Hello boys and girls!

I have a question, as you know...

How do you mic an amp? I mean I know you place an microphone made for mic-ing amps in front of the amp, but i need a detailed answer . Do amp mics come with a way to hook it to the amp?
Where do I place it on the amp (I know I shouldn't place it in the middle, but where exactly on the edge do I place it? Is it preference?)?
And what do i hook the other end of the mic to as in what do I use to mic the amp?

I really need to know, as the amp I'm getting will need it. And I can't exactly get a louder amp with the same tone, because I don't have $2,000.

And, one more question. If I have a 1X12 cab with one 60watt speaker, then it will handle 60 watts, correct? And if I have a 2X12 cab with 2 60watt speakers, is it a 120watt cab???

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by SaintsofNowhere at Jan 18, 2009,
To mic an amp, just place the mic close to the amp, so the mic picks up the sound coming from the amp. You can move it around some for different sounds, most commonly right in front of the center of the speaker cone, or a little to the left or right of the cone. You would hook the mic into a mixer/PA, so you can have the amp going thru your monitors and PA system.
As for the cab question, I think your right about 2 60w wired together being 120w, but im not 100% sure. It might just be the Ohms im thinking of, but I think it also matters how the speakers are wired together.
http://www.imperialmastering.com/guitartonevid/
This is primarily for getting a good metal sound, but it has great tips on micing for all purposes too. But yeah, you just use a mic stand with the mic on it and point it at one of the speakers, it's not like drum mics (which really DO clip onto the drums).
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Why would you need to buy a PA system?
If you're gigging, pretty much every venue you play at will have a huge PA system already
that you're gonna be using.
what amp are you getting and why would you spend $350 on a PA system when you could put it towards an amp that could theoretically be better than the one your getting.

As far as mic'ing goes try and place it in front of one of the speakers and tweak until you get the sound your looking for.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
^I would want to spend $350 more because the next amp i would get would cost about $1600 with cab and all. So I would rather spend $950 for a head, cab, and PA.

But thanks to the guy above who said that the venues will have it, thanks I guess I'll wait until I actually need one to buy it then .

What about having your nice amp at home for practice and recording, and just use a P.A. and modeling amp when your gigging.

As far as I'm concerned the fewer mics on stage the better - less to worry about for feedback, phase cancellation, less gear to carry.

A modeling amp just plugs in and goes.

Just my thoughts.
Quote by Ty Quinn
What about having your nice amp at home for practice and recording, and just use a P.A. and modeling amp when your gigging.

As far as I'm concerned the fewer mics on stage the better - less to worry about for feedback, phase cancellation, less gear to carry.

A modeling amp just plugs in and goes.

Just my thoughts.

yes, this exactly, from what i hear the line 6 spider 3 is great [/sarcasm]

why would you stop=op down to using a modelling amp if you already have a great sound amp, maybe even all tube