im currently looking at a fender frontman 65r, and i want to know if it has a nice clean tone cause i need a clean tone to run my pedals through and i heard fenders have some of the best clean tone, please help!!!, if you have any suggestions, they would also be helpfull
If you have a grand to spare, go with the Princeton Reverb. By far one of the better amps I've played from Fender. Beautiful clean sound. Also good for blues, rock, punk, anything not to extreme.
depends what kind of tone you want i persoanlly hate fender amps' clean tone cause its too thin and trebly.
Don't get the FM65R, they're really bad and do not take pedals well at all. Go with a Hot Rod Deluxe if you can shell out the extra money. Go tube if you get Fender, most of their SS amps are pretty lame.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
i played hardcore/rock/metal music live with my band through my school band director's fender amp he let us use(i also play the trumpet(and drums and bass but that's not relevant)) and i absolutely loved it. if you have the right pedals, it should work rather nicely for anything you can throw at it. wish i had my own.

dunno if it was a frontman, i think it said like "stage 100" on it. but i imagine they're fairly similar?
Quote by metaldud536
Because there is a bomb in the lasagna!

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
make loud howling noises and throw your feces at them whenever they bring it up, I suggest that your GF does the same.
Yes its true that fender has amazing clean tones....

....Its also true that this only counts for their tube amps....

If your strapped for cash a blues jr has a nice clean sound to it....

OK SCRATCH ALL OF THAT

If your looking for metal tone... at least get a bugera... there not bad at all for that kinda stuff, if you got the money go for a 5150 or 6150
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Last edited by Ninja Penguin77 at Jan 17, 2009,
OK.

MOST Fender Amps dominated the sound of the 60's and 70's, and are still found in most clean guitar music.

Twin Reverb, Princeton, etc.

Even some Solid State Fenders sound great clean.

The Frontman Series is a beginner level entry amp. It will do fine, but won't sound the greatest once you realize how good amps can sound.
Last edited by AcousticLesPaul at Jan 18, 2009,
Frontmans have decent clean tones, but not great by any means. If you're wanting to use pedals for distortion, don't. You'll be much better off buying and amp that does good clean and distortion
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by SalemREIGN
Marshall.

MArshall.

Marshall.

Maybe a Mesa.

*contines to pet the Marshall*

If he was only looking at the 65r then all he could probably get at the same price in marshall would be a MG.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
OK, enough with all of this contradicting advice.. i will give you an unbiased (try to at least) statement on the cleans of fenders

Fender is known for it's tube amps. The classic "fender cleans" that are talked about are in their Tube amps. This includes hot rod deluxe, dual reverb ect. Their cleans are nice sounding to many, myself included as i used to use a HRD at my drummer's house. It could get over a hard hitting drummer cleanly with a subtle crunch that added flavor more than anything, and would take pedals great.

The Frontman series is the Fender version of the Marshall MG series. They are starter amps. Yes, they do have big high wattage models, but they sound the same as the small ones, and they do not sound good by any means and are generally considered a waste of money because for the price, there are decent Tube amps.

What this all means (biased part starts now) is that the frontman is a piece of **** and if you buy it, you will be disappointed in a few months when the "new amp" feeling wears off. If you have the money, get a fender tube amp, as it has great loud cleans, it's tube, and it's versatile. It has multiple channels, gizmo's, switches, knobs, bells and whistles that are all great. go for that so you don't waste your money

i hope this cleared it up once and for all

oh, and for the person that said their frontman had good cleans - solid state amps don't get more distorted as the volume is turned up. They sound the same at low volume as they do cranked, the only difference is the sound of solid state capacitor clipping. this is a huge reason that most people try and upgrade to tube amps. It sounds like a farting type noise at the beginning of a note. So although the signal doesn't get distorted into gain, it clips instead and sounds worse
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
If you like a really clean tone that doesn't have any gain, and you like the distortion on pedals, then this would be a good choice.

If you like a slightly overdriven clean, and don't really like pedal distortion then no.
Quote by SalemREIGN
Marshall.

MArshall.

Marshall.

Maybe a Mesa.

*contines to pet the Marshall*

Go and pet your MG somewhere else. Marshalls don't do fendery clean tones so that's a pointless suggestion.

Solid state fender amps don't really have the famous clean tone - i think you should check out the hot rod deluxe, blues junior, pro junior etc for proper fender cleans at affordable prices.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I disagree, my JTM45 does a great tweed Bassman impression.

It's hard to characterize an entire line of amps though, not all Fenders sound alike.

And the Frontman's cleans are terrible. No character, no complex harmonic overtones, very one dimensional, flat and sterile sound.

As for the original question about how clean a Fender is, it's entirely dependent on an amp.

A Deluxe reverb, Super reverb are not that clean compared to say... a Twin.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 18, 2009,
Quote by al112987
I disagree, my JTM45 does a great tweed Bassman impression.

It's hard to characterize an entire line of amps though, not all Fenders sound alike.

And the Frontman's cleans are terrible. No character, no complex harmonic overtones, very one dimensional, flat and sterile sound.

As for the original question about how clean a Fender is, it's entirely dependent on an amp.

A Deluxe reverb, Super reverb are not that clean compared to say... a Twin.

Yeah, i was in a bit of a rush and that post came out like a noobish generalisation like all the people who say "line 6 sucks"... forgot to add the word "generally".

But i redeemed myself in the post slightly by recommending some affordable amps which can give you the 'proper' fender clean tone.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
If you check out all of the reviews on Harmony Central and musiciansfriend, you will see that many do not think the Frontman's take pedals well. I went through a FM kick before deciding it wasnt the amp for me. Save for a decent tube amp. Peavey VK takes pedals pretty well, and I agree a Princeton Reverb would be very nice.