is it true that if u have active pickups, you should have a tube amp

why is not reccomended to have active pups and a SS amp

thanks
uhh, theres no rule on active pickups or anything. its just that active pickups are designed to push tubes harder, and so there obviously best with tube amps. if you use a solid state amp, active pickups might make it sound too gainy and sharp, they wont compliment the sound as much as they would on a tube amp, but if you like active pickups with any amp, go for it. however, this doesnt mean that there is any point in spending 250 bucks getting EMG's if your using a crappy amp
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Active pickups can help push the preamp tubes a little harder, resulting in more gain and much better sound.

Due to SS amps being transistor based it sounds not that good really.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Active Pickups have their output clipped by solid state amplifiers so they do not have their full tone. Tube amps are the only way to go to get real active tone

EDIT: Pickups should only be used to improve tone. Not to totally reinvent it. A good guitar through a **** amp with any pickups will make little difference. A **** guitar with **** pickups through a good amp will still sound good
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Last edited by Dopey_Trout at Jan 18, 2009,
Never heard that one before. My son has EMGs on his Epi and plays through a Fender SS amp. Bottom line is, you're not going to hurt anything by playing this set up through a SS amp. The only reason I can think to play it through a tube amp, is the tube amp will break into distortion quite nicely with the high-gain pups. It'll just sound better.
thanks

im gettin a new guitar and amp. Im kinda confused on whether or not to buy tube or SS.

Can anyone reccomend any amps that around £350-£400 and that are capable of playin metal?

thanks!
Just remember one thing - If you buy a tube amp, it's going to need occasional maintenance to keep it sounding like new. That means replacing the power tubes every year to year and a half and replacing the preamp tubes about every two to three years. Certain amps also require that new tubes be biased, which can also mean about $50 to a technician after replacing the tubes. If you can afford this, then I'd say grab yourself some tube gusto.
im convinced to go for tube

can anyone recommend tube amps. my budget is 350-400 pounds and i play hard rock, metal etc
the problem is i dont know how much stuff costs in england, but i know that you should look at english brands like laney to get more bang for your buck.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
ive been lookin at the Laney VC30, only prob it doesnt do metal so id probably need a distortion pedal
i wouldnt get a distortion pedal. i would get an overdrive pedal like a bad monkey and use it to boost the amp's distortion into metal. it's gonna sound a lot better than most metal distortion pedals
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand