Page 1 of 3
Egnater Group
Egnater Site
Bruce Egnater is an amp builder from the Detroit, MI and started playing guitar at age 13. Through years of playing in local rock bands, he found himself constantly tinkering with his gear to get new sounds. After attending the University of Detroit Engineering School, he opened a guitar and amplifer repair shop in 1975. Bruce's shop (The Amp Lounge) still operates in the Detroit (Berkley) area.

Bruce's most recent amplifiers (MOD50/MOD100) and preamplifiers (M4) use a modular architecture, which supports 2-4 vacuum tube-based modules in a footswitchable configuration. By changing out the modules, a wide variety of classic guitar tones can be achieved. There are 12 modules currently available, covering amplifier styles from classic Fender/Marshall/Vox tones through modern high gain tones.

Bruce's collaboration with Randall Amplifiers resulted in the Randall MTS series of guitar amplifiers and preamplifiers, which follow the same modular design but use less expensive parts than amplifiers Bruce builds and sells himself. The Randall models include the RM100 head & combo, RM80 combo, RM50 head & combo, RM20 head & combo, RM4 preamplifier, RT2/50 power amplifier, and close to 20 modules. Several endorsees of the Randall modular system include Ty Tabor of King's X, George Lynch, Dan Donegan of Disturbed, Brad Delson of Linkin Park, and recently Kirk Hammett of Metallica. Bruce has also contributed to the designs of the Randall RG50TC, RH50T, V2, and T2 amplifiers.

The newest product is the Egnater Tourmaster series, which contains the Tourmaster 4100 Head, the Tourmaster 4212 2x 12" Combo and 4x 12" cabs (slant & straight version). The amps are all tube, 4 channel and the power amp has a special grid to choose a preselected power for each of the channels between 10 and 100W. All cabs are loaded with Vintage Celestion speakers. Combo is loaded with Celestion Elite 80 speakers, custom made for Egnater, which are a variation of Custom Lead 80 speaker Celestion makes.

Bruce Egnater has been designing, modifying and manufacturing guitar amplifiers for over 30 years. He’s worked with legendary artists such as Peter Frampton, Nuno Bettencourt, “Dimebag” Darrell and countless others.

The Philosophy at Egnater is to always be innovative and hope that in doing so, can inspire you to play and find the sound that you’ve always been looking for.

With over 30 years of design, modification and manufacturing of tube amplifiers for pros and novices alike, they aim to create products to fit every style of player. Whether you’re on tour, playing local clubs or Churches, or just jamming at home with friends, they’ve got what you’re looking for.

MODULES:

B-MAN
“Just Dirty Enough”. Bad description for your toothbrush. Good description for women. The perfect description for guitar tones. When you’re looking for a guitar tone that’s just dirty enough, look no further than the BMAN.

T/D
Do you wish they all could be California Girls Amps? Well, between these two channels, you can go right back to the best of Fullerton, CA, circa the 1960's.

Channel A gives you the main ingredient for cooking up sparkling cleans, (well suited for effects). Try this channel through a 4x12, and you get glorious, purposeful cleans that are so sweet, they'll make the wind cry Mary.

Channel B serves up that classic, pushed, compressed roots-rock sound. If you want a channel that behaves like a small amp but sounds larger than your half of the stage, then this one's for you. This a channel that no self-respecting tone-chef should be without.

VX
A module so rich, it’ll make the Fab Four sing hail to the Queen.

Channel A is made for across-the-pond, shimmering cleans that jangle and chime like they’re supposed to. This top boost channel gives us a ticket to ride all the way to Liverpool.

Channel B is pushed hard and rich with overtones- stated simply: It Will. It Will. Rock You.

SL
This low to medium gain module moves you anywhere between the JTM45 and the Plexi. Players modded these amps for a reason and created a sliding scale of “perceived gain” vs. “actual gain”. But, hey, it was the 70’s and things were still a little hazy.

Channel A is the actual gain level, which is a fantastic channel for those about to rock...

...once the rocking has commenced, Channel B is the perceived gain level and will really shake up the toys in your attic. If you’d like to match this up with another module that creates the Be All End All of Marshall Tones...

SL2
...the SL2 picks up right where the SL leaves off. Sit back, and let Egnater Amplification take you back to the days of real guitar solos, spandex pants, and guitar players who got frustrated when their girlfriends would use up all the hairspray and eye shadow.

Channel A gives you the JCM800, in all of it's thunderous fire-breathing glory.

Channel B should come with a can of Aqua Net. This channel gives you the sound of modded and hot rodded Marshall Amps,

EG 3/4
Here in our worldwide headquarters (a.k.a The Amp Lounge), we asked what would happen if we were to take the SL2 and smooth it out a bit for soloing. We darkened it up a bit, and added a touch of mid range emphasis, and created what is the perfect sound for mic’ing through a p.a. system (which is more and more common for you guys that gig regularly).

Channels A and B were taken from the acclaimed Egnater TOL amplifiers and act as great rhythm and lead channels for guys who favor a lead tone that is a little smokier.

C.O.D.
What would you say if we told you that you could have one of the most famous boutique amplifiers in recent history- and you wouldn’t have to get in a bidding war with John Mayer to have it?

Well, welcome to the module that lives comfortably between the Dumble Overdrive Special and the Mark IIc, except with it’s own little twist. Even Marshall die-hards who don’t care for Fender amps really like this module because it cuts differently and you play differently. It feels and responds like a Marshall, but with a Fender EQ. You’ll get a module that brings out the mid range in single coils and just loves the neck pickup on a Les Paul. This module is perfect for both Robben Fordabees and Dream Theaterrites.

Erect
The first rule of Amplifier Fight Club? There is no Amplifier Fight Club. The Erect will hit first.

Channels A and B are the same, but any aggressive individual has facility with both hands, right? We found a great setting in a dual-rectified amp and then wired a better version of that harder-edged tone into a module that gives you the tones of modern rock. This module loves Vintage 30’s, eats nuts and bolts for breakfast, and is not safe to be alone with your girlfriend

MHG
So you still have a mullet. And you still wear guy-liner. And you still tuck your acid-washed jeans into your faux snakeskin boots. Well, maybe it’s time to move forward to the current millennium? While most of you will have to change, we can help you make a smooth and comfortable transition from your 1987-1990 guitar tones to something more current.

Introducing the MHG module. This module has the aggression of current modern rock amps, but it makes for a good transition for guys who like the SL2 but aren’t quite ready for the ERECT. This is the module that you’ll need when virtuoso guitar playing comes back in style in the next two years. Be ready. Be prepared. Get a haircut.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Apr 14, 2010,
AMPS
The Tourmaster

The Tourmaster™ 4100 represents the latest in tube guitar amp technology. Our aim in creating the Tourmaster™ 4100 is to offer an extensive array of useable tones and features while keeping things easy to understand and operate. The Tourmaster™ 4100 head and Tourmaster 4212 combo have all the same controls and features. The only difference between the two is that the front and rear panel layouts are reversed to read properly in their respective cabinets.

MAIN FEATURES
* 100-Watt All-Tube Head
* Four Channels with Selectable voicing
* Power Grid: Set Wattage for Each Channel
from 10w up to 100w
* Tube-driven Assignable Effects Loop
* Tube Driven Reverb
* Rugged Six-Button Footswitch
* Powered by Groovetubes™

Think of the Tourmaster™ as four separate amps in one box. Each channel has an identical set of controls that are simply repeated four times. That is where the similarity ends.

Clean/Vintage 1 is the cleanest of the four. Within this channel lives a range of Classic tones ranging from pristine sparkle with the voicing switch set to MODERN to a punchy, aggressive drive (think clean JTM) in the CLASSIC mode. Pressing the button to activate the CONTOUR control opens an entire new range of beautiful clean, almost acoustic, tones not often found in a tube amplifier.

Clean/Vintage 2 has a very similar voicing to the Clean/Vintage 1 channel. We’ve added more gain so this channel can be “pushed” into mild overdrive. Sweet blues and classic rock tones are easily coaxed out of this channel. The contour knob adds another level of unique flavors.

