i was just thinking about this "disorder". many of my friends have it, including myself. and it just makes me angry that just because someone behaves differently they want to put you on a drug that makes you blend in to the crowd. My parents refused treatment when i was diagnosed, so ive never really had any experience with Ritalin. anyway i was curious on your thoughts Pit
when the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace

Starsceam of the Decepticon Transformers G1 Club
PM irishmatt1992 To Join!
Ritalin sucks, it tastes like

Have you guys heard that Circuit city is closing down?
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
Ritalin sucks, it tastes like

Have you guys heard that Circuit city is closing down?

Circuit city is closing? That really sucks, that's where I bought my first Hey! I'm going to check out a new guitar this weekend...
I'm with you. I believe I have ADD and a very VERY mild case of dyslexia (probably not). I know plenty of people I could get adderall off of. Yet, I have never been diagnosed with these and don't want to be.
I have it to.

I think the term "Disorder" is bull****.
As for ritalin, it can be helpful in school and ****, but shouldn't be necessary for social engagements. I stopped taking everything, started a band and started being unique. And now I have friends I actually care about and can interact with rather than just siting around and watching people.
If you laugh at this I get to have sex with you.
Click here to see the most beautiful guitar imaginable.
Quote by Jeltz
Sukman_Jr: Going on a trip to Finmark in Norway is a bad idea aswell! Beware of Nazi-zombies!
I think that ADHD is also VERY overdiagnosed. Just because your kid doesn't pay attention doesn't necessarily mean that he has a disorder, it could mean that they just didn't receive the discipline that they required as children. This isn't always the case, but I do think ADD (Adult Discipline Deficit) can be fixed by letting the child know who is the parent. I have a friend who has ADD, and so does his brother. I've been to their house, they are both "diagnosed" with ADD. Here's the problem, their parents NEVER tell them no. I remember getting the shit beaten out of me for saying "No" to my parents, and I turned out fine! Some parents need to realize that their primary job is to be a parent, not necessarily a friend.

/steps off soap box
It's all a scam to sell more pharmaceuticals. Nothing beats controlling a youngster than a firm smack on the behind, like God intended.
well, me and my buddy did some aderol, it made me feel like i was shortcircuiting, him on the other hand was completely focused on his work, some people work well with it, others don t need it.
I have ADD not ADHD but I stopped taking my medication a couple years ago as it made me quiet and shy and also made me lose my appetite so I lost weight as well. It actually makes me say things that many people find to be funny so it kinda makes me funny I guess you could say. But the loss of focus gets annoying.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Being different is awesome and you shouldn't be forced to take drugs just so you can behave exactly the same as the next 10 people
Quote by jonnyrotten45
i was just thinking about this "disorder". many of my friends have it, including myself. and it just makes me angry that just because someone behaves differently they want to put you on a drug that makes you blend in to the crowd. My parents refused treatment when i was diagnosed, so ive never really had any experience with Ritalin. anyway i was curious on your thoughts Pit

crush it and snort it thats what i did... it changed my life ive been doing drugs sense im accually on coke right now swear to fucing god on my life
Quote by Cockpuncher 2.0
Congradulations, you are a genious even if you are intoxicated.

Quote by Godsmack_IV
lucky bastard and your knowlegde of chemical engineering...

Quote by FortuneFaded
you guys are geniuses.

Quote by tonedeafidiot
^That is genius!

:stickpoke why dose yellow hate blue? WHY!
Quote by ckellingc
I think that ADHD is also VERY overdiagnosed. Just because your kid doesn't pay attention doesn't necessarily mean that he has a disorder, it could mean that they just didn't receive the discipline that they required as children. This isn't always the case, but I do think ADD (Adult Discipline Deficit) can be fixed by letting the child know who is the parent. I have a friend who has ADD, and so does his brother. I've been to their house, they are both "diagnosed" with ADD. Here's the problem, their parents NEVER tell them no. I remember getting the shit beaten out of me for saying "No" to my parents, and I turned out fine! Some parents need to realize that their primary job is to be a parent, not necessarily a friend.

/steps off soap box

Agreed and you have to see it this way. You have little johnny at 7 years old, he has a PS3 that he threw a fit over until his parents gave in like saps and bought him, now johnny sits around all day and plays that, now take johnny and stick him in a classroom for 8 hours a day and what do you think is going to happen? Thats right he's going to be bored, he is going to misbehave, and he wont pay attention due to the lack of instant gratification. I have neighbors who bought their kid everything he could possibly want, when something new comes along he gets it, the kid misbehaves, and takes Ritalin regularly as do many of the kids his age of about 10 years. Parents need to learn how to say no. I didn't have a PS 1 until after the PS2 came out, my parents didn't give me much on purpose and I thank them for that cause I am very disciplined and able to behave.
i'n my life i've been on pretty much every pill a doctor will perscribe for ADHD. ritalin, concerta, adderall, whatever, you name it, i've been on it. i've talked to psychiatrists, therapists, everyone. i'm the way i am and no pill will ever change that.
I've worked with ADHD kids, my stepson is Aspie and my daughter is Autistic. I studied Ritalin for a course at Cork University so maybe I can give you a bit of truth about it.
1. It is speed. One of the purest Amphetamines around.
2, Its purpose is to aid concentration by blocking the sensory over-stimulation some people suffer from.
3, It works okay for a while.
4, Tests show that by the time the patient reaches 18-20 their life has not been significantly changed or improved by taking Ritalin, though they may have avoided some troubles along the way.
5, Oddly, the only statistically significant result of having taken Ritalin is that one is less likely to become addicted to any street drugs in later life.

