Hey guys,
I have been playing guitar since I was 13, so about 9 years now. I played in a band in high school and we played a few shows but since I started college, I really have not done much as far as musical accomplishments. I never stopped playing and in fact my love for the instrument and learning new things such as fingerstyle, jazz, and improving my soloing in general has never been stronger. My problem is, I am having trouble figuring out some specific goals to aim for.
I really want to do something with my playing and so far I have come up with a few options and would love to see what you guys think.

- Get a setlist of acoustic fingerstyle songs under my belt to perform somewhere (where? who wants to hear instrumental music? do I need to have originals or can it be mostly covers? - I am a huge Tommy E. fan)

- Develop a setlist of jazzy chord melody songs to be played on an electric with no other accompaniment

- Create some jazz backing tracks and improv over them (a la Robert Conti) problem here is my jazz playing is at a very beginner level

As you can see I am leaning toward stuff that I can do on my own. I am open to ALL suggestions and advice and ALL is greatly appreciated. Just so you guys can get some idea of my skill level I will post my youtube link below. Thanks so much! I can't wait to read your replies!

youtube.com/prs1986
these sound good. to really hold yourself to them, I might suggest making a time table where u set out how long ur going to allow urself to learn to play one fingerstyle song, make one setlist of jazz chords, etc. good luck to ya man
Gear:
PRS SE Custom
Takamine G Series Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Digitech RP 250

Quote by voodoochild23
The only time I'll dance is if Nickelback caught fire and no one helped.
yeah thats good advice prs, im also trying to decide if i shoud start taking lessons again.
i try not to stick to a timetable because it just puts me off. i just know every so often i have X goals. at the moment its playing fur elise and wait for sleep on piano, fly me to the moon jazz guitar, get the funk out solo lead guitar, 6 stroke roll and heel toe on drums (as well as various exercises for all instruments).

Everyone slacks off between 18-21 you are too busy taking drugs and shaggin birds. Keep the goals small so you feel good when you achieve them, and dont worry about everything you dont know concentrate on what you do know if you are gigging or trying to make cash.
Last edited by Zbigniev at Jan 18, 2009,