ok, as far as i can tell from searching on the internet, locking tuners work because when using a trem, the bit of the string that is wrapped around the tuning peg can get loose, and it wont return to the same pitch.

if this is true (correct me if it isn't) then do they work better than normal tuners on non tremolo guitars?
Yes, that is part of the logic. When loosening your strings with a trem, the wraps can slip a little, but with a locking tuner that isnt an issue. Locking tuners on a non-trem are great as well though because you can change a string almost instantly with them. I'm going to have locking tuners installed on each of my guitars when I get to it.
Slightly. Although, having them on a non trem guitar practically defeats their purpose. I think they're a bitch to work, but I'm not sure on that.

And, unless your current tuners are absolutely terrible (in which case, invest in a better guitar) you don't need them.
I have a guitar that is equipped with them, with a tremolo bar. It's no floyd, but it keeps its tuning rock solid most of the time, even when doing crazy dive bombs and what have you. Also, although I wouldn't recommend putting on all your strings like this, as I've had it snap a few times, if the need arises you can replace a string in seconds by just fitting it through and locking it then tuning it.
Quote by ginjaninja
Slightly. Although, having them on a non trem guitar practically defeats their purpose. I think they're a bitch to work, but I'm not sure on that.

And, unless your current tuners are absolutely terrible (in which case, invest in a better guitar) you don't need them.

Not really. They generally help keep your guitar in tune if you're doing any big bends/wide vibrato. They're easy to install, and string changes are much quicker.
Quote by CobenBlack
i thought that was what you were meant to do - just put it through, lock down and tune that is. of course, i dont know as ive not got any locking tuners.

That is what you're supposed to do, but I still wind it a bit first, because for a while when I first bought my guitar the high e string would snap right at the tuner when I put the string on like that. Of course I didn't really know what I was doing back then, so I guess my point is you don't have to do it my way, but I find it works better.