Say I got a new guitar with active pickups but then one day I saw some real nice passive pickups and wanted to replace my active ones.
If I put a battery in the guitar with passive pickups in, would they act like active pickups?
And Second:
If the guitar came with a single-coil tap and I put the new passive pickups in, would they be able to go into single coil mode?

I'll answer any questions.
Thanks in advance.
Yeah, don't do that. But if you did get passive's, you can get ones that will split.
Why would you want to put passive's in if you want them to act like actives in the first place? Leave the actives in it?
"When sh*t becomes valuable, the poor will be born without assholes."
Quote by MetalManiac_86
Yeah, don't do that. But if you did get passive's, you can get ones that will split.
Why would you want to put passive's in if you want them to act like actives in the first place? Leave the actives in it?

Meh, I'm new to pickups. I'm probably not going to do this but I'm just asking 'what if I did?'.

BTW:
the actives will be EMG 81-TW and EMG 89
the passives will be BareKuckle Warpigs.

I wanted to know because I've heard bad things about EMGs and good things about the Warpigs. I don't like the sound EMGs put out compared to others like Duncans but I've yet to hear some bareknuckles.
Why would you switch if you've never heard Bareknuckles before? If you like Duncans, maybe check out some Blackouts.
Quote by captainoid
Why would you switch if you've never heard Bareknuckles before? If you like Duncans, maybe check out some Blackouts.

I've heard good things about bareknuckle, I'll probably get to hear them when consider chagning pickups (if I do) but this is off-topic.

My original question was:

If I put passive pickups in an active p'ups place but kept a battery in:
a) work with the same effect?
b) be worth it?

EDIT:
Guitar is schecter hellraiser c-1
Last edited by CrimsonBizzare at Jan 18, 2009,
Since passives just aren't designed to work like that.. No to both questions.
Passive pickups are just a coil and magnet, whereas actives are coil, magnet and a preamp built in (hence the 9v battery). Your options are one or the other. They both have their pros and cons... big thing with the actives is the noise reduction. There is less impedance output so a lot less noise on the line. You have to nod towards the passives I think though for overall dynamics. With that said, I just recently bought a new Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul with EMG's and I'm really liking them, having never really been a big big fan of the active pups. Just wanted a new sound for hard rock and metal. It depends on what type of sound and music you will be playing I guess. Check this link out, I think it may answer a lot of things for you:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pSDac4In9ho

EDIT: the guy here however is basically in "rock-out" mode. haha.
Last edited by MetalManiac_86 at Jan 18, 2009,
Quote by MetalManiac_86
Since passives just aren't designed to work like that.. No to both questions.
Passive pickups are just a coil and magnet, whereas actives are coil, magnet and a preamp built in (hence the 9v battery). Your options are one or the other. They both have their pros and cons... big thing with the actives is the noise reduction. There is less impedance output so a lot less noise on the line. You have to nod towards the passives I think though for overall dynamics. With that said, I just recently bought a new Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul with EMG's and I'm really liking them, having never really been a big big fan of the active pups. Just wanted a new sound for hard rock and metal. It depends on what type of sound and music you will be playing I guess. Check this link out, I think it may answer a lot of things for you:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pSDac4In9ho

EDIT: the guy here however is basically in "rock-out" mode. haha.

I'm checking out the vid now. Thanks

EMG bridge sounds better.
Seymour neck sounds better.

Do you think I should stick with the orignal p'ups?
The 2nd and 3rd parts are more towards the technical aspects of the pickups. That link I gave you is more or less the sound of each.
Quote by MetalManiac_86
The 2nd and 3rd parts are more towards the technical aspects of the pickups. That link I gave you is more or less the sound of each.

EMG seems noiseless, there isn't enough difference between them for £220.
I think I stick with the EMGs

EDIT: I'm getting the hellraiser with a fixed bridge, so thats good.
Ya like he said, they are equally powerful.. all a matter of taste. Good to know all that stuff with the bridge and string types too.
Quote by MetalManiac_86
Ya like he said, they are equally powerful.. all a matter of taste. Good to know all that stuff with the bridge and string types too.

I'll stick with the EMGs after wtaching that.
just one more thing:
Have you ever tried bareknuckle pickups, and how are they?
Quote by CrimsonBizzare
I'll stick with the EMGs after wtaching that.
just one more thing:
Have you ever tried bareknuckle pickups, and how are they?

Nah dude, haven't played 'em