I was playing my MIM strat today. Its trouble at times, sometimes it feels like buzzin away, or rattling when I am fingerpicking (but im really picky, everyone says its a great MIM strat) Not that I dont like it, but sometimes its difficult to play. Today I was playing through Jack Johnsons "Flake" which I know how to play, but it was so difficult to get the barre chords through without buzz. I bought this guitar in August, and its great for all around lead stuff (if you can ignore a horrible annoying overtone coming over my Peavey Blazer 158) Now Im thinking of getting a good acoustic, since it seems like it is easier to write with an acoustic (am i wrong?) and it sounds so much better playing clean things. Something else frustrates me, and thats that I hear so many great clean stuff coming out of Strats (such as Frusciante, when hes not using an acoustic). Does it look like I need some fix ups? Any suggestions? (Dont say MIA strat, I dont have the money at the moment, but believe me, I will get one someday)
Action...

Neck might not be straight...

Uneven frets...

Pickup height...

The best acoustic for the price is the Parkwood 320M.
Agreed. I adjusted my pickup height though, no matter where i move them, meh, its still doing that whole overtone. Maybe its my pickups as a whole. I think Ill have to try again to make sure. Looks like I can do everything but the frets. Would I need all of my frets replaced? or just filed? and what are the disadvantages of it and what would be the costs.

Also, I just checked out the Parkwood 320M, and its a bit out of my range. (the prices I saw were around $950) I am getting a job soon, but its a little spendy, especially since I am wanting an American Strat, around the same price. What other acoustics are good, durable, and in a $200 to $400 range? (A little low, but I have alot to get, pedals, new amp, etc)
It may be something as simple as the relief in the neck not being set correctly. I would take to a good shop and ask them to do a setup on it and explain the problems you are having.
Quote by AlskiOverload
Agreed. I adjusted my pickup height though, no matter where i move them, meh, its still doing that whole overtone. Maybe its my pickups as a whole. I think Ill have to try again to make sure. Looks like I can do everything but the frets. Would I need all of my frets replaced? or just filed? and what are the disadvantages of it and what would be the costs.

Also, I just checked out the Parkwood 320M, and its a bit out of my range. (the prices I saw were around $950) I am getting a job soon, but its a little spendy, especially since I am wanting an American Strat, around the same price. What other acoustics are good, durable, and in a $200 to $400 range? (A little low, but I have alot to get, pedals, new amp, etc)

The Parkwood 320M IS $400.00. Never buy at list price!

I have one. Very easy to play, nice, simple look, open pore finish on the sides and backs, and incredible sound. Not to mention complete solid wood with a satin finish.
Last edited by AcousticLesPaul at Jan 18, 2009,
When it comes to the new acoustic, I would suggest looking at Seagull. They make some great guitars.
Strats & Seagulls
Quote by AcousticLesPaul
The Parkwood 320M IS $400.00. Never buy at list price!

I have one. Very easy to play, nice, simple look, open pore finish on the sides and backs, and incredible sound. Not to mention complete solid wood with a satin finish.

I guess some online retailers do retail price
I checked Musiciansfriend.com and it was $500. Where can you get it for $400?
It looks amazing! Its also something I never would have found alone. Thank you.
How versitile is it? Is it good for really walloping on it? Is it durable? (I know, its bad for a guitar, but I have a habit)
Ive always been kind of worried about acoustics, with having humidifiers, hard to adjust, etc. Is it pretty reliable?
Quote by AlskiOverload
I guess some online retailers do retail price
I checked Musiciansfriend.com and it was $500. Where can you get it for $400?
It looks amazing! Its also something I never would have found alone. Thank you.
How versitile is it? Is it good for really walloping on it? Is it durable? (I know, its bad for a guitar, but I have a habit)
Ive always been kind of worried about acoustics, with having humidifiers, hard to adjust, etc. Is it pretty reliable?

It's very durable. Sitka Spruce top is used foor Steel String guitars for that reason.

You can get classical sounds out of it, nice country twang, smooth ambient sounds... REALLY Responsive to pick attack. It's dropped about 3 feet off of a wall hanger and nothing happened to it. Maybe I got lucky, but still.

WOW! Lol, it was $399.99 yesterday, and I got mine for $275.00 a little while back. Price increase much?
ARGH, What a time for a price increase. Hopefully the price drops back down by the middle of next month. $275 would be heaven.

Do you ever have issues with not being able to reach past the 12th fret? I know alot of acoustics dont have cuttaways, but it seems like something that would limit you. I guess you could get use to hand gymnastics, but my friends Fender is the same way. (I guess I have two other guitars to use if I need to)
I'd recommend lowering how much you plan to spend on the acoustic and get the strat set up; I have a MIM Standard myself, I had similar problems until I went and got it a pro-setup.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
Ive been wanting/needing an acoustic for a while, and $15 a month on credit isnt too bad for me. (I can just save the rest for the American Strat, or a nice setup)
But also, Ive been wondering about the Blues Junior (which i see in your sig) Is it as great as I have heard?
Quote by AlskiOverload
ARGH, What a time for a price increase. Hopefully the price drops back down by the middle of next month. $275 would be heaven.

Do you ever have issues with not being able to reach past the 12th fret? I know alot of acoustics dont have cuttaways, but it seems like something that would limit you. I guess you could get use to hand gymnastics, but my friends Fender is the same way. (I guess I have two other guitars to use if I need to)

The neck joint on the Parkwood is at the 15th fret
I would get the strat set up professionally and whatnot.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks