Page 1 of 2
I grew up listening to rap. Around 14 years old I started to hated it. So I started listening to Nu-Netal bands, then progressive metal, then trash metal, went heavier and started to death metal, turned that into technical death metal, now I'm sick of DM and starting to get into melodic death metal/"core" metal

All that and I'm about to turn 17 in a month

Does this happen to anyone else?
Quote by Endless_Pain
I grew up listening to rap. Around 14 years old I started to hated it. So I started listening to Nu-Netal bands, then progressive metal, then trash metal, went heavier and started to death metal, turned that into technical death metal, now I'm sick of DM and starting to get into melodic death metal/"core" metal

I have found that rather than just moving on to new things, my musical taste just keeps broadening.
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
I used to love Linkin Park & all that. I kinda grew out of that and went into more genres. Not to say I don't like Linkin Park, I just found more music. I listen to pretty much everything to be honest. Tool to Jack Johnson to Zeppelin to N.W.A

Quote by Chance125
I have found that rather than just moving on to new things, my musical taste just keeps broadening.

Yeah this.
It expands but it doesn't change. Sometimes I'm not in the mood to listen to certain things, but I don't start to hate it.
I used to listen to...nu metal. Then I went on to symphonic metal, then melodic death. Then a bit of death/doom.
🙈 🙉 🙊
I started with GnR and it has spread to Glamrock, more Hardrock, Thrash, Groove and Doom Metal, Classic Rock...

it expands with me.
i used to be a sum 41 addict a few years ago. i kinda went widespread punk, thn started listing to trivium and arch enemy.

now My music range is very wide, dallas green and blink 182 are my favs.
I started off listening to Blink, Sum41, and Linkin Park, I still listen to some of then, but my taste has expanded to melodic/death metal and other stuff like that.
2 years ago I was a Green Day fan-boy

Yesterday (No pun intended :p I bought Help! by The Beatles
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
It changes a lot but doesn't stray too far from where I started. Bon Jovi was first and now it's Coheed and Cambria.
Eternity isn't long
If all you so is sleep
And forever is just a little while
If all you do is dream.

All Alone is All we Are
Quote by gen0doom
I started off listening to Blink, Sum41, and Linkin Park, I still listen to some of then, but my taste has expanded to melodic/death metal and other stuff like that.

pretty much that for me, if you asked my 12 year old self i would say Sum 41>all
i still like them, but i dont listen to them very often now.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
I used to love this band called Searchbar.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by Chance125

Yeah same for me.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
i used to like rap last year even until a bit after christmas, than i just started listening to nirvana and the like because i remembered watching the 100 greatest songs of the 90's and i was interested in nirvana since they won. now i despise all modern rap, and my taste just keeps broadening, although i haven't exactly started to delve into some of the areas of metal as much, as of right now i'm into thrash in the metal genre.
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
Quote by Chance125
This.
You just saved me the trouble of pressing 7 more buttons than than it took to type this.
I have always loved Rock N' Roll. I have been playing air guitar since I was two, and put a hole in sheet rock at the same age due to head banging.'

But, when I was 12-14, I listened to rap a lot in hopes to gain the acceptance of my older brothers. But it failed. So I stopped listening to it. Even though, still to this day, I can bust out Eminem's "Way I am" word for word.
Yup. Ages 9-11 I was into Green Day, Simple Plan, and Yellowcard. Ages 12-13 I liked rap. When I turned 14 I started liking Paramore, Atreyu, and August Burns Red. Whilst I'm still 14, I then started liking heavier metalcore, such as The Agony Scene and Beneath The Sky. Then I started liking softer deathcore like As Blood Runs Black, and Bring Me The Horizon. Then I started liking heavier deathcore like Whitechapel, I Declare War, and Waking The Cadaver. Now I'm 15, and I like pop-punk, metalcore, deathcore, all sub-genres death metal, melodic black metal, hardcore, punk, progressive metal, southern rock, and goregrind.
EDIT : I forgot, I also like Thrash and Death/Doom.
Last edited by Ih8hxcdancers at Jan 18, 2009,
My taste is just getting larger. I listen to a lot of genres now.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
I gain new musical interests very often, but I very rarely forget about the ones I listened to before that.

And, you think going from rap, to nu metal, to various types of metal is a lot for three years?

Since I started playing guitar four years ago, I've gone from listening to just radio rock and classic rock, to listening to blues, to listening to metal (of all kinds), to indie, to electronic, to experimental, to avant garde, and back and forth between them all.

You would have thought I was a schizo.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Well yeah, mine's broadening too. But it's more often that my focus moves from one genre to the other. I don't start to dislike most bands I liked earlier in my life, so I guess it just broadens.

I first listened to rap, then played guitar hero, then liked rock, GnR, Van Halen, Metallica, and then nothing more louder than Slayer, but also Dream Theater is one of my favorites, along with Megadeth. Then Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Cream, Queens Of the Stone Age are bands I like. But it didn't stop there, I still like rap, old school rap, Run DMC, Grandmaster Flash, Tupac. But no newer rappers then those. Then again I also listen to pop, good pop, from now. And then I don't mean the overproduced stuff- you have to find the gems in between those.

Well, this was my post. I think most people don't bother to read it totally, oh well. Life goes on =3.
Quote by Chance125

This. I just don't go off music for some reason. Some people say they grow out of some music, but it doesn't happen with me for some reason. I still listen to the same stuff I did 15 years ago, but with another 15 years of music I've listened to since added on to the collection.
No, they just expand. I never used to listen to folk, classical or jazz music but I've been listening to Black Sabbath for nearly ten years and never get tired of it. If you grow out of metal, you were never metal to begin with.
Quote by Trefellin
No, they just expand. I never used to listen to folk, classical or jazz music but I've been listening to Black Sabbath for nearly ten years and never get tired of it. If you grow out of metal, you were never metal to begin with.

