Is the Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 60W head the same as what's on the JCM 2000 TSL combo? What's the difference between the 100W head and 60W in terms of settings? Is one more versatile than the other? Also, if I got a head, would I have to buy a cab or could I use the amp I have now which is a VOX AD30VT?
Last edited by Natalie105 at Jan 18, 2009,
I'm pretty sure they are the same, but I don't have access to the marshall website to help you Sorry!

If you were to get the head you'd probably have to buy a cab for the best results.

I'd recommend the combo over the head though, it's easier to carry around, lower wattage and more practical

Hope it helps!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
As chrisiphone says, the combo is more practical but the better tone will come from the head/cab combo.

According to the Marshall Website

Quote by marshallamps.com
In terms of amplifier attributes, they are identical triplets - in fact the only difference between the 3 of them is the size of the cabinet in which they dwell and the fact that the TSL 601 and TSL 602 combos obviously drive straight into their own internet, custom voiced, celestion speakers

The difference in settings comes in volume and headroom. The 60 W amp will break into that warm crunch well before the 100 W amp.

And, you couldn't, correct me if I've misinterpreted you here, run the head through your amp as this will break it. You need a correctly matched impedence cabinet.

I would personally recommend the combo, but it all depends on your requirement. Large gigs/extended recording = stack
Small gigs/recording/band practice= combo
small gigs/recording/bedroom practice = look into much much much smaller amps as 60 + watts is too much.

Hope this helps.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Ok thanks for your help :] Would there be a huge difference in tone and sound quality from the 100W compared to the 60W?
Buy the combo, a lot of bigger bands just use mic'ed combos these days, even for big summer festivals and such.

I own a JCM2000 TSL602, heavy as ****, but one mighty amp, absolutely love the thing.
Quote by Natalie105
Ok thanks for your help :] Would there be a huge difference in tone and sound quality from the 100W compared to the 60W?

Generally the 100w will sound better when turned fully up BUT you have to compromise.

With the 60w the "sweet spot" of the amp will be at a lower volume when compared with the "sweet spot" of the 100w. So it's more practical there, but if you want clean headroom, then the 100w is the way to go.

Personally i'd go with the 60w without a doubt.

E-Married to Funny_Page
Ok I'm sorted now! Either a JCM 900 1936 cab and JCM 2000 TSL 60W Head or a TSL602 combo, whichever I can get cheapest! Thanks so much for your help :]
Quote by Natalie105
Ok I'm sorted now! Either a JCM 900 1936 cab and JCM 2000 TSL 60W Head or a TSL602 combo, whichever I can get cheapest! Thanks so much for your help :]

It's a pleasure to help!

Remember to tell me how they are when you get them!

E-Married to Funny_Page