Overdrive 1: From AC/DC crunch to modern rock, this channel covers a lot of bases all by itself. Dial down the gain and the feel is pure classic rock. Push the gain and enter into more modern, saturated territory. Scoop the mids with the CONTOUR control for monstrous metal or set it for classic British rhythm.

Overdrive 2: The Tourmaster’s most intense channel, you’ll find ferocious gain with a wide range of tones to suit the ‘80s shredder as well as the heaviest modern metal player. Scoop the mids with the powerful CONTOUR control for massive crunch or push the midrange for a solo tone that cuts through with serious authority.

Power Grid: This is a really cool feature your will only find on the Egnater Tourmaster™ amps. Using a group of 5 slide switches on the rear panel, you can set the power output for each channel individually. There is a 3 position slide switch corresponding to each of the four channels and a single FULL POWER/ HALF POWER slide switch. In FULL POWER mode you can choose between 100w, 50w or 25w per channel. In the HALF POWER mode you can between choose 50w, 25w or 10w per channel.

With the Tourmaster you not only have a wide array of tones available from the preamp channels, but with the Power Grid you can introduce any amount of power tube distortion you wish to each channel, all preset and automatic.

THE REBEL

Packed with cool and innovative features, the REBEL-20 doesn’t just defy authority, it is the authority!

Sure it’s small, but do not mistake it for a toy. The REBEL-20 is a truly professional amp with innovative features and a sound that is anything but small. Inside you’ll find three GrooveTubes 12AX7 preamp tubes, a pair of GrooveTubes EL84 power tubes and a pair of GrooveTubes 6V6 power tubes. Not only do you get the signature Egnater TIGHT and BRIGHT voicing switches, you also have our exclusive wide range gain control that let’s you go from bluesy clean up to roaring high gain lead all within the range of the single gain knob.

The WATTS control let’s you dial the power from 20 watts to 1 watt for bandstand to bedroom volume. We’ve even included a professional quality effects loop that doesn’t “suck tone”. But the coolest feature of the REBEL-20 is the TUBE MIX control – an Egnater first! With the TUBE MIX knob turned counterclockwise you get the classic American sound of the 6V6 powertubes. Set the knob full clockwise to experience the more aggressive, British sound of the EL84 tubes. For the first time, you can blend the two types of tubes in any proportion you wish to create a truly signature sound.

This compact, innovative little amp was a long time coming. The culmination of many months of designing, testing and tweaking have created a stellar amp that we at Egnater are truly proud of.

FEATURES
* 20-Watt All-Tube Head
* Variable Wattage Control from 1w to 20w
* Tube Mix Blends Between 6V6 and EL84 Power Tubes
* Master Volume, Gain, Three Band EQ
* Egnater Signature Tight and Bright Voicing Switches
* Effects Loop
* Powered by Groove Tubes
* 100V/115V/230V Switchable
* Rugged Shoulder Bag Included
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
I've always wanted one of these maybe I'll have to do it now
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks

+1. to that
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by Bostonrocks

what style of music do you play?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater

its good to see someone put effort into one of these kind of threads
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Lots of nice features, I'd like to try one. I like the watt dial on the Rebel, might fry the tubes a bit quicker though.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

its good to see someone put effort into one of these kind of threads

Effort meaning copy/paste from egnateramps.com?

Nah, bout time there's an Egnater thread, though.
Fender American Strat HSS MAHOGANY!
MXR Carbon Copy
BBE Soul Vibe
Fulltone OCD
Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner
Egnater Tweaker 1x12 Combo
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12 combo
Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
Taylor 114CE
I just bought a Rebel 20, and it's absolutely delicious. I have to say, it absolutely blows away my Tiny Terror. The EQ and effects loop are an especially nice touch on an amp with such great tone and versatility at such a low price.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by harrisonmon
Effort meaning copy/paste from egnateramps.com?

Nah, bout time there's an Egnater thread, though.

dang, you caught me...

i just thought there should be a thread for these awesome amps.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
I play 60s 70s and 80s rock and a bit of hard rock/metal
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I played a Tourmaster 100-watt head through a full two 4x12 cab stack and just couldn't get a decent rock tone out of it that I liked for the price.. I'm gonna have to give it another shot. Perhaps I'm just spoiled now that I've played a few times through an Orange.

