Hey guys....first things first I am looking to purchase a reasonably affordable 2x12 tube amp. I am looking to play alternative rock/pop rock. My price range goes up to 400$. I have been looking at the palamino v50 though I have heard that the dstortion on that is a little soft and more for a classic type of music. Any Suggestions?
I just bought one and it is AMAZING. The distortion works quite well, but it really depends on what guitar you're using. If you have loud pickups it'll work just fine.
Oh and AcousticLesPaul evidently was not reading the original post, because the Valve Jr. and the Little Giant are both 5-watters with 8-inch speakers and one or two knobs...probably not what you want.
Last edited by sonic_777111 at Jan 18, 2009,
A V50 should do fine for pop rock, and with an overdrive it'll probably give you even more than that. My vote goes to the V50.
I second the V50. Good little thing.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
either the V50 or a Peavey Classic 30, although it is only a 1x12 it's still reasonably powerful.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
I was looking at the peavy classic 30...I didnt like the distortion on it though it was a little too soft for me. Whats the difference in the crate v50 and the palamino v50? ones a 112 and the other is a 212...any examples of what the v50 distortion would sound like??
IDK about the buget but a sound city 6 series might do it. Quality stuff, if your willing to put up with everyone telling you that it doesent suit your music style bacause i have one and play rock to blues and back to metal from it. Aparently it does neither.

But i would recomend it.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker