Hey guys,
I have been playing guitar since I was 13, so about 9 years now. I played in a band in high school and we played a few shows but since I started college, I really have not done much as far as musical accomplishments. I never stopped playing and in fact my love for the instrument and learning new things such as fingerstyle, jazz, and improving my soloing in general has never been stronger. My problem is, I am having trouble figuring out some specific goals to aim for.
I really want to do something with my playing and so far I have come up with a few options and would love to see what you guys think.

- Get a setlist of acoustic fingerstyle songs under my belt to perform somewhere (where? who wants to hear instrumental music? do I need to have originals or can it be mostly covers? - I am a huge Tommy E. fan)

- Develop a setlist of jazzy chord melody songs to be played on an electric with no other accompaniment

- Create some jazz backing tracks and improv over them (a la Robert Conti) problem here is my jazz playing is at a very beginner level

As you can see I am leaning toward stuff that I can do on my own. I am open to ALL suggestions and advice and ALL is greatly appreciated. Just so you guys can get some idea of my skill level I will post my youtube link below. Thanks so much! I can't wait to read your replies!

youtube.com/prs1986
You guys think busking in subway stations or parks is a good start? I live in Boston and I sometimes see people doing this. Do you need some kind of permit to do this?
You might need a permit, depends on the law/bylaws of the state/city.

if you were caught without one though, i suspect you'd just get moved on, not fined or anything.
Ralph Towner is most excellent. Check him out, see if you'd like to play his stuff.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Hey, you poasted this on teh other forum

You're cheating on us

Learn some Chet Atkins
Quote by gibson311
Hey guys,
I have been playing guitar since I was 13, so about 9 years now. I played in a band in high school and we played a few shows but since I started college, I really have not done much as far as musical accomplishments. I never stopped playing and in fact my love for the instrument and learning new things such as fingerstyle, jazz, and improving my soloing in general has never been stronger. My problem is, I am having trouble figuring out some specific goals to aim for.
I really want to do something with my playing and so far I have come up with a few options and would love to see what you guys think.

- Get a setlist of acoustic fingerstyle songs under my belt to perform somewhere (where? who wants to hear instrumental music? do I need to have originals or can it be mostly covers? - I am a huge Tommy E. fan)

- Develop a setlist of jazzy chord melody songs to be played on an electric with no other accompaniment

- Create some jazz backing tracks and improv over them (a la Robert Conti) problem here is my jazz playing is at a very beginner level

As you can see I am leaning toward stuff that I can do on my own. I am open to ALL suggestions and advice and ALL is greatly appreciated. Just so you guys can get some idea of my skill level I will post my youtube link below. Thanks so much! I can't wait to read your replies!

youtube.com/prs1986

I need to follow your example since your background story is almost the same as mine in terms of playing experience, love of the instrument, and the amount of time you can devote to it. I don't play nearly as much as when I had a band or I was taking lessons twice a week and 10 of my friends played in high school. Now only 2 of us play, and we rarely get a chance to jam so I just channel my love for all things guitar through my job at the music store and help others out where I faltered and just didn't have the drive to see things through (theory, scales, regimented practicing rather than slayer and iron maiden riffs night after night).

Figure out your goals because I can tell you I'm dealing with some very hard choices right now, and the only "goal" I'm reaching is getting my four year university degree in history, but I have no direction of where to go once that's done in April, and the music store I'm at currently is a dead ender. I work with guys who are twice my age and make the same as I do being a part timer most of the year and full timer only in summer, and they've been there for 6 years and 8 years respectively, I've only been there 3 and we all make the same and there's no commission either and it's not enough to pay my rent/bills/food without significant student loans while my wife is completing her medical degree, so it's going to be hard to try and set a career goal without having too many options on the table. Even in something as rudimentary as guitar playing, you set goals there, and hopefully it can help you set bigger goals that will matter for you down the road.
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6