I have an Ibanez Gio strung and set up for .9's. I am more used to my acoustic that i have .12's on. If I go up a gauge or 2 to a .10 or .11 will I have to re set up my guitar, I would think a .10 would be ok?
"Music is the only thing that makes sense anymore man, play it loud enough it keeps the demons at bay." - Jojo from ATU
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
maybe raise the action al little to avoid buzz. nothing serious though
The Dude abides
Uh don't quote me on this but, nope. I changed from a .10 gauge to an .11 recently and its still fine.
i am no expert but i had stock 9s on my strat and put 10s on it and everything is fine. if it is a bolt on neck it should not be a problem. if it is a set neck you want to use a little more caution.
You are going to have to adjust it most likely. If you really want that gauge, put them on. Most likely you're going to end up adjusting it, but you for the time being, you should be ok. My guess is that the action is going to be high after raising the gauge. But for the time being you'll be ok until you can either fix the action yourself or get to a guitar tech to do it for you.
Nice. I amm so use to .12's that the 9's feel like dental floss instead of strings, i'm tempted to jump to 12's but that would probabaly screw up my intonation so i'm thinking .10's or possibly 11's. Which is better?
PS: Bolt on neck. No tremolo.
"Music is the only thing that makes sense anymore man, play it loud enough it keeps the demons at bay." - Jojo from ATU
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
Last edited by racertj5 at Jan 18, 2009,
Quote by racertj5
Nice. I amm so use to .12's that the 9's feel like dental floss instead of strings, i'm tempted to jump to 12's but that would probabaly screw up my intonation so i'm thinking .10's or possibly 11's. Which is better?
PS: Bolt on neck. No tremolo.

Go for whatever you want, the adjustments you have to make are extremely simple and shouldn't take more than a few minutes. I've tried switching from 9s to 13s on my LP and it only took about 10 minutes to get it set up with the intonation as close as it can get on a Les Paul.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
which is better? that would be up to you, just so anyone knows, if you have a floating trem and you change gauge then be prepared to mess around with it to get it back to the way you like it
Quote by mmolteratx
Go for whatever you want, the adjustments you have to make are extremely simple and shouldn't take more than a few minutes. I've tried switching from 9s to 13s on my LP and it only took about 10 minutes to get it set up with the intonation as close as it can get on a Les Paul.

I have never set up a guitar before. I did check both of mine to see if they needed it though. Ehh, strings are cheap enough i will just go up a guage at a time till I find what I like I guess.
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
Last edited by racertj5 at Jan 18, 2009,
Wait, what about nut and bridge slots though?
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
Assuming your guitar is in good condition, they shouldn't be a problem. I've hopped gauges tons of times and no problems with the 'em yet.
Quote by racertj5
Wait, what about nut and bridge slots though?

You may have to widen the nut slots to let the strings slide through easier otherwise it will go out of tune pretty easily. Setting up a guitar is relatively easy as well, just check this out and if you think you can do it I suggest you get whatever guage you want, otherwise I moved up to 12s when I didn't know how to set up guitars and I just did it one guage at a time. I don't remember if it played that great as I was a n00b at the time but you could try it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs