Right,

My first guitar was a cheap Les Paul's that came with a start kit (amp + stand + case), which cost my about £140 or so. The make of the guitar is Encore, if anyone's heard of it.

Here's the link to the model: Here

Anyways, I've got a Fender Strat as my main guitar now to go along with my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, so was thinking about making the Les Paul's a little project. But before I go jumping on ebay, I wanted to get some good sound of it. Want to have a alternative guitar to mess around with and also get to know the tonal difference of humbuckers and single coils. I guess they could come in handy for different types of music i try to play.

My question is, I know this isn't a Gibson or a Epi, but if i replaced the pickup humbuckers with some custom ones such as Seymour & Duncan or etc can I expect to get a good amount of sound tone and quality increase? Obviously realistically I ain't trying to match a Gibson with a £140 guitar, but how much of a improvement can I expect?

Cheers!
yea, of course changing those cheap ass pups would make a huge difference, but you cant change how it was constructed or the materials which also play a big role in sound of an instrument
If you really want to, go ahead. You can always put the pickups in a better guitar if you upgrade. That encore isnt going to sound that great no matter what you do to it. If you just want to get it sounding half decent so its actually presentable check out guitarfettish pickups. (google gfs pickups)
^ Yeah, straight up. You can always buy great pickups and switch them out to a better guitar later.

But here's you're problem with this guitar:

"Solid Wood Body"

The tonewood of a guitar is a principle factor in well, the tone, the sustain, and the sound of a guitar. A great pickup is just going to bring out more of the natural sound of your guitar. So there's only so much you can do. Plywood sounds like plywood. Now take a guitar like this:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492

With a mahogany body, the cheapest aspects of the guitar are the parts, and the pickups. Upgrading the pickups in that guitar would dramatically affect the sound because it has so much potential. The same thing goes for mexican strats and why they're so popular for customization, all the wood quality is there, the parts just need to be upgraded.

Hope that helps.
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
It will sound different than a gibson anyways. Its got a maple neck not many gibsons do. And most likely its gonna be something like agathis or basswood for the body. Not bad woods just not as well liked as mahogany or alder. To be sure the pickups are gonna be junk, as they can always be swapped later a set of pickups wouldnt hurt just hold on to the old ones. Its always good to have a second different sounding guitar. You might even like it. I used to be a strat single coil player but now I like LPs with humbuckers.
Cheers for replies guys, was somewhat thinking about putting Kent Armstrong HRO WPUJB Pickups on it. Here

The guitar itself has some sentimental value as it is the first Electric guitar I picked up. Quality isn't bad, but it seems I've grown somewhat used to how the guitar actually feels, more so than my recently bought Strat which Im still getting used to.

Keep the replies coming!
Last edited by Noir17 at Jan 18, 2009,
Hello there, its a bit late in the day but they put this set in the Jim Reed PRS. They're very good quality for the money.Sound really bell like tapped and dirty up nicely.Taking it that your guitar isn't a complete pile of junk then these would be an excellent match IMHO.
If you've already bought and fitted them i'd be interested to hear what you think of them.
Cheers
Mike
BTW i used to own an early Encore strat that i used for experimental purposes.I replace the machines with Gotoh vintage, all the wiring and PUPs so i ended up with an Ibanez bucker in the bridge and two American standard singles in the middle and neck.
The guitar was a killer, very meaty in the bridge and convincingly strat like in the other positions, all for pennies.
I agree about the quality of woods used etc but i wouldn't get too hung up on it, your ability, allied to some half right PUPs on a guitar that is atleast made of wood is enough for a lot of people.If you're happy with it, thats great.
Like someone else has said you could always put the old PUPs back in if you got the urge to move the guitar on.If you like that Les Paul then i'd save up and then buy a Greco. Gibson for Epi money.
Last edited by micthetic at Feb 14, 2010,
Ok , i know, but its Sunday morning and i'm bored! You could try a set of Irongear Rolling Mills, Hot Slags or Steam Hammers, they're all around £55 a set, the mills are PAFs, Slags souped up & the Steam Hammers are nitro.They can be coil tapped, i put a set of Slags in an Epi recently ,they were a hell of a lot better than the stock PUPs and that coil tap gave the guitar much better flexibility.
Quote by micthetic
Ok , i know, but its Sunday morning and i'm bored! You could try a set of Irongear Rolling Mills, Hot Slags or Steam Hammers, they're all around £55 a set, the mills are PAFs, Slags souped up & the Steam Hammers are nitro.They can be coil tapped, i put a set of Slags in an Epi recently ,they were a hell of a lot better than the stock PUPs and that coil tap gave the guitar much better flexibility.

This. Irongear rocks.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Make sure you know what the wood is, because a few cheap guitars like my cruiser rg600 which cost a mere £85 actually sounds great because it has a basswood body which is cheap but sounds good (Joe Satriani's signature series uses basswood) and my Dad's bass guitar cost £115 and actually has an alder body. Just shows that, in some rare cases, cheap guitars can be made of some decent materials.
However, I hold little hope that an Encore would be made out of a good quality wood, especially if it was sold as a starter kit rather than on it's own.
I couldn't be arsed making up a good username so I used my name and some random numbers.

Gear:
Ibanez JS1200
Yamaha APX700
Roland Cube 60