I've liked rock and metal since a long time, but only to an extent. After starting listening to many major bands, i've given up on other genres. So, i wanted some of the 'good' metal/rock music(Dream theater, Nirvana,GnR etc..) from my friend who has been a hardcore fan for a long time. So, i give him a few blank DVDs. Next day, he gives me the DVDs with so many bands of whom i haven't even heard about..

He says that to appreciate 'good' prog. rock/metal I must go step by step from 'lower' bands to better ones.

I like most of the music he's given to me, but does this make sense?
Last edited by FaNtEcH at Jan 18, 2009,
No.
Gamertag: KuroNeko117 - ADD ME ^_^

ILikeC OLOURS

Don't drink drive you'll spill your drink
Well, I don't like that many mainstream bands, but I do like small bands, imo all the bands that come on this site when they release a cd aren't as good as some of the bands that play in a bar 2 streets from my house every week.

seems like he's trying to make you take the step from mainstream to underground, good luck!

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
no. But to expand on it, you'll like what you like, it's not like there's a progression to liking bands. You may listen to more recent bands then listen to what influenced them, that's possibly what your friend could have meant.
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
This thread is now about Mudkips

(Invalid img)
Gamertag: KuroNeko117 - ADD ME ^_^

ILikeC OLOURS

Don't drink drive you'll spill your drink
Quote by L33T_KR3W
This thread is now about Mudkips

(Invalid img)

fail, you didn't even post a real pic...

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
Your grammar is bad.. but if he means start with more accessable bands and then try out the more 'extreme' ones, then yeah.
Quote by jackofclubs
Freebird!!!
well, not that i don't like classic (maistream) rock, but there are bands that are way better.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
marmite, vegemite, termite...

anything that ends with -mite is the work of Satan's retarded cousin Vinnie.
Limiting yourself to one genre is like limiting yourself to one form of food....It's not healthy. The reason you appreciate and like other music is because you do not really want to limit yourself to just liking one kind of music. So yes it makes sense that you like what you have been shown. Broaden your horizons and you will go far.
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
you are a real guitarist when you are not ashamed about masturbating to musicians friend magazine.
Quote by numinis
fail, you didn't even post a real pic...
NO WAI

TS, he's trying to get you into underground bands. I say that is a good thing, nothing wrong with it, anyway.
I've liked rock and metal since a long time, but only to an extent. After starting listening to many major bands, i've given up on other genres. So, i wanted some of the 'good' metal/rock music(Dream Theater, Nirvana,GnR etc..) from my friend who has been a hardcore fan for a long time. So, i give him a few blank DVDs. Next day, he gives me the DVDs with so many bands of whom i haven't even heard about..

He says that to appreciate 'good' prog. rock/metal I must go step by step from 'lower' bands to better ones.

I like most of the music he's given to me, but does this make sense?

Jesus, seriously, this is the 4th time today I've seen that error.
Last edited by 'Leviathan' at Jan 18, 2009,
By "lower", does he mean bands with short members? I don't follow.
Quote by Telestar
Trust me man, it's Smoke on the Water. Deep Purple only wrote one song.
No, it doesn't make sense.
He's just trying to sound like he knows his sh*t.

She dreams in color, she dreams in red.

Quote by josh999x
A guy put a dildo on his head and shouted look i'm a unicorn.

Quote by sg255
Patrick was so slang, but Squidward was a boob waffle.
I think it's important to branch out and listen to all genres of music, but hey, it's perfectly fine if you become a fanatic of two or three bands, but know their entire back catalog...

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
lolol master yoda showing you the path of correct rock music he is
no seriously the guy sounds like a douche listen to what you want
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
The Dream Theatre was a typo.

Plus, i do not listen to 1 genre, it's just that i want one particular genre from my friend. I kind of exaggerated in the 1st post when i said i had given up on all other genres..
By 'lower', i think he meant bands which havnt got much fame, but are still good..
Anyways, thanks for the inputs..
Quote by 'Leviathan'
Jesus, seriously, this is the 4th time today I've seen that error.

Heh that reminded me of interior crocidile alligator
Sig space available, give me some praise
Quote by MoshPitRock
He's just trying to sound like he knows his sh*t.

this.
Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.