My AOR is acting funny.

One of the power tubes glows VERY VERY brightly with the standby off. I can turn the power on and it warms up good and then you turn the standby off you hear a pop which is normal with this amp then it glows a bluish color then gets almost red/orange then the amp shuts off.

I would show you pics but I don't want to turn it on
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I probably wouldn't turn it on either Brett. I'm not an amp expert but that sounds like 'red-plating'. I would order a new set of tubes that are matched. Not sure if you need to bias them or not but it may not hurt to get a bias probe anyway. They are like 30 bucks. Sorry, that is all I can offer suggestion wise.
im not gonna lie

i thought this thread was going to be ablout something else based on the title
Lady Gaga if you're out there, i don't care if you have a penis or not, i will marry you
thanks for the help pal ^

yeah I don't want to spend that though I already have 220 bucks into this thing and it's getting to the point of not worth it to do anything else to it
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
A blue glow is normal. However, if the plates of the tube are glowing red/orange, you've got a problem. Do not turn it on, or you risk damaging the tube, or worse. If the amp has more than 1 power tube, swap them around and try it again. See if the problem stays with the socket or the tube. If it follows the tube, order a new matched pair or quad, bias the amp with the new tubes and you're good. If the problem stays with the socket, take it to a tech for repair.
gimme a minute I'll try that

EDIT: It stayed with the tube so it's a bad tube, one thing, I just changed the tubes less than 3 maybe 4 months ago, there is a deeper problem here, tubes don't go that fast.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Jan 18, 2009,
Well, it's possible to have a bad tube. Case in point - I bought a new Mesa Lonestar awhile back. I was the first one to play it, so it hadn't sat in some store for months. I had it for about 3 months when one of the preamp tubes went bad. Tubes are quite prone to early death. If you replaced the tubes 3 or 4 months ago for the same problem, then I'd say you have something going wrong. Otherwise, it's just a fluke and the nature of the business with valves. If it's a fluke, I'd order a single tube, rebias it and keep rockin'.
Quote by Bostonrocks
gimme a minute I'll try that

EDIT: It stayed with the tube so it's a bad tube, one thing, I just changed the tubes less than 3 maybe 4 months ago, there is a deeper problem here, tubes don't go that fast.

they can do...

think of tubes as fancy lightbulbs. Some will last for months and months and months, then flicker for a month before conking out. Others will plug in, last a month and then pop with a band taking a fuse with them.

THe point being, they can vary from tube to tube. I would personally go and grab a fresh set of tubes and plug em in...
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
okay, thats what I must do, it just that means another 150 bucks outta my pocket thats all.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
If he just replaced them 3 months ago, I'd not worry about replacing the entire pair or quad. For the most part, they're still new tubes and you can get by just replacing the one. If you're really bent on replacing the entire set, you could, but I'd keep the remaining good tubes as emergency spares.
Quote by KG6_Steven
If he just replaced them 3 months ago, I'd not worry about replacing the entire pair or quad. For the most part, they're still new tubes and you can get by just replacing the one. If you're really bent on replacing the entire set, you could, but I'd keep the remaining good tubes as emergency spares.

+1

agreed
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
I'm pretty sure it's cathode, I never biased it myself so I'm not sure I'm almost positive cathode though
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
The problem may not have been caused by the bias. A tube can experience failure at any point in its life - the hot/cold cycles really aren't good for them.

I would definitely search the net, or call a tech, to find out if your amp is fixed or adjustable bias. If it's adjustable, the recommended action is to bias with the new tubes installed, then check it again 6 months later.

Curious... Why did you replace the tubes 3 months ago? Were they just worn out?
cause I bought the amp about 6 months ago and it worked for a day and I was like what the heck I took it to a tech and they said the speaker was blown... okay I replaced the speaker. worked fine for a day or two, and it starts blowing fuses.. by now I'm pretty mad, I take it in and I have a bad tube socket and I blew one of the tubes. so I replaced everything with JJ's thinking new tubes I"ll be good for 6 to 8 months,well appartnly not
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
FWIW, new power tubes should last you about 1 year and a half. Your preamp tubes should last about double that. Tubes typically die by losing their tone. There are some other indicators, but that's one of the biggies.

If you got a 90-day warranty on the repairs made by the tech, I'd take it back in and let him have a look at it. Most techs are decent enough that they won't cut you off at the 90-day point. You may get lucky and get a warranty replacement. Furthermore, the tube maker may also have a warranty against defective workmanship. That tube has a problem and I'd also try pursuing that avenue. They like to keep their customers happy and a bad tube happens every now and again. It's fairly cheap for them to comp you a new tube. That's what I'd try, if I were you.
I'll see what I can do, thanks guys
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
cause I bought the amp about 6 months ago and it worked for a day and I was like what the heck I took it to a tech and they said the speaker was blown... okay I replaced the speaker. worked fine for a day or two, and it starts blowing fuses.. by now I'm pretty mad, I take it in and I have a bad tube socket and I blew one of the tubes. so I replaced everything with JJ's thinking new tubes I"ll be good for 6 to 8 months,well appartnly not

Wow. I didn't realize all of this I guess. It does kinda sound like there is something else going on. Ping Colin, Andrew and Kevin too.

When was the amp made?
If one of the tubes is not making a good connection especially to ground, then it can drastically overheat, red plating the tube and then this will also take out the tube next to it that gets it's B+ from the same transformer tap.

Once a tube has red plated its done, it will red plate every time you try it and you can usually tell if a tube has overheated if the paint on the tube has turned gray, brown or black.
311 the amp IIRC was made in 86? it's a series 1. I knew that the AORs were prone to some small problems but I think I just got one that is a bit off thats all.

It's worked fine up till now I really thing it's just the tube
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
I'm really gasing for a Competition right now
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
^I don't blame you

50 watts - w/ half power switch (triode/pentode)
Single Channel (overdrive) - solo boost, OD1 (rhythm) /OD2 (lead) mode, 3 gear modes
Gears - 1st - Hot Rod Plexi, 2nd - Hot Rod 800, 3rd - Super Hot Rod 800
3 Button Footswitch - Gear control (see below) - #2 OD1/OD2 - #3 Solo Boost
Gear Control (footswitch) - toggle b/t 1st & 2nd gear (when amp set to 1st gear) or b/t 2nd & 3rd (when amp set to 3rd gear
Transformer - Heyboer
Series Effects Loop - w/ true-bypass and adjustable +4db/-10db switch
Impedance Selector - 4/8/16 ohms
Main Voltage Selector - 100, 120, 220, 230V
Tubes - Choice of Mullard EL34s, Tung Sol EL34Bs, or Sovtek KT88s
Price - $1499 (EL34s & EL34Bs), $1550 (KT88s)
Quote by Bostonrocks
thanks for the help pal ^

yeah I don't want to spend that though I already have 220 bucks into this thing and it's getting to the point of not worth it to do anything else to it

I'll gladly take it off your hands.
what do you think I should do for speakers? I'm thinking a SB25/BBL combo

EDIT: how much? it's in perfect working order, that I know of other than one bad tube.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Jan 19, 2009,
Hey guys. sorry for bumping an old thread but I have a problem with my AOR also. I've got a 30w 112 combo. Recently I started lugging my amp around, and just yesterday I noticed the sound was a lot more muddy then usual, but only when I turn it up loud. If it's at a lower volume it won't be as muddy. I thought it was because of the humbucker pickup in my new tele, but then I tried it with my squier strat and it's still muddy/muffled.

I'm thinking it might be the tubes? Because I bought it second hand a couple months ago and the guy before me had the amp for quite a while already without changing the tubes.

I also hear a rattling sort of sound when I play a certain note. But I checked the outside of the amp and it wasn't the cage, the rattling came more from the inside. It sounded like a tube was rattling? But I'm not sure.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks guys.
Quote by cnut
When I was eight, me and my best friend started "practicing for girls".
Which involved us going into the woods, and him sticking his dick in my ass.
The last time we did it, his sister caught us.

CIJ 72 RE Custom Tele
Laney AOR Pro tube 30W