19 18%
I have been in one, and it didn't work well
26 25%
I have not been in one, and I don't think I could handle it
46 43%
I have not been in one, and I think I could handle it
15 14%
Voters: 106.
For those who succesfully have, do you have any tips?
My God, it's full of stars!
Keep in contact via phone, emails or however you everyday.

Meet up regularly, in different places instead of where you both live so it's a new and nice experience for both of you.

Treat her and have fun, don't be too forward but remind her that you like her.

I had one for 3 years, god I miss it.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Meet up as often as you can.

I lived in Glasgow for uni last year and my gf lived in Cambridge working.

Contact is the key, I didn't find out until she moved closer (Edinburgh) how tough it had been on her being so far apart for so long.
I dated a girl for 3 years, then moved 10 minutes further away, and she ended up ignoring me for 2 months, then ditching me. Girls do that bro.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Hmm
You don't have to hold the door open for me
I can do that myself
Last edited by BaBaBoeGaH at May 31, 2009,
if and when you set up a date, make sure it's a sure thing. in high school, i drove a couple of hours to meet my girl for the first time in months just to find out at the last minute that the family she was visiting wouldn't allow me to see her.
Quote by JMack
Are you asking if midgets can draw people that are themselves smaller than the average person, or if midget drawings in general are smaller?
Quote by freedoms_stain
I lived in Glasgow for uni last year and my gf lived in Cambridge working.

Just out of curiosity..
Is that where Glasgow Kiss came from?

Anyway..
I would probably snap from a long distance
Quote by wilco5000
Get MSN- not as awkward as telephone plus its free

Skype is better, its free and hearing each others voices is one thing you have to do.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
yeah it can work, im at uni so im spending half the year away from her, just try and talk as much as you can and visit and meet whenever appropriate and possible
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by Cianyx
Just out of curiosity..
Is that where Glasgow Kiss came from?

Anyway..
I would probably snap from a long distance
In Glasgow (Scotland) a Glasgow Kiss is a headbutt. So Idk.
Well we're both really in love with each other, but I'm sure it's hard on her. We've been together for 2 weeks in the past 6 months and that rate will continue, probably get worse. We talk, support what the other is doing, and she was great enough to make a couple of YouTube videos saying hi and stuff so I can hear her voice and see her face.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Chrisiphone
Skype is better, its free and hearing each others voices is one thing you have to do.

You can have video calls on msn.
I had one, and she killed herself in the end. I don't think it worked well...

...oh, and she killed herself because she was made to choose between parents when they divorced, not because I'm crap.
Quote by Aidy Damage
I had one, and she killed herself in the end. I don't think it worked well...

...oh, and she killed herself because she was made to choose between parents when they divorced, not because I'm crap.

wut?
MY BAND!!!

Quote by floppypick
Well, I'm all out of ideas, except for one. dress up as a squirrel of the opposite sex and try to seduce it. Over the years of mating you and the squirrel will form a species or human squirrel hybrids and be able to take over the world!
[It's Alex] and I have been in an LDR for 9 months so far.
It's hard but I love her more than anything in the world and I'm pretty sure she feels the same, so it feels right. We'll just enjoy the time we have together, when we have it, even more.
My friends in one, he seems happy with it and they're quite easy to deal with if you can afford to travel there it would seem.
Sig space available, give me some praise
Different cities... didn't work well.

meet up a lot... I don't really know. Use the phone or talk in person, don't use things like MSN. Too impersonal, basically pointless if you ask me.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Currently in one, have been for 3 years.

Advice: Talk everyday, in some way or another.

That's it, basically.
Quote by metal_maniac#1
wut?

Yeah- it sucks. Majorly.

Ah well, life goes on, I guess.
Quote by Tarzan_man
Don't

/thread
Quote by DirtyMakik
Listen to this man, he's got Alex in his avatar, he knows his sh!t.

Quote by dubstar92
awesome avatar dude

Wow a signature
In my opinion, it will work out okay if you both want it to. If you both really care and want to make it last, then you can succeed. But if your partner isn't as serious as you are, I can almost guarantee it will fall apart.

