About a week ago, I played for about 20 hours straight without stopping. This was a bad idea, evidently, because at the end of the practice session I was in a large amount of pain, and my hand lost it's muscle memory as far as the fretboard is concerned.

Well, here I am a week later, and still I am unable to play as fast or fluent as I could before the said incident. My hand is stiff, I can't move it nearly as fast, and it gets sore around 30 minutes of playing.

Could I have injured myself so severely that I won't recover? My hand doesn't hurt really, it's just sore and stiff. Yet, if it's just a simple strain, why can I not play as fast or remember certain phrases?
I highly doubt you played for 20 hours straight.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by Russell.Thayer
About a week ago, I played for about 20 hours straight without stopping. This was a bad idea, evidently, because at the end of the practice session I was in a large amount of pain, and my hand lost it's muscle memory as far as the fretboard is concerned.

Well, here I am a week later, and still I am unable to play as fast or fluent as I could before the said incident. My hand is stiff, I can't move it nearly as fast, and it gets sore around 30 minutes of playing.

Could I have injured myself so severely that I won't recover? My hand doesn't hurt really, it's just sore and stiff. Yet, if it's just a simple strain, why can I not play as fast or remember certain phrases?

Well, there's your problem. *reported*
You're*
i don't believe you about practicing for 20 hours straight. more like masturbating for 20 hours straight. oh well, just cut it off.
bull.

i call bs.

EDIT: even if you fapped for 20 hours, b.s.
that would be like, dry shooting after 2 hours.
Free at last! Free at last! God Almighty FREE AT LAST!
I Pan-Tallica
Last edited by teensean at Jan 17, 2009,
Doubt whatever you want, Jack. Don't tell me what I did and did not do.

I was on the medication Methylphenidate, and in higher doses it causes those sorts of binges and hyper focused mentality.

Stupid? Obviously so. Yet true all the same.
No you didn't play for 20 hours. if you did you wouldn't be able to move your hand at all.

if you did
then good. your stupidity and carelessness for your arm/hand should be punished by you not being able to play guitar for the rest of your life.
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Damn, after 2 hours I give. 20 seems outrageous. Most likely a full recovery if you stopped playing the same speed you were before and let it heal.
Eternity isn't long
If all you so is sleep
And forever is just a little while
If all you do is dream.

All Alone is All we Are
This is merely an attempt to get some good advice on what to do, from others who have gone through something similar. If you don't believe it, don't post. Sheesh.
dont play at all for a week. it might be hard not to but it will probably help.
I don't think your hand could be injured so severely that you won't use your hand.
just stop play the guitar for a while and when it's not sore anymore you can play it
Quote by blackthought
As a doctor, I must advise you to perform a self-amputation of your hand. Make sure you clean the knife first.

I hear that a rusty knife would do a better job, plus gang green is quite popular in parts of the US
Okay the cutting off the hand thing isn't funny anymore.

Does anyone recommend certain medications or stretching exercises?
1. You're a fucking idiot. You shouldn't have played for that long, and should have stopped the moment you started feeling pain.

2.The Pit is not a goddamn doctor. If you're really concerned about it, go see a real doctor, not a bunch of 14 year olds.
Cut off your hand and sell your guitar, or give it away.

Your hand, I mean. Give it to me. I mean to use it for masturbatory purposes.
Okay, go **** yourselves and moderator delete this thread. You talk about 14 year olds, yet your behavior seems much more fitting to the age group of 10!! That goes for everyone on here. Sorry for asking other musicians for advice, or trying to get feedback on a legitimate issue.
No problem man.
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Doctor?
Her friends are gazing on her,
And on her gaudy bier,
And weep!-oh! to dishonor
Dead beauty with a tear!
They loved her for her wealth-
And they hated her for her pride-
But she grew in feeble health,
And they love her-that she died.
You come here asking for advice and when we all give you legitimate advice from our very hearts you get all pissy and sandy-vaginaesque.

What the ****, dude?
Quote by blackthought
Pfft, the whole "rusty knife" thing is just a fad. Kids these days...

I thought the gang green was the fad <_<
Quote by eazy-c
I highly doubt you played for 20 hours straight.

Count me in.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Please people,
Last.fm

"Music is a language of emotion. It informs our words with FEELING, and doesn't need to be learned.. It's visceral and innate" - Jason Silva
there are doctors, and then there are the Pit.

how you confuse one with the other is beyond me.
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
Quote by creeping.death!
1. You're a fucking idiot. You shouldn't have played for that long, and should have stopped the moment you started feeling pain.

2.The Pit is not a goddamn doctor. If you're really concerned about it, go see a real doctor, not a bunch of 14 year olds.

if he did play for 20 hours, hes dedicated, unlike you?
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
i played for 30hours straight on a cocain binge over the summer but i got better... probably because i played for 30hours

troll,

not because of the play time but the "injury"
Quote by Cockpuncher 2.0
Congradulations, you are a genious even if you are intoxicated.

Quote by Godsmack_IV
lucky bastard and your knowlegde of chemical engineering...

Quote by FortuneFaded
you guys are geniuses.

Quote by tonedeafidiot
^That is genius!

:stickpoke why dose yellow hate blue? WHY!
Quote by fender4482
if he did play for 20 hours, hes dedicated, unlike you?

No, he's an idiot who doesn't know when to stop. It's pretty obvious that playing that long without breaks it's going to almost definitely develop injuries.
What a load of f*cking bullsh*t.
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...