuff. Don't get sucked into the d40x though. The extra megapixels are crammed into the same chip, so it's not really that big of an upgrade.

+1
I have a Canon Rebel XS which I really like.
It comes with an Image Stabilizer lens which is really useful if you don't have a tripod and the image quality is really good.

I do believe that now BestBuy or photography stores sell it for $550 or less

But Nikon is also really good, I've used the D80 which is semi-pro
Are you talking about a DSLR or a standard SLR?
For a standard SLR I'd Recommend a Nikon N8008S
For a DSLR I'd Recommend a Nikon D60
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
wow, i'm so used to using digital now that I hadn't even considered he might one a regular old slr

my guess is you want digital, but if you want old school film, i love my nikon fm2
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
The Fm2 is nice, but it doesnt have the nice features of the N8008S. Also the benefit of the N8008S is that its got auto film speed set, and it tells you if your on perfect focus.

(I use film to photograph old cars for friends to send into magazines.)

Edit: The N8008S goes for about $150 (much less than the $400 I paid 4 years ago)
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
Last edited by Ranger01 at Jan 17, 2009,
Thanks for the input everyone!
apparently my friend has a nikon d50 which he doesn't use anymore due to having bought another camera. asked him and it looks like i'm getting that!
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
There's been sooo many threads done on this; I don't even wanna hear that you used the searchbar. Staring at it and giggling does not count.
The worlds fu cked up and we lit the fuse, its all used up what you gonna do?
I have an EOS-1000d. It's good but it's probably out of your budget
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by TheCore
I have a Canon Rebel XS which I really like.
It comes with an Image Stabilizer lens which is really useful if you don't have a tripod and the image quality is really good.

I do believe that now BestBuy or photography stores sell it for $550 or less

But Nikon is also really good, I've used the D80 which is semi-pro

i have this and its pretty good
i recently took these at a concert
they arent full edited they have only had their noise removed and it was take in a dark concert place and i had no flash LOL
www.tinypic.com/Rolling_thunder_productions
Quote by convictionless
i have this and its pretty good
i recently took these at a concert
they arent full edited they have only had their noise removed and it was take in a dark concert place and i had no flash LOL
www.tinypic.com/Rolling_thunder_productions

omg thats ****

who names their band after a mika song omg
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by titsmcgee852
I have an EOS-1000d. It's good but it's probably out of your budget

It's a good learners camera but the 450D (Canon's camera's get more expensive as the numbers get lower) is just brilliant for the price if you get the twin lense kit I have full access to my parents one with which we have two lenses and i couldn't ask for more in terms of a camera to use for my art major work.

Oh and recently my uncle gave me his old EOS 3000N 35mm SLR =D which is a really good platform for learning to use film..
I am me. Live with it.
Quote by titsmcgee852
omg thats ****

who names their band after a mika song omg

dont be making fun of my band, ive been playing more shows than you with them LOL
but seriosuly, i would suggest the canon rebel XS, its a GREAT camera.
Quote by convictionless
dont be making fun of my band, im a fag and i suck really hard LOL but seriosuly, i would suggest the canon rebel EOS-1000D, its a GREAT camera.

Fix'd
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Last edited by titsmcgee852 at Jan 18, 2009,
you know, since your my friend jack, i wont report you, but anyone else is free to do so.
I notice you took that link out of your sig too

Your lucky i didn't report yo' ass for that
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Mmmhmmm.

Are the pictures any good?

>_>

<_<
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Not sure if it is in your price range but id STRONGLY suggest a sony a300.
My friend just got one and the pictures it takes are amazing. It has live view and inbuilt image stabilization. Also the LCD screen pivots for those macro grass shots when you dont want to lie in the dirt. He got a good deal for $1100 AUD not sure if you are in oz or not. But it came with two lenses; one which has massive zoom and a shorter one. Also it came with a bag and a 4GB compact flash card.

If i had the money this is what i would buy.
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr