Hmm...Well, how should I start this one...? Ehh. Here goes nothing.

I've been using Jazz III Nylon's lately and they seem ok. I recently switched to the Small Stubby's for a couple of licks and I noticed something; When I use the Jazz III's, my pick jumps over the strings. When I use the Stubby's, it's there, just not as bad due to the material.

Now, the jump wouldn't be a problem to me, but it makes my picking less accurate. I know I don't anchor whatsoever, because I can play without my hand touching the guitar, mute unwanted string noise with very little pressure, and I don't palm-mute at all - I love the sound of open strings.

Now, before you all start thinking that I mute unwanted string noise with my palm, you're wrong. I do it with my thumb and a little bit of my wrist. This, I think, is where the problem lies. You see, I can play like that just fine, no jump at all, and when I move my thumb back so that it doesn't touch the strings at all, I think I dig in with the pick, hence, causing this jump.

I know what the problem is, but my question is; Should I mute unwated string noise with my thumb/wrist method that I've been using, or should I use the, what seems to be, conventional, palm method?
Should I mute unwated string noise with my thumb/wrist method that I've been using, or should I use the, what seems to be, conventional, palm method?

Thumb and wrist is fine.

It's good to have a decent handle on both, no matter which you prefer. Just in case - some licks are more easily muted one way or another.
Quote by Freepower
Thumb and wrist is fine.

It's good to have a decent handle on both, no matter which you prefer. Just in case - some licks are more easily muted one way or another.

Ok. Thanks mate!