EDIT - I'M NOW CONSIDERING CHANGING BOTH PICKUPS TO SEYMOUR DUNCANS

I've had my Jackson DKMGT for nearly half a year, it's an awesome electric guitar, but I'm not really a fan of the EMG 85/81 pickup combo (not trying to join any bandwagon, but it's taken me a while to decide which flavor of pickups I like). I was thinking about performing a modification on it, replacing the EMG 85/81 with Seymour Duncan 59'/TB-4. This will be a change from active pickups to passive pickups.

This mod would pretty much leave the guitar as a hybrid between these 2 guitars:

Jackson DKMGT
* EMG 81 (bridge)
* EMG 85 (neck)

Jackson DK2T
* Seymour Duncan JB TB-4 pickup (bridge)
* Seymour Duncan Jazz SH2N pickup (neck)

Here's a question I have, assuming this modification is possible:

* What are the differences between the Seymour Duncan TB-4 & the SH-4? I've read that the TB-4 is for guitars with a floating tremolo (which the DKMGT doesn't have), so maybe I'm better off with an SH-4?

Again, this is assuming this is possible!

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by keennay at Jan 25, 2009,
It would definitely be /easier/ to replace both pickups (and in my opinion would sound better)
By having passive and active pups in the same guitar, you end up having problems to deal with. There's a product by EMG that amplifies your passive pickup to match the EMG so that you can use the EMG pots.
I don't know a lot, but there's the bit that I do
actives and passives cannot be combined unless you put in two output jacks in your guitar. Dont even waste your time
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
This from EMG's website:

Can I mix EMGs with passive pickups?
It is possible to mix EMG's with passive pickups.
There are three possible wiring configurations; one is better than the other two.

1.Use the high impedance (250K-500K) volume and tone controls.
The problem is that the high impedance controls act more like a switch to the EMG's.
The passive pickups, however, will work fine.
If you have a guitar with two pickups and two volume pots, with a three-way switch, there is another alternative.
Use the 25K pots for the EMG, and the 250K or 500k pots for the passive pickup.
This way you can use one or the other with no adverse affects,
but with the switch in the middle position the passive pickup will have reduced gain and response.

2.Use the low-impedance (25K) volume and tone controls provided with the EMG's.
The problem here is that the passive pickups will suffer a reduction in gain and loss of high-frequency response.

3.This is the best alternative.
Install an EMG-PA-2 on the passive pickups. There are two benefits to doing this.
With the trimpot on the PA-2, you can adjust the gain of the passive pickups to match the EMG's.
The PA-2 acts as an impedance matching device so you can use the low-impedance EMG controls (25K) without affecting the tone
of the passive pickups.
You will also be able to use other EMG accessory circuits such as the SPC, RPC, EXB, EXG, etc.
For this application, we recommend ordering the PA-2 without the switch for easy installation on the inside of a guitar.

As far as the Seymour Duncan pickup you want the JB model is a bridge pickup. They don't make a neck version of it. The SH-4 & TB-4 sound the same the only difference is that the pole peices on the TB-4 are a little farther apart. If you want to put one in the neck of your guitar (even though it's a bridge pickup) you will need the SH-4 version. I think you should consider trying an EMG 60 if you don't like 85. That would be easier than mixing active and passive pickups in that guitar. You could even put an active Seymour Duncan in place of the 85. The Dave Mustaine Live Wire set was designed to be active versions of the SH-4 JB & SH-2n Jazz pickups. You may want to check those out.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by fuzzyDXMG
actives and passives cannot be combined unless you put in two output jacks in your guitar. Dont even waste your time

that's false
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Hmm, I stand corrected! I thought you needed at least 2 vol. controls (which his ax does not have) again i stand corrected.
still not worth it
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
Thanks for the help guys. My new goal is to change both EMG pickups to Seymour Duncans of my choice. I'm not trying to join any bandwagon, but it's taken me a while to decide which flavor of pickups I like best.

I was thinking about performing a modification on it, replacing the EMG 85/81 combo with Seymour Duncan 59'/TB-4 combo. This will be a change from active pickups to passive pickups.

In the worst case scenario, I can resell my Jackson DKMGT guitar on eBay (since I purchased it at an incredibly cheap price), purchase a Jackson DK2T & change the neck pickup to a TB-4), but I'm a fan of the DKMGT design.
Bear in mind you'll probably want to change the pots from 25k to 500k and get a cap for the tone control if you're switching from actives to passives. ($10 max) Also may need to wire a bridge-ground if one isn't there (EMG don't use/need them).

If you can define what's wrong with your current EMGs and what you want from your next pickups you'll get a 1000 +1 suggestions, some of which will be useful
Quote by bellerophon
If you can define what's wrong with your current EMGs and what you want from your next pickups you'll get a 1000 +1 suggestions, some of which will be useful

My Response:

Quote by keennay
Thanks for the help guys. My new goal is to change both EMG pickups to Seymour Duncans of my choice. I'm not trying to join any bandwagon, but it's taken me a while to decide which flavor of pickups I like best.

I was thinking about performing a modification on it, replacing the EMG 85/81 combo with Seymour Duncan 59'/TB-4 combo. This will be a change from active pickups to passive pickups.

I never stated there was anything wrong with the EMG's

I've had the guitar for a while now and tested many other guitars with the same pickups + similar Jackson models with Seymour Duncan pickups on my amp. I've decided that I prefer the 59'/TB-4 flavor with the style of music I play, but thanks!
Fair one.

All I meant was, if you defined what you were looking for another user might have the ideal pickup in mind for you, not necessarily a 'big' name like SD.

If you know what you're after though then all power to you!
Ahh, no prob!

I lean towards Blues & Rock. The heaviest I'll do is Dan Donegan's (Disturbed) tone, but my Randall RG50TC Tube amp can pretty much achieve similar tones. I'm not really much into a metal tone (I thought I was when I first purchased the guitar, but boy was I wrong)! I wasn't really into the EMG 85 tone, regardless of the amp my guitar was played on.

Ok, here's what I may consider. I may just resell this guitar and purchase a Jackson DKMGT Transparent Red (with EMGHZ, passives), then I'll replace the passives with the Seymour Duncan passives of my choice. Hopefully, would it be easier to install passive Seymour Duncans on a guitar with EMGHZs (passives), or would there be no difference in difficulty if I just replace my current guitar that already have EMGs (actives)?

So now, I'm looking at a Seymour Duncan 59'/TB-4 combo, but with the style of music I listed above, would this be a good choice (maybe SH-2/TB-4)? Again, I'm all for trying things out with my own ear, but all suggestions are welcome!
DO NOT USE THE EMG HZ PASSIVE PICKUPS.

They're poorly made, and you'll be much happier with the Seymours or otherwise.

Look into any combo of JB, Invader, 59 and SH-4, choose the positions you like, and find the 2 that you think will sound good for what you like to play. It'll be much better.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
DO NOT USE THE EMG HZ PASSIVE PICKUPS.

They're poorly made, and you'll be much happier with the Seymours or otherwise.

Look into any combo of JB, Invader, 59 and SH-4, choose the positions you like, and find the 2 that you think will sound good for what you like to play. It'll be much better.
You didn't read my above post. Please reread it, because unfortunately your current post helps me very little.
The difference between changing a guitar with actives to passives and a guitar with passives to passives is minimal.

In fact if anything it's arguably easier to swap in new components and start fresh rather than waste time de-soldering and re-soldering.
Ok, I have everything finalized now.

I'm going to replace my EMG 85 (neck) & EMG 81 (bridge) with a Seymour Duncan 59' (neck) & Seymour Duncan TB-4 (bridge). I'm choosing the TB-4 instead of the SH-4 because other similar models of Jackson guitars have the TB-4 in the bridge, but apparently I can't find an SH-2N/TB-4 combo.

I'd really like to do everything myself, but how difficult would it be rewiring everything for the Seymour Duncan pickups? Would there need to be any additional materials I'd need to purchase in order to have a 100% successful installation?

Thanks for all of the help so far!
Just the bits I said in post 8 really. Both pickups have 4 wire cable so can be wired for a variety of different sounds or left 'normal' if you don't need the choice

Seymour Duncan has some of the easiest to understand diagrams:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

Are you planning on sticking with the master vol and tone setup? Might be able to use concentric pots for a separate vol + tone for each pickup (cost slightly more though) but the recessed knobs might make it difficult
Thanks! Seems much easier to just buy a Jackson DK2T (Transparent Black) & replace the neck with that from the DKMGT, but I'll keep everyone updated.
So here's what I've decided. I could try to purchase a Jackson DK2T Transparent Black (good luck finding one priced as low as the DKMGT I purchased), but I'd much rather customize my own guitar! I realize a guitar pickup isn't the only factor to an overall tone, but I've looked at my 2 favorite guitar musicians' guitars and decided what I'd actually like in my guitar.

Dan Donegan (Disturbed):
- Washburn Maya DD 91
----- Seymour Duncan® 59' SH-1 (neck)
----- Seymour Duncan® El Diablo (bridge)

Jun Senoue (Crush 40):
- ESP George Lynch Kamikaze
-----ESP SS-120 (neck)
-----Seymour Duncan® Screamin’ Demon SH-12/TB-12 (bridge)

So I've decided that my decision on the 59' SH-1 in the neck and a TB-4 in the bridge is final. Now off to some wiring diagrams, unless there exists a tutorial for replacing EMG active pickups with Seymour Duncan passive pickups.
you dont need a tutorial. You have to take absolutely everything out (all the electronics): Pots, jack pickups, not the switch. Then replace the pots with 500k pots and get a mono jack. if you need a wiring diagram check out Seymour Duncan wiring diagrams
Dude, throw and EMG 60 in place of the 85. I also suggest the 18v mod
Roll off the 81's volume a bit and re-EQ the amp.
You would be amazed at what you can get out of the EMG's
18v and a 60 and I'll bet you'll be happy
(I had the same ideas and thats the route I took)
Okay, so my final decision is to switch the EMG 85/81 pickup combo with the Seymour Duncan SH-1/TB-12 pickup combo.

Since I'm planning on doing all of this by myself, I'm eyeing two different diagrams on the Seymour Duncan site:

2 Humbuckers, 1 Volume, 1 Tone, 3 Way Switch
&
2 Humbuckers, 1 Volume, 1 Tone, 3 Way Switch, Phase

I don't quite understand the difference between them (Phase & no Phase). I'm guessing my configuration should be the one without a phase. Also, what are some recommended sites (besides eBay) for purchasing new 500k potentiometers, switches, a .047 capacitor, etc? Are there specific brands I should look out for?

Below is a photo of the electronics compartment of my Jackson DKMGT. I know I will need to replace the pots with 500k versions, but would I have to replace the pickup switch, or is it best to desolder the pre-existing wires and use that one?

You can use the switch and just solder the hot from the new pickups where the old ones were and the hot from the switch to the jack.

Most common pots are CTS and Alpha pots. Most commonly recommended caps are probably Sprague Orange Drop caps. Google for the best deals for you/your area.

The phase diagram from SD is to switch the HBs phasing to produce a thin squawky sound. Again just google guitar out of phase and check some soundclips. It isn't necessary unless you want that tone.
if you want to get fancy you could try 2 concentric pots. both tone and volume. on cleaner settings with both pickups activated you can really open up a lot of tonal variation by rolling off the volume on one or the other pickup
I have everything down now, except the 0.47 capacitor. I'm checking out Orange Sprague capacitors on eBay and I see 200V, 400V, 600V.

Which should I go for? Would it matter?
So apparently I purchased CTS long shaft 500k pots (since my previous pots appeared to be long shaft 250k, EMG brands), but it's actually quite bigger than I expected. So now I'm going for CTS short shaft 500k pots.
Okay, so I'm using the "2 Humbuckers, 1 Volume, 1 Tone, 3 Way Switch" Seymour Duncan wiring for my Jackson DKMGT. I've soldered everything together (pickups to the volume pot, capacitor, etc) except the Volume & Tone potentiometers to the 3 way switch. I tried testing the guitar on my amp, but there was no sound.

So my question is: do my potentiometers have to be soldered to the 3 way switch in order to have some sort of sound?
Just wired/soldered everything. Sucks, as it looks like I'm not receiving any sound. Looks like I may have to send this to a tech. :-/
This was actually finished around June of this year. Successfully swapped an EMG 85/81 combo with a Seymour Duncan '59 SH-1/Screamin' Demon TB-12 combo.

Sounds amazing!

Last edited by keennay at Dec 28, 2009,