My band needs some synth, but we don't know enough about Controllers to make a good decision. So far we are looking at a Korg MicroKorg, and a Native Instruments MASCHINE. The MASCHINE seemed a little too complicated, and we're afraid the MicroKorg can't get the ambient sounds we're looking for. Does anyone know or have experience with any Keyboard/MIDI controllers?
Oh, and we play Underoath-ish music, and we like the ambient, smooth sounds they have. Something to emulate that would be great.
I really like the Kaoss Pad 3. Tons of effects, and can be used to control MIDI. If you're looking at a keyboard, just buy a small USB keyboard, get some synth software, and play to your hearts content.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
A Kaoss Pad is an effects proccessor - it does not generate sound in a any way. I suggest using a laptop with some kind of interface (Focusrite Saffire, etc...) and a MIDI keyboard. That way you pretty much have endless possibilities sound-wise. E-Mu, Edirol and M-Audio all make fairly good cheap MIDI controllers.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
A Kaoss Pad is an effects proccessor - it does not generate sound in a any way. I suggest using a laptop with some kind of interface (Focusrite Saffire, etc...) and a MIDI keyboard. That way you pretty much have endless possibilities sound-wise. E-Mu, Edirol and M-Audio all make fairly good cheap MIDI controllers.

It does, on some patches.

And I did recommend a MIDI keyboard/software, as well. lol.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
Korgs are great. They sound pretty good, but I haven't done anything to ambient with them.

Mind you, I only owned one for about 3 months, and bought myself an Ondes Martenot, LOL.

The USB keyboard size is your preference, really. I prefer a full 88 keys compared to those mini 25's, but they are much more portable.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Quote by Telestar
http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOAXIOM25
Is that too simple?
Also, will this get me some varieties for ambient sounds? http://www.vintagesynth.com/korg/eta.shtml

The Axiom is a fairly good MIDI controller, but the number of keys depends on personal preference. It has pretty much everything you will need.
The Electribe would not be very good for what you want to do. It is a groovebox and is pretty limited in the number of sounds (unless it uses samples, but even then it would not be very good for what you want anyway). Again, I suggest using a laptop/interface+keyboard setup. That way you can use VSTs which will give you endless possibilities.
I will also suggest a Novation X-Station (or Xiosynth) because it doubles as a synth and an interface, so you can get the best of both worlds (hardware and plug-ins). Probably your best bet, actually.
Quote by AcousticLesPaul
Alsesis Micron. Hands down.

For that kind of money I would go for the Akai MPK 49

Two completely different things. The MPK is a controller whereas the Micron is a synthesizer.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Two completely different things. The MPK is a controller whereas the Micron is a synthesizer.

Quote by Dr.Pain-MD

And you can't use it as a controller? He also said they wanted some synth in there band...
Last edited by AcousticLesPaul at Jan 18, 2009,
I know he said they wanted synthesized sounds. Thus an MPD would not perform the same functions as the Micron, which is why I pointed that out.
Quote by AcousticLesPaul
Alsesis Micron. Hands down.

I'm likin it. Is there a way to create your own drum beats on this? Some of the videos had beats that seemed like presets, so is there a way to tweak them? If not, I think I'll just get an interface and edit my own beats, then put them over stuff.
By the way, I'm trying to look for something that gets this kind of texture and ambiance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4vItkoMv2Y&feature=related
I was going to recommend the Alesis Micron as well. Not a fan of the MicroKorg because of the smaller plastic-y keys.
Yeah I went to Guitar Center to try some out, and the MicroKorg was just too complicated for me. And yeah the keys were pretty annoying. I just want something that's pretty straight forward and tweakable. I think I'll start to learn more about the Micron. Is there any interfaces I could team the Alesis up with that would be good?