If you are both serious about maintaining a long distance relationship, I suggest a lot of the previously mentioned thing, talk on webcam, phone, IM, etc.. And definitely plan to meet each other and see each other as often as possible.
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
It can depend on the girl and you as people. For example (this works both ways, im just using a girl as an example), I have a girl who isnt really a person who communicates that often and stays within herself. This would mean it wouldnt work, as slowly we would stop talking, because she doesnt make huge efforts unless there is a reason to be seeing or talking with you. On the other hand a girl who talks to you often, calls you every night, wants to see you every few days wouldnt work either, as she would need to find someone else to cling to and see. You need both people in the middle, who talk once or twice a day, but dont feel a need to see each other every few days. Another factor is distance, can you still see each other once every month or two? (eg you live within about 4-5 hours driving distance max) Or are you basically a long plane ride away (across the country, different continent, etc). If its the second one its more difficult and wont really work if for a long period. If the first, you need to try see each other often as possible, if the distance is two long, try meeting in the middle, or alternating turns, just make sure to see each other when you can.
I wouldnt do it if its for a long time and you could only see each other after a long plane ride. If you can manage to see them once every month or two its possible, but on the other hand, if you feel you really love each other, just keep in contact and do your best to make it work out.
What would be the point in having a girlfriend if I never saw her?
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
I could handle it. My worry would be whether the girl could.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
I had a LDR with a girl in Canada for a few months. Eventually she wanted to move in with me but I thought it was too soon and she had dreams that I couldn't get in the way of so I had to push her away so she could be happy. We still talk but I know it would never work (we're both too headstrong)
Last edited by King ofKumbucha at Jan 18, 2009,
I've been in one for 11 months, we chat with webcams. It's working out fine.
I certainly wouldn't recommend starting one because it'll be worse than a relationship where you see each other. There's a lot more effort and pain than in a normal one.

However, if the case is that you were in the relationship first and then circumstances mean you have to be separate for long periods, then work at it. As long as you have decent periods of time when you can see them it's got more chance of working out.
I didn't think it would be possible for me but a few things changed my views at one point or another.

My best friend was doing supertastic but recently things are a bit at a stop. His ladyfriend's been having a hard time.

He's going to live there at the end of next month to get a job there (Canada), he hates it here. Then that'll probably be 2 amazing people I've lost to Canada ~sigh~
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
I've been dating this girl for 18 months or so now, and last fall was her first semester away. After five or six months of that, things have been pretty damn rough. One of us visits the other pretty much every weekend (luckily only an 80 minute drive), and we do the whole video chat thing a couple times a week, but it never really seems like enough.

Video chatting is good stuff, though.

I'm not really sure if I should say it worked well, or if I should say otherwise. I mean, sure, we're still dating, but there's been two or three occasions where we've been on the verge or breaking up (point in case: last night). Extremely not fun. But the other times have been good.
There will probably be a signature here at some point.
i've been in mine for 19 months now, and it's all going amazingly

both of us are very committed to seeing each other whenever possible and are prepared to sacrifice other things to have the money to afford our flights. we text each other throughout each day and call each other whenever possible.

we discussed early on the idea of moving in together because we knew that if the relationship was successful then one of us would have to move eventually, and it was a mutual decision that he would move to my city. so know we're just waiting for that to be possible.

in the meantime we see each other for a few days each month and love every second that we have together

if you want to have a chat just send me a pm, jon.
from daylight...
...into darkness
Quote by SmarterChild
I certainly wouldn't recommend starting one because it'll be worse than a relationship where you see each other. There's a lot more effort and pain than in a normal one.

not necessarily. mine and my boyfriend's relationship is fucking awesome and it's been an LDR from the beginning. we're great for each other and have never had any serious problems. it's never felt like effort to make it work. we just get on with it, because it would be so much worse not being together at all. it can be tough and i can't wait for the day that we can move in together, but happiness outweighs pain for us by absolute miles.
from daylight...
...into darkness
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
I didn't think it would be possible for me but a few things changed my views at one point or another.

My best friend was doing supertastic but recently things are a bit at a stop. His ladyfriend's been having a hard time.

He's going to live there at the end of next month to get a job there (Canada), he hates it here. Then that'll probably be 2 amazing people I've lost to Canada ~sigh~

F*cking... f*cking Canada, the oversized, laked-filled bastard!

How many more people will we lose to this American/French/other stuff hybrid? When does it end? WHEN DOES IT END, PEOPLE?
It can work (obviously), but it takes two people of very stable character. It can be a lot more straining than normal relationships; some people can deal, some can't.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
F*cking... f*cking Canada, the oversized, laked-filled bastard!

How many more people will we lose to this American/French/other stuff hybrid? When does it end? WHEN DOES IT END, PEOPLE?

yeah...... *slowly walks away*

I'm serious though, it's stealing my lovieeesss!!! D:
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.