Hi, i have an Epiphone Les Paul which i recently stripped and completely rebuilt. I replaced the brdige pickup with a Seymour Duncan JB and am going to replace the neck with a '59 when i have the cash. I have noticed though, that my standard Epiphone neck pickup sustains a lot better than my Seymour Duncan in the bridge. Why could this be? Maybe not setup properly? Also my sustain in general is crap, most notes last like 3 - 5 seconds with gain on full. How can i achieve more sustain?
how close is the bridge pup to the strings ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I'd say around 4mm, my neck pickup is also further away than my bridge.
New strings wouldn't hurt.
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
Quote by tbsff_7
good luck with that! if the world have a nuclear war 3 things would survive; cockroaches, twinkies, and boss pedals
if i've just rebuilt my guitar i'm hardly gonna have old strings am i? =P
The pickups might be a little close to the strings. Too close affects your sustain, but too far affects your sensitivity (how much vibration the magnets will actually pick up). Generally, there's a sweet spot for the height. Try to fiddle around and see where peak of the sustain is.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
maybe the epi pickups are better for that..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Can someone list everything that affects sustain and what their optimum positions are please?
Lower your pickup height, raise your string height/action, make sure the stopbar has locked to it's posts correctly, and if you're still not getting an open string to sustain more than a few seconds, get a decent EQ and learn how to use that properly.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The neck pickup is at a point where the string vibration wave is longer so there will be more natural vibration at this point than at the bridge, where the wave is shorter and that also explains the difference in tone as well. As said above, pickup height will also change this due to magnetic pull on the strings. Quality hardware will also make a difference ie density of the material used for the bridge and tailpiece and tuners.
94 Epi LP. Thin 335 style neck Schaller locking tuners Dimarzio PAF PRO (bridge) Gibson 57 re-issue (neck)