NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BAND IN FLAMES, JUST HAPPENED TO GET THE SAME NAME

well, I got 'the flow' today, and i'd like what you think of it
This also is the first piece i've written that I actually can play the drums also

I'd say this is be a bit mudvayne-y, bit just a wee bit.

if anyone could help me categorize this to a subgenre of metal i'd be grateful

Will gladly C4C if you want to
Attachments:
In flames.zip
You like it
Last edited by linus.d at Jan 18, 2009,
Quite a few problems with this song. In the intro solo a lot of the notes ring into each other and it sounds bad. The notes in the acoustic intro riff were too close together, meaning that over the guitar solo, it was hard to distinguish a pattern or idea. The sustained notes in the verse last waaaayyyy too long, the verse is just begging for more chord changes.

Overall most of the guitar work was incredibly bland and uninspired, save for the Mellanspel section. This section was my favorite part, but you completely ruined it. Take out the 3rd and 4th bar of this section and continue the idea from the start of the section. The chord change is wrong and the drums are way out of place.

Many parts of this song are nowhere near good enough to repeat more than once. It also appears(and sounds) that you switch to 3/4 just to show us you can. Please don't. This song would be better in straight 4/4(see bar 104 for an example).

The song does have some strengths though you obviously have talent for writing a vocal melody and drums. Vocal melody was great all the way through.

It seems to me like this song is very "open" and vocal oriented, but you better have one hell of a vocalist to make up for the songs other faults.

And come on, you cant come up with another name? sheesh
Quote by The Grem
Quite a few problems with this song. In the intro solo a lot of the notes ring into each other and it sounds bad. The notes in the acoustic intro riff were too close together, meaning that over the guitar solo, it was hard to distinguish a pattern or idea. The sustained notes in the verse last waaaayyyy too long, the verse is just begging for more chord changes.

Overall most of the guitar work was incredibly bland and uninspired, save for the Mellanspel section. This section was my favorite part, but you completely ruined it. Take out the 3rd and 4th bar of this section and continue the idea from the start of the section. The chord change is wrong and the drums are way out of place.

Many parts of this song are nowhere near good enough to repeat more than once. It also appears(and sounds) that you switch to 3/4 just to show us you can. Please don't. This song would be better in straight 4/4(see bar 104 for an example).

The song does have some strengths though you obviously have talent for writing a vocal melody and drums. Vocal melody was great all the way through.

It seems to me like this song is very "open" and vocal oriented, but you better have one hell of a vocalist to make up for the songs other faults.

And come on, you cant come up with another name? sheesh

okay, I dont want to sound like a little kid who can't take crits, but you do annoy me.

First of all, keep in mind this is a guitar pro file, not real the real audio that I play. Granted, some of the rings in the beginning sounds a wee crap with GP sound.

As for the verses, I made the F#'s long because there's already a lot of dynamics and movement in the drums and vocals and I think it doesn't need more in the verses.

As for the interlude ("mellanspel"), that's my taste of music and my idea of what should happen.
And could you really say a chord change is wrong? could you send me the answer key for the correct one? I'd like to see it.

I DON'T change between 4/4 and 3/4 "to show you I can".
I do it because that's how I play my parts. I'm not sitting and thinking "hmm, this would be a good place to throw in a 3/4 part", those time changes are made before I think of it. they come natural to me, and thus, it sounds right to me.

In my opinion straight 4/4 is utterly boring unless it's played really well.
It's just a matter to what you're used to listen to.
If you listen to radio pop I can understand a 3/4 3/4 4/4 4/4 pattern sounds strange, but once you're used to it there's nothing strange, it's a quite easy pattern actually.

as for bar 104, it adds a "hey, what was that?" to the listener. Often it's positive as the want to hear it again and investigate it further.
Also, it adds spice to the song.

I must thank you for the comment on the vocals and drums
It's the first time I've taken the time to actually write down the vocals, and I noticed it's good because you can hear how it'll work with the song even if you don't have the lyrics done yet.

As for the drums, I'm proud

Once again, I don not want to sound like a baby who can't take criticisms but but I didn't like your tone in the post.

Quote by Hypetreme
The intro was pretty messy and I couldn't create any image of it to myself. The song has very relaxing feeling. It maybe sounds Katatonia a little. C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1049867

I'll do it as fast as i can
You like it
At first the intro sounded weird, but after the solo kicked in I actually liked it. I didnt really look to see if you used two guitars for the solo, but it sounded like it, and i actually thought it was pretty cool. The whole thing gives me a weird progressive rock/metal feeling, i have nothin really bad to say.
I agree with a lot of the things The Grem said. Guitar work was overall very bland and uninteresting. You pretty much just go from a F# powerchord to an E throughout the entire song. And the 3/4 parts (not the beginning) seemed quite out of place and random for this kind of music, and I don't mean that in a good way. This seems like kinda mainstream radio type music, and the 3/4 parts make the song a bit more complicated than it has to be. Drums were good. Vocal melody was alright, very mudvayne-like. Would do a lot better in straight 4/4 though.

What would help this song very much is if you spice up the guitar work. Make it into a riff instead of just pumping powerchords!

Maybe add a few parts to the song that don't follow the same chord progressions as all the other parts. You've got to change it up to keep it interesting.

Not sure if I'd call this metal at all. Seriously, the mellanspel makes this song lose what little metal-feel it had. Sounds more like heavy dansband.
So, let´s start:

Intro was nice, althoug it was a bit hard to follow, I can see what the others mean about the "bland" part.
The Intro solo seemed more like a melody line to me, I´m not a big fan of it, tho. You sometimes end phrases up on notes that don´t sound good with the rhytmic background, such as bar 15. The 4/4 change doesn´t help to compensate that feeling there, either.

Note ringing out, I could imagine this with some feedback from the amp. The drum intro is allright, but the verse drum kciks it out of it´s "feel" you builded up.
To the guitar part, I see where the others come with "uninspired".

And I see that they have a point, It´s just uninspired. Just because you have dynamic drums and vocals, doesn´t mean they will compensate the bland guitar. Each factor of the song is important, and good factors won´t make up for bad factors.

The 4/4 bar seems to make this piece more complicated, but I personally think it kills the flow a bit. Also, why does your bass suffer from the root note syndrome? That´s a sad disease I hate to see. I´d recommend to add at least 1 more chord to the verse, The F# just gets boring.

The interlude to the Refrain is allright, but then I see a problem with the refrain. The refrain should be climatic, but 8 bars of E aren´t climatic. The whole thing sounds kind of empty to me, Maybe it´s because of just powerchords, or the lack of other instruments. Nothing new about verse 2 and the next interlude.

The mellanspiel seemed like the best part of the song to me, but please change the drums in bar 85 and 86. You aren´t going to play some polka, or are you? nothing new in Verse 4, other than that the doublebass use seems to annoy me a bit, it sounds pretty clichee.

Refrain & outro, no big changes other than drum fills in the outro, but nice ending.

Overall, this song has good ideas. But you killed then in how you made them out. A song with mainly 2 chrods could work, but here it doesn´t. So, please, for the love of god, spice the song a bit up next time. And keep in mind there are other things than power chords

See I´m pointing only the bad factors out there, I bet you know where the sections are where you really shine .
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com