That's a ridiculously vague question that borders on unanswerable.
Any of them. Read the theory sticky and learn how they're constructed.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
you cant use scales really... use chord shapes, for instance:

E------------3---
B----------3-----
G--------4-------
D------5---------
A----5-----------
E--3-------------

although yeah, i agree with the above statement - youre being far too vague. just find some chords you like the sound of, (barres rather than open chords), and theyre pretty much gonna sound the same, except appregiated, when you sweep them.
Last edited by liam177lewis at Jan 18, 2009,
you cant use scales really

Why can't you? Most of my sweep picking is scalar.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
You can " sweep scales"

Sweep is a technique, and technique and theory are completely separate entities.

if you sweep, tap, pick, lick, blow an A7 chord, it will still be an A7 chord. The technique is just for aural pleasing and interest.

I dislike sweeping, cause it sounds too 80's most of the time.

1 of the only true good sweepers I know of is frank gambale, who actually makes a good use of it.

Most other people that sweep do it for lulz.

That being said, I haven't heard everyone, so if anyone has a good example of interesting non wank sweeping please post (and I don't mean small 3 note per string like sweeps to go into notes, I mean actual sweep playing melodies etc.)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 18, 2009,
yea you don't really use scales for sweeping you can use the CAGED method and you can use chord shapes. I honestly don't think scales and sweeping are related. And don't ask me about the CAGED method because its confusing.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG-350 YE w/ Super Dist. and PAF pro pups
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
I honestly don't think scales and sweeping are related.

They're no less related that sweeping and chords.
you can sweep scales, but it is ridiculously hard to do it in the same sense as arpeggios because it requires having your left and right hand in perfect coordination, and your fretting hand being able to pull off extremely fast legato.

in short, yes, but arpeggios are so much simpler.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by Archeo Avis
Why can't you? Most of my sweep picking is scalar.

well i found, when i started sweeping, i couldnt really do more than one-note-per-string. this guy clearly is only starting on the technique, so i dont wanna fry his brains :P

if youre playing scalar stuff at high speed youre better off alternate picking, or a picking technique, rather than a left-right hand fluidity one such as sweeping.
Quote by liam177lewis
well i found, when i started sweeping, i couldnt really do more than one-note-per-string. this guy clearly is only starting on the technique, so i dont wanna fry his brains :P

if youre playing scalar stuff at high speed youre better off alternate picking, or a picking technique, rather than a left-right hand fluidity one such as sweeping.

You're never better of. IT totally depend son the sound you're after.

Either that or you want to impress ur friends.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Archeo Avis
They're no less related that sweeping and chords.

Yea your probably right. I'm not a master of theory yet because i've only been playing for a year. And if scales are related to chords then all must be related to sweeping i just use chord shapes as a reference to sweeping patterns.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG-350 YE w/ Super Dist. and PAF pro pups
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
Quote by liam177lewis

Again, what does any of this have to do with sweep picking scales?
Here's my secret method for sweep picking scales:

Step 1: Takes notes from scale
Step 2: Put one of them on each string
Step 3: Sweep them
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit
Sweeping is generally 1 note per string. You can sweep anything with 1 note per string.

If there was 2 notes on every string it wouldn't be sweeping. You can basically do this:

G----------------4-
D------------3-----
A--------2---------
E----1------------- and sweep it. That helped me when starting out.

EDIT: It actually helped me get the right hand technique down. You can go a LOT more advanced with these kind of coordination exercises though.
Last edited by Ikonoklast at Jan 18, 2009,
Quote by Ikonoklast
If there was 2 notes on every string it wouldn't be sweeping. You can basically do this:

Sweeping describes the picking motion, not the fretting motion. With some well honed legato skill, it would be entirely possible to sweep two notes per string.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Sweeping describes the picking motion, not the fretting motion. With some well honed legato skill, it would be entirely possible to sweep two notes per string.

So then at what point does it stop being sweeping and start becoming eco picking or a run done with just down picks?
Quote by Ikonoklast
So then at what point does it stop being sweeping and start becoming eco picking or a run done with just down picks?

Sweeping and Economy picking are the same technique, but used as words in different approaches.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
when you pick a note more than once i assume it stops being sweeping.

*EDIT* - but of course i am not familiar with economy picking vs sweep picking.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by aradine
when you pick a note more than once i assume it stops being sweeping.

*EDIT* - but of course i am not familiar with economy picking vs sweep picking.

Read post ^^

They are the same technique.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Thanks, i know what sweeping is. It's okay saying with honing legato sweep picking more than one note per string is possible. But then if you were fast enough you could get sweeping effects with 6 note per string runs. You know what i meant. And in any case, i was trying to help clarify sweep picking to a novice, what's the point in being picky?
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Read post ^^

They are the same technique.

They're not, eco picking is a combination of sweeping and alt picking, sweeping is sweeping.
Quote by Ikonoklast
They're not, eco picking is a combination of sweeping and alt picking, sweeping is sweeping.

the technique is the same.]

the actual technique going from 1 string to another in fluid motion. It maybe different in approach like I said, but the technique is the same.

EDIT:

Hence the name ECONOMY picking, cause it's an economic way of movement.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 18, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
the technique is the same.]

the actual technique going from 1 string to another in fluid motion. It maybe different in approach like I said, but the technique is the same.

Oh you mean the actual physical act of going between strings. Gotcha!
Quote by Ikonoklast
Oh you mean the actual physical act of going between strings. Gotcha!

yes

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
yes

Right gotcha. Wasn't trying to be a dick, you quite clearly know more than me, and your playing is better too, just trying to help the TS with his chops!
Quote by xxdarrenxx
You can " sweep scales"

Sweep is a technique, and technique and theory are completely separate entities.

if you sweep, tap, pick, lick, blow an A7 chord, it will still be an A7 chord. The technique is just for aural pleasing and interest.

I dislike sweeping, cause it sounds too 80's most of the time.

1 of the only true good sweepers I know of is frank gambale, who actually makes a good use of it.

Most other people that sweep do it for lulz.

That being said, I haven't heard everyone, so if anyone has a good example of interesting non wank sweeping please post (and I don't mean small 3 note per string like sweeps to go into notes, I mean actual sweep playing melodies etc.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni8KBhnebwE

Watch closely at 1:14.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot

That's what I meant with small sweeps. Nothing wrong with a few of those.

I meant like creating an entire passage of sweeps just to make it harder. Jason Becker did it, but I can forgive him because he has a few very cool songs.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Ah, I meant more to show it in a non-80's metal way.

(At least, I'm pretty sure Chet Atkins didn't play any Poison covers.)
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.