Great write-up, though.
I thought the tourmaster was decent. It felt a little too civilized to me though. The bass response was a little too dainty for my tastes. That's a good thing for cleans, but for OD I'd want something with more junk in the trunk.
Finally an Egnater thread!! I was thinking about doing this, but you're already ahead of me.

Just want to say that I LOVE my Rebel 20, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good, solid tube amp for any style really.
Quote by Horlicks
I could've swore they make more than 2 amps.

They make the MOD50 (modular amp), as well, which is mentioned in the original post.
Last edited by PSM at Jan 20, 2009,
I tried the large head w/ the modules (I'm not sure which model amp it was, but it had 4 removable modules in a 100w head). None of the mid to higher gain tones grabbed me at all. Something was just missing, compared to say, a 5150 III, Uberschall, or SLO 100. The amp had no personality, sort of generic.
That being said, I'm still excited to try a Rebel. My local GC got them a while back, & I just haven't made time to do it. I was looking at a 9/14W Divided by 13 that does the 6V6/EL84 tube switch thing, but does not have the blend control, which is genius. Also, the /13 costs well over 3 times as much, & has less gain on tap from what I've heard. The Rebel seems like a winner---gotta try one.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by GNRjungle87
Finally an Egnater thread!! I was thinking about doing this, but you're already ahead of me.

Just want to say that I LOVE my Rebel 20, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good, solid tube amp for any style really.

+1

The Rebel is amazing. Gets down and dirty and cleans up nice. The tone itself is top notch. The features, for a single channel amp, are incredible.
I went to the states for a week and stopped in to a guitar center to just try the tourmaster.....i was sort of disappointed
the distortion was muddy but the cleans were great..but if i wanted great cleans i would save 600+ bucks and get a original bassman...i want to try the rebel though
Quote by tenaciousjp
I went to the states for a week and stopped in to a guitar center to just try the tourmaster.....i was sort of disappointed
the distortion was muddy but the cleans were great..but if i wanted great cleans i would save 600+ bucks and get a original bassman...i want to try the rebel though

That is what I've heard, from a few other sources. My buddy was talkin about gettin rid of his Marshall and gettin a Tourmaster, when I bragged about my Rebel. Egnater seemed to be off a little on the Tourmaster and really nailed the Rebel. Admittedly, the Rebel is kinda in a class of its own.

Sure, it's a little package but it can really do it all, and it is loud as a ****. I have jammed with an enormously loud drummer and it never left the 1w setting or cracked noon on the master. Clean, blues, classic rock, metal. As responsive as any amp I've played.
Quote by Bostonrocks
I play 60s 70s and 80s rock and a bit of hard rock/metal

yeah, the rebel would definitely work for you, if you don't mind a single channel amp.

Quote by Roc8995
I thought the tourmaster was decent. It felt a little too civilized to me though. The bass response was a little too dainty for my tastes. That's a good thing for cleans, but for OD I'd want something with more junk in the trunk.

did you try messing with the contour and the classic/modern controls?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
^isn't out yet I think, they said it should be though in mid april to the summer time.
Quote by slimp
great thread but you forgot the renegade

believe me, when there is more info out there about it, i will put some up for it. there are still in the prototype stages for it. but thanks for the heads up.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
The new stuff announced at NAMM last week looks killer.

Rebel 30
Renegade 50

Search You Tube for these two amps and take a look. Very sweet. I will own the Renegade 50!!!
Hey guys, I am now a proud owner of a Rebel 20.

The thing is, I don't have a cabinet yet. What should I get? I was thinking making my own 2x12 with some eminence speakers, but I am not too sure about making my own cabinet.

Any reccomendations for a cabinet for my Eggy that is cheaper than a stock cab?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
EVJ 112 is a pretty standard buy for cheapos looking to put a cab under the rebel. thats what I did.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Great thread, TS! It's got great info in it. I was hoping one of these would come up so I may ask a question!

