What setting should we use to get a really solid band, if you listen to AC/DC (particularily in the early 80's) listen how loud and solid they sound, now my band is really tight but how do we sound that powerfull? My amp is a Marshall Valvestate S80 and I use an Epiphone Dot, Tom uses a epiphone Black beauty and a Marshall something or other.
A: Tube amplifiers
B: Good Musical connection and chemistry
C: They practice alot and get thier sound really locked in.

Id recommend you guys grab some good amplifiers and go from there . Try some Peavey Classic 30s
1. Practice! Practice! Practice! (I cannot stress that enough!)

2. An amazingly solid drummer. If you dont have a good drummer your sound is going to fall apart.
Guitar: Fender Standard Tele

Amp: Marshall JCM900 4100

Pedals: Boss DS-1, Dunlop Crybaby, Dancelectro CC-1, Ibanez LU-20
You guys have to play together alot. Really feel each other out, learn each other's little habits and ticks. A solid drummer is also very important. You HAVE to have solid drummer. They hold the whole band together.
Quote by GITARdud391
You guys have to play together alot. Really feel each other out, learn each other's little habits and ticks. A solid drummer is also very important. You HAVE to have solid drummer. They hold the whole band together.

hahahahahahaha....

But yeah, don't just play with yourself, you and your band won't get enough practice to be solid together.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
I play a peavy classic 30 with 2 12" speakers, then i run a separate marshall 4x12 off of it. it rips.
Make sure that everyone can play well. One person that's not quite as good can kill your sound.

Then, practice a lot and when learning covers, learn everything how its actually played and try to match the tone as best you can.
Loud and solid? Easy.

1. Top shelf gear, properly maintained and set up.
2. Excellent sound man.
3. Well rehearsed band with great songs.
Definitely practice. Don't just run through your songs. Dissect them. Spend 2 hours working on that 5 second transition you guys think sounds a "bit" off or work on vocal harmonies. For me, bands that spend time on writing spot on harmonies that are executed perfectly live are a defining characteristic of a solid band.

Don't just plug in and play, strive to find a distinct tone for each band member and invest in better than decent equipment to do this. For drummers, this could mean getting different drum heads, for guitarists, mess with amp setting or pedal settings and get feedback from the other members.

Don't be afraid to critique. Often times singers get by the easiest because the common attitude is "well i can't do it any better". If it doesnt sound right, put him in his place.

A solid drum and bass pocket is a huge part of having a solid sounding band.
i agree, i just upgraded from a fender fm65r, to a fender hot rod deluxe. a friend/fan who always comes to see us said he could hear from the parking lot we had a more powerful sound and that i got a better amp and how much better it sounded. i could tell, i thought it sounded better, but i didnt expect someone to notice the way he did. the bass amp is another HUGE thing that needs to be good. a tight punching sound really drives your music. we use a crappy beringer 90w SS most the time. its crap. the speaker farts constantly, expecially since our bass player plays a bit of slap/funk bass.

damn this thread made me realize how much we need a better bass, bass amp, and guitar amp for the other guitarist.