can someone tell me what exactly needs to go into a guitar to make it work

i made a thread like this a bit ago but never really got a straight answer

and if anyone knows of any tutorials i would be gratefull

thankyou
i think people wont awnser this question because its so n00b :P
anyway, since i dont really know everything,(only a few things), you should just google
well, a guitar won't really work without an amp, but i'll skip that part.

Basically all it needs is a pickup, which is wire wrapped around a magnet, and an output jack, but you can add various resistors (pots) capacitators (tone pots) and switches
Depends, Pickups can go anywhere from $10 to $20,000. Everything else is basic wiring and should be dirt cheap.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by random_B-RAD
Depends, Pickups can go anywhere from $10 to $20,000. Everything else is basic wiring and should be dirt cheap.

Prove it.

TS, it's pretty simple.
Google guitar wiring.
yeah dont worry, i know about pickups but i meant everything else, thats all
well, It varies alot from guitar to guitar. most guitars feature passive electronics - which means the electronics don't use any source of power (like a battery etc.). "Active" electronics by contrast means there's a little amp circuit built into the guitar to boost the signal a little, and these do require batteries.

components-wise, volume pots are just potentiometers, tone knobs are potentiometers too, but wired up with just 2 lugs so they act like a variable resistor. the tone knob is connected to a capacitor, which is connected to ground - capacitors only let high frequency signals past, so your tone knob works by letting trebley parts of the signal "escape to ground" - which gets rid of them and your left with only the more bassy parts of the signal - so capacitors are essential for tone knobs.

other than that, there's switches and the jack, but that's it for passive electronics. have a look at a P-bass schematic and you'll see the two knobs and the caps pretty clearly as well as how it's all wired.
Quote by unet
Prove it.

TS, it's pretty simple.
Google guitar wiring.

Yea you know, if it was gold wrapped around platinum magnets and diamond pole pieces. (even though it wouldn't work)

When you plug it in to a silver amp the notes sound like ca-ching
Last edited by Dr. House at Jan 18, 2009,