I am getting married in a years time. My fiance' loves Jack Johnson. On our wedding day I would love to be able to surprise her by getting out a guitar and playing 'better together' and 'banana pancakes' 2 of her favourites. Problem is I have never played a guitar in my life! On top of that, to keep it a surprise i could only practice once a week (the only day we have apart) I need to know, how feesable is this, with a year of practicing once a week for a couple of hours at a time, would it be possible, would i need to get lessons for this?? Any information would be a great help
Thanks in advance
andy
I will have to check out the songs properly but from memory his stuff is never complicated. It will take practice, you say you will have a year?

If you make most of that one day a week then you should be able to do it, but do you plan to sing..?

Edit: If you plan to sing then you are definately pushing it, but I am confident you could play the songs on guitar atleast if you are dedicated when it comes to practicing. If it's for your future wife then I'm sure you will be.

I recommend you get a teacher aswell, the songs do require playing barre chords which take a while to get used to.
Last edited by Regression at Jan 18, 2009,
it really depends on how much time you have to practice..

you say 1 year-once a week, for a few hrs.

Barre (bar) chords just take muscle, something you've gotta build up. They are really easy to practice. You would also learn it much faster and it would be a lot easier if you could manage to practice more than once a week.

But -I'd say yea, totally do-able in 1 year. Depending on how hard you practice.
- to Make ourselves more than we are
Does she not like Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol? Because that's really easy.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Usually people forget things in a week and have to re-learn them but I'd say anything is possible. Learn the basics, make up your own exercises, and practice the song. I don't know how hard those songs are but 4 hours once a week might get you there if you stick to a regimen.
Personally, I don't think it will be possible.

Better Together, whilst overall it's easy, does have some muted string sections between chords which are difficult to grasp, particularly if you're struggling to just play the chords for it.

However, if you can somehow manage to find even 10 minutes each day on your own to go over things that you've already practised, then it may be possible.

... With singing, you better hope you have a natural ability to multi-task. :p
Imo, it's going to be hard making any serious progress on guitar just playing once a week for a few hours. You're much better off playing 30 minutes a day, every day, then 3 hours once a week. Learning guitar requires lots of repetition to build the proper muscle memory of what you're doing, and this tends to require lots of time for your brain to digest what you're doing. I doubt you could even develop a callous on your fingers in a reasonable amount of time only playing once a week.

Jack Johnson songs aren't that hard, but they're not really beginner level either. You'll need to be clean at barre chords, and songs like banana pancakes require you to move between playing "lead" and playing barre's fluently.

If I were you, I would just get a guitar, and let your fiance know you want to learn. Practice everyday, even just for a bit. You'll probably need 5-6 month's before even approaching Jack Johnson songs, but once you get there use your "day off" to just go hard on learning the songs you want to play for your wedding without her knowing.

Congrats on the wedding, and best of luck!
2002 Muddy Waters Fender Telecaser (MIM) (w/ Bill Lawrence pickups & black matte pickguard)
2006 Ibanez sz520qm (w/ Grover tuners)
Epiphone DR-100

Traynor YCV50-Blue
Toneport GX / Ampltube 2
Last edited by krims0n at Jan 18, 2009,
They're both pretty easy songs, but Jack Johnson uses all barre chords in his songs. That makes it rather hard to play them for a beginner.

Now, the good news is that there is an easier capo'd version of Better Together that sounds rather nice and has mostly open chords. If I remember correctly, there was only one barre chord in the entire song.

Want more good news? A year of practicing, even if it is around just once a week, will be plenty of time if you stay committed to it.

Even more? Can you handle all of this good news? You don't have to just learn Banana Pancakes and Better Together. You can actually use Jack Johnson songs as barre chord practice. Sitting, Waiting, Wishing is a fairly easy song once you've gotten past the "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING!" phase.

Go ahead and get a guitar. Start learning to play. Find a few "cover-up" songs to play when your fiancee is around, and then, once you've kinda gotten the hang of playing, work on the Jack Johnson on the day she isn't home.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Jan 18, 2009,
It's possible if those songs are the only thing you practice for a solid year. Personally, I think you'd be better off with a standard practice routine and getting the basics down. Then you can sarenade her with lots of songs after you're married.
If you want to learn the guitar anyway, you might as well just tell your fiancee you want to learn guitar and practice consistantly instead of once a week (hiding those songs of course)

I'f you're main goal is simply to learn those two songs for the sake of a romantic gesture, then I'm going to say that's it's just a really terrible idea. Not worth the time and money, not likely to work all that well, plus you'll be "that guy" yeah, the guy that learns to play guitar just for a woman. Nothing wrong with a love song for someone special, but you don't want to be "that guy" even if you're marrying her. I'd just hire someone to perform it for her on the honeymoon if this is the case. The surprise itself will be romantic, and a woman that doesn't play guitar isn't going to understand or appreciate the year you put into learning it on your own anyway.