Heres the story:
I have the peavey 6505 and i love it the drive is perfect for me but i never liked the clean channel. Then i bought one of those power soaks for like £25/$40 and i put it in the effects loop and used it to crank my amp but keep the overall level acceptable and OMG!!!! the drive is so tight and defined and the clean has come alive, I've only got crap epiphone pickups in but i love the sound now with the phase 90.

I was going to buy another head for clean live so i bought a live in amp rak with space for to head and some rack gear above

I have this space now and im thinking of getting a head for leads as i think i could get better sounds than the lead on the 6505

does anyone have ideas

i play metal and stuff like alter bridge

the haed can be any power over 30watt and if it could be under £600/$1200
for now

any brand but has to be tube

I will be putting a t rex replica delay in the effects loop so it has to have one

and i will consider adding an ocverdrive to boost the gain if needed

just throw your suggestions at me

cheers
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

My band: www.facebook.com/deifieduk
(actually called Deified)
if you want really clean cleans, check out the Roland Jazz chorus.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
no im happy with the clean now i have set it just right with the pahse pedal

im after a head for leads
in that price range
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

Bogner Shiva

edit: oops didn't see your price range
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
i know id love the shiva like mark trmonti but my jobs aint that good
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

so you have the 6505 for rhythm/cleans, and you just want a seperate head for leads????

Just throw a Tubescreamer in your effects chain and that'll help boost your leads.

Or change the pickups in your guitar
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
yes but if you'd read my post

i have a spare head slot in my flightcase

and i want something different for the leads!!!!
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

i reccomend getting an EQ pedal, setting it to add some gain and make your sound better for leads, and a delay pedal.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Read My ****ing Post I Want A Head For Leads Not Stupid Suggestion Like Get A Pedal I Have Pedals I Dont Want More Just A Head To Soley Do Leads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

Quote by peavey6505+user
Heres the story:
I have the peavey 6505 and i love it the drive is perfect for me but i never liked the clean channel. Then i bought one of those power soaks for like £25/$40 and i put it in the effects loop and used it to crank my amp but keep the overall level acceptable and OMG!!!! the drive is so tight and defined and the clean has come alive, I've only got crap epiphone pickups in but i love the sound now with the phase 90.

I was going to buy another head for clean live so i bought a live in amp rak with space for to head and some rack gear above

I have this space now and im thinking of getting a head for leads as i think i could get better sounds than the lead on the 6505

does anyone have ideas

i play metal and stuff like alter bridge

the haed can be any power over 30watt and if it could be under £600/$1200
for now

I will be putting a t rex replica delay in the effects loop so it has to have one

and i will consider adding an ocverdrive to boost the gain if needed

just throw your suggestions at me

cheers

You got ripped off...those "power soaks" are nothing of the sort, it's just a volume pot in a box, it works exactly the same as turning the master volume down.

Quote by peavey6505+user
Read My ****ing Post I Want A Head For Leads Not Stupid Suggestion Like Get A Pedal I Have Pedals I Dont Want More Just A Head To Soley Do Leads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wanting a separate head just for playing lead is far more stupid than somebody suggesting a pedal
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 18, 2009,
Quote by peavey6505+user

do you know how heavy it's gonna be to carry two heads to each gig? anyways, if you wanted to use them both on the same cabinet, you'd need something like one of those tonebone head switchers.

EDIT: also, i agree with the guy above me, you got ripped off on the power soak. the type power soaks that go in the FX loop do nothing more than give your amp a master volume if it doesnt have one already.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Jan 18, 2009,
Quote by steven seagull

wanting a separate head just for playing lead is far more stupid than somebody suggesting a pedal

i asked a question and noby is giving my the answer

i dont care about wieght i have a big truck to carry all the bands gear and i have friend who help move stuff at gigs

just answer my question insted of doing the typical guitarist ****ing thing that i know better and "you dont want to do that"

answer the question

and as regards the power soak thing it is a master volume but it works and i like the sound it makes

i wasn't advertised as a power soak it was the easiest way to explain what it was
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

Quote by peavey6505+user
Heres the story:

you're not actually cranking the amp with the power soak, it's just a master volume.

So, you'd take a crappy sounding tube amp over a great sounding clean solid state amp?
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 18, 2009,
Quote by al112987

So, you'd take a crappy sounding tube amp over a great sounding clean solid state amp?

WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT CLEANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
****ING LEADS
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

Y'see, people are getting confused because you're asking such a stupid question.

One amp for clean and one for distortion is common enough, but wanting to use one head for cleans and rhythm distortion and another for "lead distortion" is downright retarded, that's why they invented pedals ffs.

Why don't you just do something sensible like sell the 6505 and get something like an ENGL that'll do everything?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 18, 2009,
Calm down, you're just making yourself look like an idiot.

The Laney GH series heads have great lead tones when you get it up to proper volumes.

However, it's fairly stupid to buy another head just to fill the gap in your flightcase. If you ask me, you should downsize to a single head/rack flightcase, running two amp heads together is not quite as straightforward as you seem to think it is. You could use any spare money to upgrade your cab, or even buy one amp that'll do it all.
Last edited by Nolly at Jan 18, 2009,
lol chill out hoss, I can't really think of an amp that will get you better lead tones than a 5150 at the budget you're talking about. I really don't see the purpose of spending $1200 on a new head just because you have space for a head. I guess if I had to suggest something that could get a different kind of lead tone that might be in your budget if you buy used and find a good deal is a Marshall 1987 reissue or a Ceriatone clone or something. But it doesn't have the effects loop that you want.

Second, if you can't point out anything that you dislike about your lead tone, it's hard to make a suggestion.
Quote by peavey6505+user
i asked a question and noby is giving my the answer

i dont care about wieght i have a big truck to carry all the bands gear and i have friend who help move stuff at gigs

just answer my question insted of doing the typical guitarist ****ing thing that i know better and "you dont want to do that"

answer the question

and as regards the power soak thing it is a master volume but it works and i like the sound it makes

i wasn't advertised as a power soak it was the easiest way to explain what it was

I would have helped - I know the perfect thing.
But, from your impatience and the way you speak, I refuse to help you.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
frontman 15 g

GREAT CLEANS

kidding. screw laneys and engls. a veery nice mid-80s marshall can be had for the same price, unless you want something new that comes with a warranty and whatnot. Then in that case, look into Mesa.
i agree with al, what is it you want for your lead tone that your not getting, more bite? more definition? more cut?
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
if you MUST get a new head wait 3 or 4 weeks and get a mesa Mark IV of ebay for a thousand bucks
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
i agree with bostonrocks, except i think you should just ditch the 6505, get a mark IV, and use that for all your sounds
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by Simsimius
I would have helped - I know the perfect thing.
But, from your impatience and the way you speak, I refuse to help you.

That's kind of what I was thinking. We are all here on our own free will. The TS didn't pay a subscription for a gear Help Desk like acdcrocks said.

I'm confused too as to what you are missing in your 'Lead' tone. I think you want a cleaner tone based on your volume box comment so I would possibly sell your 6505 and pick up a used 5153.

you could always get an empty head shell to fill your case or whatever.

and I agree, switching to another amp mid song to play a lead part is crazy.
Quote by steven seagull

Why don't you just do something sensible like sell the 6505 and get something like an ENGL that'll do everything?

Yet again, Mark gives the best solution.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Have you looked into possibly getting a Spider 3 head or Marshall MG100 head??? I think they would both work great for your set up.

Honestly though, just get a one trick pony like a Mark V, possibly, or Carvin V3, or something like that.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?