so i heard the news YouTube is muting videos with unauthorized copyrighted music:
http://mashable.com/2009/01/14/youtube-mutes-videos/

Does anyone know how this will play out amoung the many videos on YouTube that are covers.

And what are the Pros of doing this, your removing self promotion and making videos ****ty with (usally) no good music. I'm not that effected because I make the music that i put in my videos, so I won't be effected at all unless covers are being removed/muted (because I like to make covers every one in a while).
havnt seen it on any covers but ive seen a few music videos
Quote by smb
Further proof, if proof were needed, that Bill Gates planned 9/11 with Elvis.
no it wont affect the covers, they seem to be only doing it to the bands most popular song. but it makes me really mad, one of my favorite music videos has no sound now, why do they think this is a good idea?
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
They've already started doing this and they've took alot of audio off alot of videos. some of them just cut out and some havem no audio whatsoever. You can still watch official videos and stuff though.
Sig space available, give me some praise
It's no surprise Youtube are finally taking action on copyrighted material, they have always done so, just slowly.

Youtube always has and always will be a site for video blogging, and user generated content, all else is really just asking to be taken down.
woah all of my videos have music in them ;[
Quote by Carmel
You are a redeeming feature for the UG Swedish population.

All-riiight.
YouTube is getting ****ing ridicolous now

Corporate bull**** is not what YT was about

First locking some videos by region, now this...
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
I've seen this happening....I was looking up the video for When The Children Cry by White Lion and the main one had the sound completely cut off. It really does suck.

EDIT: I have a hypothetical question here. If my band did a music video but the record company that we're signed to held the rights to the video and I posted it on my personal youtube account, would it still get muted?
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
you are a real guitarist when you are not ashamed about masturbating to musicians friend magazine.
Last edited by goth clash at Jan 18, 2009,
Quote by nightraven
remove the details of what band is playing from the description of the video, the title of the video and all the tags

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6vlcPne-Yw

do you think they'll mute videos like that?

I've already had a couple of mixes removed for copyright though

and if I remove everything from the description people will start asking what bands are playing

NOTE: I am not self-advertising
Quote by Carmel
You are a redeeming feature for the UG Swedish population.

All-riiight.
Last edited by billybusa at Jan 18, 2009,
Good, the only thing I still use YouTube for will be gone.

YouTube can rot in internet hell, along with all the stupid 12 year olds and annoying bloggers who use it.
Oh get over it.
If you try to correct me
I will become alot more wise and insightful than you can possibly imagine.
Pretty sure it won't count for covers, man. Plus, there's no way they can moderate the mass of content that's on Youtube.

Don't worry about it. It'l be more aimedat the people who put a bands entire discography on Youtube and then just have a graphic of the band the entire time the song is playing.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
i dont understand this considering youtube came to an agreement not so long ago with the MPA over copyrighted videos. they basically agreed on a lump sum so that covers, music videos and other uses of music would become legit.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
The cooperate world is slowly destroying what music is supposed to be about.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Ibanez released a video about the EGEN (herman li's sig guitar, i was bored). the sound had been muted, on an Ibanez official video because it has through the fire and flames (surprise surprise), and Herman Li is in the video.

*facepalm*
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by Ichikurosaki
It's no surprise Youtube are finally taking action on copyrighted material, they have always done so, just slowly.

Youtube always has and always will be a site for video blogging, and user generated content, all else is really just asking to be taken down.

Go back to your Bebo and Myspace. Youtube has been fine for having your music videos and blogs on one site. This is Youtube cutting down on any chance of getting sued. Though the only person I could think of that would sue Youtube is Lars Ulrich.

Time to make a new site... Hertubes.com sound good?
This may be our queue to start using things like DailyMotion and MegaVideo...even though they suck at the moment, they could improve if everyone switched to them. Plus, I think DailyMotion is hosted in France, so US copyright laws wouldn't affect... But there always is international ones... >.>
I think UG should create a video website...
They took down one of my videos that had like 1:30 of a song on it....
that video had almost 8000 views
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/