I play mainly rock and blues, with variations of the two, like soft rock, very rarely but hard rock, funk, and such. I like getting a range of decent clean tones to fuzz tones, soft distortion, and slightly heavyish distortion. My favorite guitarists that I like to play are John Frusciante, Jack White, Jonny Buckland, Matt Bellamy, and The Edge. The pedals I use are Boss DS-1, Boss DS-2, DOD FX80 Compression, DOD FX60 Chorus, MXR Phase 90, Dunlop Crybaby, and DigiTech Whammy IV. I'm getting more pedals too. Would an Egnater Rebel do the job for me? I've listened to it on YouTube and I've liked what I've heard, and I'm going to try it out sometime. Thanks!

EDIT: I also play with a band consisting of a drummer and bassist. We play the genres listed above and songs involving those guitarists. We do not gig yet but we will be playing small gigs in the future.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
Fender Blues Jr.
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9

THE WHO
Last edited by stratomaster15 at Mar 15, 2009,
Quote by stratomaster15
Great thread, TS! It's got great info in it. I was hoping one of these would come up so I may ask a question!

I play mainly rock and blues, with variations of the two, like soft rock, very rarely but hard rock, funk, and such. I like getting a range of decent clean tones to fuzz tones, soft distortion, and slightly heavyish distortion. My favorite guitarists that I like to play are John Frusciante, Jack White, Jonny Buckland, Matt Bellamy, and The Edge. The pedals I use are Boss DS-1, Boss DS-2, DOD FX80 Compression, DOD FX60 Chorus, MXR Phase 90, Dunlop Crybaby, and DigiTech Whammy IV. I'm getting more pedals too. Would an Egnater Rebel do the job for me? I've listened to it on YouTube and I've liked what I've heard, and I'm going to try it out sometime. Thanks!

EDIT: I also play with a band consisting of a drummer and bassist. We play the genres listed above and songs involving those guitarists. We do not gig yet but we will be playing small gigs in the future.

This amp can definitely do what you're asking. i've gigged with it and it is great. but i do play with a 4x12 cab, so obviously it's goin to push out a little more than an EVJ cab. it takes pedals really well. i dont use the effects loop, though, so i don't know how it sounds.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Has anyone been able to try the Renegade/Rebel 30? Or have they not been shipped yet? I tried the Rebel and really digged a lot of the tones it had, but I was a bit turned off by the price and lack of channels.
Quote by Morgant
Has anyone been able to try the Renegade/Rebel 30? Or have they not been shipped yet? I tried the Rebel and really digged a lot of the tones it had, but I was a bit turned off by the price and lack of channels.

i'm not sure if the renegade has been shipped yet, and i don't think it will until later this year. but the renegade and Rebel 30 sound distinctively different from the Rebel 20.

Bruce said that he didn't want to make a "Rebel 20 killer", because a lot of people like the Rebel 20 as it is, so he saw no point in making an amp that would do everything and more.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
The Renegade 50 and Rebel 30 are due to hit GC in late May/early June. They will blow your mind. The Renegade 50 will prove to be the new standard for 50 watt clean/crunch switchers!!!
I going to have to try out the Rebel, after I get my Edwards LP I was wanting to build a 5E3 Tweed deluxe kit amp, but with the Rebel I don't see a need, I get the 6v6 tube break up going on and the the lower wattage switch so will not need an atenuater to get the OD I want, while being able go to a more britsh type EL84 voicing with a turn of knob, as well mixing to find a happy place in the middle. If only it had a tube rectifier, it would be perfect. I will have to give one of these a try to AB with my Triple X as a low to mid gain alternitve.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
i just purchased a rebel 20 last nite............all i have to say is WOW great cleans and takes pedals great and so versatile. ok i'm going back to play some more
I had my mind set on the rebel 20 but then they announced the Rebel 30 and now I should probably wait. I don't want to have to kick myself later if I end up liking the Rebel 30 more than the 20. (Maybe I'll buy the 20 and never play a 30???) But seriously....... who the heck asked for digital reverb????

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by paruwi

That is amazing.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
can i get good opeth and new heaven and hell ish tones with the rebel 30? what about the renegade?
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
I was wondering about the Rebel 20. I play classic rock (zeppelin, Hendrix, AC/DC, queen, etc.), blues, some metal, and instrumental/shred. Can the amp get tone for both classic rock clean/overdrive to like Steve Vai clean/distortion?
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Page 1 of 3