My stepson lived in USA until he was 11. He came to us when his father could no longer cope with his behaviour. When he arrived he had a list of drugs he HAD to keep taking, including strong anti-psychotics and other 'downers'. Some were outlawed in EU. We took him off all the drugs in a couple of weeks and his behaviour improved dramatically quite soon after. He has commented that while on the drugs he was less aware of who he was and what was expected of him. Poor kid.
wow u think u have it bad the elemantry school i went to specilized in "dishorders" like add and adhd(which i have) and instead of helping me in any way even medication they just beat the spirit and free will out of me. and by that i mean punishing me 10 times worse than wats standard for anything and expelling me for doing anything other than letting the other kids pick on and beat the living crap out of me.

i also think meds r gay
i consider myself to be a bit more legit then most of the scene emo kids that say they have it, when i write exams or do any school work in general, you have no idea how hard it is to concentrate and i do everything to try to, im note the kind to let myself go and act all wierd and not pay attention, try my hardest everyday.
i take concerta. the medicine ACUTALLY does work and help with my learning. the people that say it doesnt work, dont actually have adhd.
i dont hav adhd but i did an assignment on it at school
personally i think the 99% of the kids diagnosed with it just have pussies for parents.
also i think that if these kids ate a healthey diet instead of all the crap that parents are giving their kids they would be alright.
also http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=azBnvKL6JKE
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
i prescribed with ritilan for it
**** makes me depressed tho so i usually just sell it

i think it works for some people but its WAY over prescribed
seems like if a child misbehaves at all they get slapped with ADHD
my brother's got like CRAZY ADHD. Like, without his meds, he's not even human anymore. On his meds, he's still pretty ****ed up.

I think it's retarded to drug people diagnosed with adhd, It makes them lose basic self control IMO. If you never had to take ritalin in your life and you had adhd, your parents would've taught you how to control yourself instead of having the lousy drug do it for you. And over time, your body builds a resistance/tolerance against the drug, and its effects get weaker as life goes on... and eventually you'll be taking 7 pills a day (two of which are bout an inch long? o.O) just like my brother...and he's only 12.

Don't trust me, I'm no "doctor".
Quote by Mad Marius
adhd = laziness, lack of discipline

not really, I seem to have a heavy form of it, I loose concentration even when they aren't boring. never ask me to clean up a table because you don't know where everything will end up, it's really annoying but I don't want to take the darn pills for it, they gave me a high dose for a year and I couldn't stand it, ritalin = the worst medication ever, I felt depressed when I took it and aparently, you could get intoxicated with the those I had and half a bottle of wine, dude that was a great date.

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
Quote by ckellingc

/steps off soap box

I do think there is a place for medication in ADD and ADHD, but probably not to the extent that some people are prescribed for.

It is clear, that for their own good, children with these issues, should have something to take the edge off in school and so on, for the sake of their education and that of those around them. Obviously, outside of school there may be a need for it, but probably less so, in all but the most serious of cases.

Also, in my opinion, it is often misdiagnosed, when mild Autism would be more likely.

In extreme cases of ADD/ADHD, it may be (especially if it is a first child), that the parents simply are not strong willed enough to take the required steps to tame their child. It is their child and they love them (hopefully) so they don't want to have to be firm with them and possibly don't know how to.

The trouble with disciplining YOUR children these days, is that you pretty much aren't allowed to.

I am happy to accept, that there effective methods of punishment, that do not include smacking.

I myself, use "the naughty step", firm groundings (not giving in) and removal of pleasures (TV, Computer and so on).
However, MY children, have had a Zero Tolerance to bad behaviour approach, through their younger years, which did include smacking and most certainly not a tap on the wrist. So now, I don't have to do it, because firstly the threat of punishment has been instilled in them, so they rarely misbehave and also, I only need to look at them the right way and they know they are in trouble.

But still, certain behaviours would be smackable offences, if they did occur and they know it.

I also make sure that my children do their share of chores around the house, which not only teaches them some responsibility, but allows me to give them treats etc, without spoiling them.

So I think, that if parents did instil the "fear of God" in their children at an early age and maintained being the boss, you wouldn't have the problems that exist these days.
All kids need a smack at times and the sooner they get one, the less it will be needed.
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jan 18, 2009,