Yup. I listened to metal for a little while, but grew out of it quite quickly. I only really listened to it because my friends did.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
I used to love European metal, but I'm really sick of it now. Wintersun and Ensiferum are the only ones I still listen to really. I've moved on and now I much prefer Japanese metal, Visual Kei, J-rock/pop.
My Last.FM

"The more you think, the better you're going to play. That should be a quote somewhere."
- Marty Friedman
Quote by Chance125

same here
Copy and pasta from my earlier thread:

Quote by Harmonius
I know - it's a pretty vague thread title but I've contemplated this for about 2 years and a lot of my UG online friends have known that I've since become bored of your typical, "Guitar Music", whether it be punk rock, modern rock, classical rock, blues, shred, metal, prog, alternative, indie, acoustic pop/rock etc etc. The only genre which I occassionally listen to is Country and Jazz/Western/Rag Time and even then, I'll say that's a rarity (a tune once every 4 months it looks like it).

I don't think I'm very closed-minded in terms of music because I know I listen to a vast array of it - classical and opera included actually. I've just gotten to a point where I can't get back into Western music (for the past 2/3 years I've only really listened to a lot of Chinese music - C-pop/Cantopop/Mandopop) - which is quite heavily pop orientated actually. I might link with examples later.
It's not a phase by my recollection - I've had phases before but this is really different. I know the new music out now is worse than it used to be, arguably, which is why I've tried to listen to the older stuff but I'm just really, really bored of it that I feel like it's not doing anything for me anymore. I know SilentDeftone (I think he's retired and left UG now) made a similar thread to everyone's surprise.
So my question is, have you reached the point where you really couldn't give a toss about "guitar music" in the sense that you can't really listen to it anymore because it bores the hell out of you? Of course I don't absolutely hate it and cover my ears whenever I hear something remoted guitar-ridden, I'm just bored. I'm not expecting a lot of "yes's" here but I believe I'll get a lot of flaming. I'm keeping this a PIT discussion because I feel that it fits the criteria but if the mods would like to move it to B&A, feel welcome.

I've put up a poll with two very straight forward answers. I feel that the options are very polar, in the sense that it's either a yes or a no. This **** has dragged on way too long and I've yet to ask UG. For the record, I do play guitar and have done for 6 years and if I get the time, I might still play the odd riff etc but it still does nothing for me and that's serious by guitarist standards. It's not so much the guitar itself but the genre of "guitar music" as a collective whole.

As HellBoundJohnny rightly described: The spark has indeed gone. I don't know what it is - even the spark has gone from other non-guitar orientated genres. If I had to put it in a serious context: barring one genre, I hate all other music and hate is a strong word. Perhaps disinterested is the one. Music as a whole is getting pretty boring. My situation is looking pretty dire.

Feel free to discuss that issue here

To answer your question - it changed once I grew bored of each genre that I went through and now it's come to the point that I'm so far bored of it that it won't inspire me ever again.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

i started out listening to all classic rock and hair metal. When I got a little older i started listening to screamo and hard rock. Then I started in on punk as a whole. Now I mostly listen to punk with some screamo here and there. But ya Ive come along way
Eh, I started off listening to AC/DC, then listened to rap in middle school because it was cool, but then I started listening to AC/DC, which got me into heavier stuff, bluesier stuff. Then I started smoking ganj, and now Im into Reggae. And snce I've been in the Jazz program, I enjoy a lot of Jazz stuff. I got a Pinesquier, so I play some country stuff now too.

But my heart lies with Blues and Rock, and I go through different phases of music. I just got out of my Lamb of God phase, and now Im playing Skynyrd, Zeppelin, Johnny Cash constantly. It helps me grow as a musician, methinks.
I remember when i was like 11, i loved rap music. I started getting into Red Hot Chili's when i was like 11 too, and when i had my first guitar lesson, my guitar teacher showed me Enter Sandman; ever since then I've been a total metalhead. I started off with Metallica, then maiden, and ever since then my musical taste has been broadening hugely.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Quote by BLToast
It expands but it doesn't change. Sometimes I'm not in the mood to listen to certain things, but I don't start to hate it.

same it has expanded a lot for me in the past 6 months. in those 6 months i found the artists in this order:
Weezer-Jimi Hendrix- RHCP-Megadeth-Alice in Chains-QOTSA-Kyuss
i also discovered lots of music in between, but those are the main ones
Quote by severed-metal
These don't sound like very good ambitions when driving...Judas Priest makes people want to go 200 mph, and Realm of Chaos is now an album for ramming shit. You are dangerous, dangerous people.

last.fm
Quote by Chance125

Me too. Also the genre I feel like listening to changes like weekly except when I occasionally get obsessed with a band like I am with The Avett Brothers right now.
My musical taste doesn't change, I just listen to different things while still appreciating the other stuff I've liked.

I grew up listening to rap, went to techno, then pop rock, then video game music, then j-pop, then melodic death metal, metalcore, back to melodic death and metal in general, then rap, back to metal, then j-pop/rock. Though I think I stopped liking techno for sure.
Quote by Endless_Pain

no.
I don't listen the **** out of one thing then give up and find something new. I just constantly find new music from a variety of different genres. I broaden my horizons instead of finding new ones.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
i like a lot of music, from santana to behemoth, good music is good music. Melodeaths my favorite though. basicly it's just broudining to include more bands.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Last edited by CG Man16 at Jan 18, 2009,
i listen to everything, but my main focus usually switches back and forth between Metal (think thrash/hardcore) and blues (from Muddy Waters to The White Stripes) about every 6 months or so. don't know why this happens but it always does and has for the last 3 or 4 years
Page 1 of 2