So at last the time has come, after so many months of hype and mass hysteria. Barack Obama is in the process of becoming the first black man to reside in the White House. For many, it is seen as a pivotal turning point in American history. For many more, it is a story of inspiration and new found hope. Regardless of your political affiliation, it is an exciting moment in the country, and no more so than in its capital, Washington D.C.

I'm writing this now for any pit-goer that has an interest in the atmosphere of the city at this time period. It is certainly one of the most important cities in the world, and as such, its social climate is changing dramatically for this event.

I attend the George Washington University in D.C., an urban campus in the heart of a superpower's government. My dorm building is located on F and 20th Streets. From the front porch, you can look left and see the Executive Building (office of the Vice-President) at the end of the street, a mere two blocks away. On the other side of that building, is the White House. I was there for all of the election night hysteria in front of the White House and along Pennsylvania Avenue, and I am certainly feeling the tension of this weekend. 3/4 of the University's campus lies in Secret Service jurisdiction, for the security of the event.

So what exactly is going on? Well, for the past month or so, there have been construction crews setting up tents as well as broadcast equipment all around the Federal Ellipse area (White House/Capitol/Monument Area). At first the inauguration seemed to be a relatively minor affair, but eventually intensity rose. When I got back from winter break on January 10th, ten days before the event, I found myself in frantic version of D.C. There were signs in business windows explaining their hours and procedure on Inauguration day, Metro Police Department patrols have increased significantly, the University's dorm security has been increased tenfold, and there is a feeling of excitement in the air, despite the breathtakingly cold temperatures outside. People are buzzing about their plans for the weekend; some have tickets to Inauguration, some are attending the Inaugural Ball (Obama will be present at the school's own ball), many have visitors from out of state, many plan to just stay in and avoid all of the ruckus, and a few conservative worrywarts are preparing for the apocalypse with food, booze, and wishes of guns.

As I walked to the liquor store to stock up for the weekend, I found Port-a-Potties lining the streets of MY sidewalks. I couldn't believe that we'd have to deal with tourists relieving themselves on my walkways. It doesn't compare to the Port-a-Potty fortress being assembled on the National Mall. Certainly, campus is going to be jam-packed with people. There is no using the metro system this weekend: either it has been closed off in certain areas for security reasons, or it's going to be overflowing with people, making for very uncomfortable traveling. Hotels are booked completely and have been for months. Overnight visitors in dorms have to have officially registered I.D. cards to gain access, which are the products of a decent amount of paperwork. For the students here, the University is now rife with inconvenience. People who wish to engage illegal activities on a Friday night (like I do ) must do so with a certain degree of paranoia, as a hired security service has been enlisted to patrol the halls of dormitories at all hours of the day. Overall, the feeling is hectic, and it's only going to get worse as the weekend continues until Tuesday, January 20th, until which I have off to avoid all this frustration while trying to attend classes.

Tomorrow afternoon, I am going to the concert at the Lincoln Memorial, featuring classics such as Aretha Franklin, Herbie Hancock, Bruce Springsteen, and Stevie Wonder as well as some new artists like Beyonce (I want to see her dance ) and will.i.am. (Black Eyed Peas dude - eh). It should be quite the day to lead off into the next few.

I wrote this to anyone who wants to know the real situation in D.C. at the moment, instead of the "feel good" stories being pushed by Don Lemon on CNN tonight. It is a real look into the atmosphere here. If there is enough interest, I can update the thread to keep up with the current happenings of the Foggy Bottom area. I hope you enjoyed the read, because I felt like writing it.

tl;dr - It's intense.
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
On a side note, TS, love the username. I'd kill to be under you.
Interesting. Sounds pretty crazy down there right now. Glad I'm in the other Washington.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Hey...The White Stripes are playing too.

__.-~~~~-.|___|___|__
_/********\_|___|___|
|*/**\**/**`~~~~~-.__
||****|**0*********@_
||****|***.********|_
\|****|***\*******/__
_\****/**/`~~~~~~`|__
_('--'""`)__|___|___|
Quote by Jesus
LedDaveZeppelin, You are so awesome.
Quote by LedDaveZeppelin
Hey...The White Stripes are playing too.

Are they? I don't know the entire list, just people I've heard about. Should be interesting to see them.
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
^ Nah, but that would be awesome right?

__.-~~~~-.|___|___|__
_/********\_|___|___|
|*/**\**/**`~~~~~-.__
||****|**0*********@_
||****|***.********|_
\|****|***\*******/__
_\****/**/`~~~~~~`|__
_('--'""`)__|___|___|
Quote by Jesus
LedDaveZeppelin, You are so awesome.
Quote by LedDaveZeppelin
^ Nah, but that would be awesome right?

I've been had!

Might have been awesome.

Quote by vintage x metal
I live about half an hour out of DC and the chaos has even spread here. Most people who live here, so close to DC, are staying home because of the horrendous traffic planned to come, the terrific cold, and just overall loss of shock with all the hype that has surrounded Obama's presidency in this area. Virginia was a blue state this election only because of the votes of the few counties in the DC metropolitan area (the entire rest of the state is predominantly Republican but not as populated) and so the climax of the Obama experience was the week of elections.

I didn't know you were going to the concert! I wanted to go but I have work to attend to =[
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

An update will be coming later today. A preview: there's an Army Humvee in the intersection next to my building. Things just got a whole lot more intense.

Quote by vintage x metal
Quote by RPGoof
I hear Soulja Boy is gonna team up with N-Dubz and do a duet after he does his oath.

Erm.. why have you heard of NDubz...

please tell me they havent made it to America!
I've been here since '04.

Quote by NFFC_1865

Exactly what i was thinking.
Obama Wan Kenobi baby...he should totally start wearing jedi robes.
Quote by NFFC_1865

it's called the internet.....same reason we know what a chav is.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by RPGoof
I hear Soulja Boy is gonna team up with N-Dubz and do a duet after he does his oath.

I heard the Jonas brothers were to play with them as well!
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
There are humvees everywhere with military acting as patrols. Basically they are acting as crossing guards, except they are wearing camouflage and have guns. The closer you get to the National Mall, the more humvees and military personnel you'll find. As well as some under cover Secret Service agents, who don't look inconspicuous at all, haha.

Quote by vintage x metal
My friend goes to your school. I envy you guys.
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall
Quote by Thebridge

As I walked to the liquor store to stock up for the weekend, I found Port-a-Potties lining the streets of MY sidewalks. I couldn't believe that we'd have to deal with tourists relieving themselves on my walkways. It doesn't compare to the Port-a-Potty fortress being assembled on the National Mall.

Port-a-Pottie fortress - probably not impenetrable, but far to dangerous to find out.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Quote by Jimmyyoung
So what, precisely, is the big day?

tuesday
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by blackflag49
Pics or it's not happening.

I'll try and borrow my roommate's camera at some point and get pictures.

As for the day today, Sunday, January 18th, the city atmosphere built in intensity. As stated before, there are humvees at multiple intersections in the Foggy Bottom area of D.C. There are also much more frequent patrols of the Metro Police Department around the area. Port-a-Potty numbers have increased, as did the number of people in the city.

This afternoon around 2:30 PM, I took the short walk from my dorm to the National Mall with some friends. From the first steps out of the dorm, we could hear the roars of people, the beginning of speeches from speakers, and the dull boom of the bass. Apparently people were allowed to come into the Lincoln Memorial area around 7 AM, so we were a bit late. As we walked down 20th street, we began to encounter more and more crowds of people. It felt like a series of mobs. Constitution Ave. was closed off and used solely by pedestrians. There were people everywhere, moving in what seemed to be amoeba-esque mobs, conforming to the bottlenecks and shapes instituted by the security of the event in the form of cars, iron barricades, and people trying to make a buck by selling Obama calendars, hats, t-shirts, etc. When I arrived, the Lincoln Memorial/Reflecting Pool was closed off, as they were at full capacity. Many people were frustrated, as there were many open areas usually available for pedestrians that were closed off by the military for security purposes. Crowds lined up around and leaned up against the iron barricades preventing them from gaining access to the show.

When I got there, Denzel Washington was speaking. There were all sorts of people there, of all races and nationalities. I spent some time leaning against the barricades, catching a wiff of whiskey some guy was drinking out of a flask he kept in the breast pocket of his coat. Bruce Springsteen came on at some point, who isn't one of my favorites, but was still good to hear. I could kind of see him on a video screen through the trees, but that's it. I could definitely hear him better than I could see him. People were walking all along the barricades, trying to figure out the best position to watch the show. As the show went on, more and more people began to move toward the Washington Monument, and a HUGE mob of people began to form around the large video screen in front of the World War II Memorial. I only hung around for a little bit, long enough to hear Springsteen again, as well as James Taylor and Mary J. Blige. After losing my friends in the crowd, I decided to make the short trip back to my dorm to relax and get away from the tourists. That didn't last too long, however, as when the show ended, tourists began to surge through campus.

I made it back to my room in time to watch the end of Obama's speech and see the last performances by Springsteen and Beyonce. When I got back, I began to relax with a little bit of booze. I've been relaxing ever since, haha. So forgive me if there are any mistakes, but I'm a little drunk right now.

Anywho, I will keep this thread updated from day to day as the big moment comes ever closer.

Quote by vintage x metal