Religious Studies, Does Mysticism have any value in the modern world?

Evidently it has value to some people or they wouldn't continue with it. People rarely (if ever) do things that they don't see benefiting them in some way.

What kind of dumbass assignment is this?
People want significance and value to their existance. Religious delusion is an effective way of making yourself believe life counts for something.
That depends entirely on who you ask TS. Obviously there are people, including myself, who feel it still has value but equally there are people who will say it doesn't. Asking us is completely futile. You have to write your own feelings, not the Pit's.

Also I don't think mysticism and religious experiences are the same thing. I assume you mean religious experience and not mysticism?
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Last edited by IDread at Jan 18, 2009,
Look at the issues in the middle east. Suicide bombers, homosexuals being executed. Then look back at the US. Jerry Falwell claiming that 9/11 was because of the pro-choice people, the gays and all the other "sinners". The Westboro Baptist Church. Trying to teach creationism in schools.

Understanding religion is very important in today's society as it is the driving factor of many decisions in both the western and eastern world.
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
Quote by TheIceCreamMan
Look at the issues in the middle east. Suicide bombers, homosexuals being executed. Then look back at the US. Jerry Falwell claiming that 9/11 was because of the pro-choice people, the gays and all the other "sinners". The Westboro Baptist Church. Trying to teach creationism in schools.

Understanding religion is very important in today's society as it is the driving factor of many decisions in both the western and eastern world.

Focus on the negatives much? Religion has led to some very good things as well as very bad things. There are charities and individuals active at the moment who are motivated by religion who bring relief to millions.

Quote by Patrick786
People want significance and value to their existance. Religious delusion is an effective way of making yourself believe life counts for something.

I can appreciate that you don't share my views but do you really have to be so demeaning in your comments? The way you put it makes us religious believers seem like crackheads trying to escape from reality.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Quote by IDread

I can appreciate that you don't share my views but do you really have to be so demeaning in your comments? The way you put it makes us religious believers seem like crackheads trying to escape from reality.

Sorry, I didn't mean it to come out that way. I can't really judge you because I don't understand how you and other religous believers feel, or what solid faith feels like.
Quote by Patrick786
Sorry, I didn't mean it to come out that way. I can't really judge you because I don't understand how you and other religous believers feel, or what solid faith feels like.

No harm done.
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Quote by IDread

Your point being what exactly?

Religious studies has a place only in history classes.

Quote by Patrick786

Rubbish. I don't know how murderers feel either, you can still judge them.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Last edited by Meths at Jan 18, 2009,
Quote by Meths
Your point being what exactly?

Religious studies has a place only in history classes.

My point being that my personal choices and views are no concern of yours or anyone else just as other peoples personal choices are no concern of mine or anyone else.
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I