ok so im going to be buil;ding a guitar soon(I already have the neck so just the body) and i was wandering what kind of wood can be found at an amish wood mill or a hard wood seller that would be best and cheapest. I was leaning towards walnut. Hw is wlanut as a "tone wood" and how much can i expect to pay for a piece 2 feet by 1 foot by 2 inches? I live in ohio
Has to be amish?
GEAR
________

Jackson RR3 w/ Dimebucker
Epiphone G400 Extreme
Marshall Mg30 Dfx (It does the job),
Kelry Sinister Strings, 10 - 52's
Dunlop Jazz III's or Dunlop purple 2.00 tortex(sharpened).
go for mahagony... usually not that expensive...
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Sapele is a very nice wood. Quite similar to Mahogany, possibly cheaper than Mahogany because its not too well-known, bit it is imported from Africa and is therefore somewhat "exotic." But tone and weight-wise, id say it isnt too far from Mahogany. I just bought a piece thats about 2.5ft by about 1ft by 1 3/4 in for about $35 for a guitar build Ill be doing soon. Alder also isnt too bad, its rather bright, and is what Strat bodies are normally made of. Poplar will probably be the cheapest, its close to Alder, just has some (sorta nasty) green streaks on it, making it perfect for solid/opaque finishes. And its really easy to find too. The place I bought the Sapele at had tons of Poplar.
Walnut is a great tonewood, You will probably need to glue up a 2 piece body since big enough pieces for one piece bodies are expensive and hard to find. I needed a piece for a tele body last week and ended up having to buy a 66" long x 7 1/2" wide x 2'' thick piece since it was the smallest good looking one they have and it was $54 and I could get 2 bodies out of it. With any luck you can get smaller pieces.
well if i go to an amish wood mill i can easily get any size milled up and im sure i cna get a piece a foot wide and as long as i need i was just wandering about the tonal qualities of walnut. I should be able to get it farely cheap since amish dont like jipping people like most americans
Quote by devinb132
well if i go to an amish wood mill i can easily get any size milled up and im sure i cna get a piece a foot wide and as long as i need i was just wandering about the tonal qualities of walnut. I should be able to get it farely cheap since amish dont like jipping people like most americans

Here's warmoth's description
Walnut (Juglans nigra):
Luxurious coloring and grain patterns are the earmarks of Walnut. Whether using an oil finish or a deep clear gloss, the pleasing appeal of Walnut always delivers. This is an open grained wood. Walnut is in the heavy weight category but it's not quite as heavy as hard maple. It has a similar sound to hard maple but it tends not to be as brigh
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm
thank you sir warmoth just helped me alot i didnt know it had stuff like that
Quote by ohspyro89
But tonal qualities of woods.... don't worry about it.

??? Why not worry about it? If nobody cared about tonal quality all instruments would be made out of plywood
Quote by 2112pk
thank you for stoping this RIDICULOUS argument.
and standing on the side of truth.
but your princess is in another castle
Quote by infinitybass
??? Why not worry about it? If nobody cared about tonal quality all instruments would be made out of plywood

People care for what businesses pump into their heads, the difference between most woods is just price, and aesthetics.

Don't you think it's a bit odd that business have you believing that mahogany's tone is better than poplar? Or that Ash and Alder are very similar in tone? It might be coincidence that Mahogany is a helluva lot more expensive than poplar, and that alder and ash both are about the same cost. Plus, everyone thinks plywood is terrible, it's because it's terribly cheap.

It's the same with like... diamonds (something I will show you, I know nothing about). But any normal person wouldn't need a flawless diamond, but having one and being able to say you have a flawless diamond is a lot better sounding than explaining you couldn't afford the best diamond, so there are these ''flaws'' in it.

I could mention how magnetic induction works, but blah, that'd be like beating a dead horse!
Have a look at your lumber yards stock, and come back to us with what hes got. Like ohspyro89 said, because its expensive doesn't mean its good.

Walnut is used a lot on guitars and is fine. If you want buy mahogany. Pine, even, theres nothing wrong with pine except that its a bit soft so unable to be used for necks. Go with your instincts