right basically im making a very sexy explorer, using ash body and a rather beautiful maple neck.

i was wandering the peice of maple i have is not big enough for the headstock, so what im going to use is either a peice of iroko or sapele to join on the end but what is the standard join here?

diagrams or photos would be greatly appreciated

oh and its gonna be a set neck just liek the great james hetfields explorer
I would use scrap of the same wood to make up the size of the headstock, not a different wood.

Can you post a picture of the neck and the headstock you want to use?

As long as the peice of wood your adding is not going to be stressed (e.g wont be touching a machine head) then it wont matter what joint you use. Try to match the grain for aesthetics though.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Usaully like this.

Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
scarf joint,

and its INCREDIBLY strong, much much stronger than any form of headstock, far superior to a one piece.

that however is an awful looking joint, clearly if any type of hand-labor went into that instrument, the triple-laminated headstock would be glued, not some time of crap one piece maple pulled from a box.
Quote by LP Addict
scarf joint,

and its INCREDIBLY strong, much much stronger than any form of headstock, far superior to a one piece.

that however is an awful looking joint, clearly if any type of hand-labor went into that instrument, the triple-laminated headstock would be glued, not some time of crap one piece maple pulled from a box.

look mate, i have the machinery i aint doing in my back shed im doing it in sixth form at school with a highly skilled teacher.

how would u go about doing a scarf joint?
okay well first you must pick your neck angle, gibson uses a 16-17 degree angle.

you need a 3'' wide neck blank, mark it out appropriately.

a table saw jig is the best way, google "table saw scarf joint jig" and your answer will be short and sweet.