ok, well technically its not new today as i opened the box yesterday. couldnt be arsed to take pics and record clips last night though, so you all get the news today the guitar is a michael kelley duece phoenix. its a semi-hollow body guitar with an es-335 shape and one hell of a nice finish. flame inlay runs down the fretboard to go with the pheonix moniker, as well as a nice amber color and gold hardware.

well, theres a long story behind this guitar, but i will satisfy your curiosity for pictures first. heres the main guitar picture:

ok, so now lets start the story. i ordered this guitar around 6 months ago from geartree. in fact, i ordered it in the last few days of june, so its been closer to 6 1/2 months. get an email 2 days later saying its temporarily out of stock but they should have it in the first week of august. thats cool with me, ill have it before i go back to school which is the real important thing.

and now we take a break for the next picture.

ok, so then in the first week of august, i give the geartree a call to see whats up with the guitar. they didnt charge my credit card, so i knew it hadnt shipped yet and such. guy on the phone isnt really helpful and is obviously trying to get rid of me quickly. tells me the guitar is a bit late, but i should have it in 2 weeks, 3 max. we later find out how much of an idiot he is, but we need another picture first.

so in 2 or 3 weeks i call because i am heading back to school and want to know where the guitar is. i ask them to change the shipping adress to my school appartment because im obviously not getting it before i leave. i then also ask the guy where the guitar is. now this guy was helpful (i think his name was adam). he calls up their MK rep to see whats happening, because MK is shipping the guitar directly to me and geartree isnt ever going to see anything other than my money. finds out the new factory had some quality control issues, so the first batch of guitars sucked ass. so MK didnt ship them out because they didnt want to sent out guitars that werent worth their name on the heastock. the factory had to start over on production, so i was going to get the guitar in early january. im not too happy, but i want this guitar. because the inlay is freaking awesome, as you can see in our next picture:

so i call up geartree a week and a half ago to see where the guitar is and how soon im going to get my hands on it. once again i talk to adam, and once again he comes through for me with a call to the MK rep. he comes back on the phone after around 5 minutes and tells me that MK has made 4 deuce phoenixs, and they get one. and of course, that one goes to me. in other words, ive got 25% of the new batch sitting next to me he tells me that MK will ship them the guitar and they should get it last week sometime. then they would turn around and ship it to me at my school appartment the next day or so. so im going to get the guitar sometime next week. obviously that didnt happen since the guitar is already here, but im not complaining.

the last picture for you all:

now for the review. the pictures dont do the color justice. it is freaking beautiful with its tiger's eye color and gentle burst. im not usually a fan of gold hardware, but it suits this guitar perfectly. grover tuners and a nice adjustable TOM style bridge round out the hardware. i do have a couple minor complaints about the finish. the insides of the F-holes are a bit poorly done. parts of the inside has finish on it, while other parts are just painted wood. not a big deal, but they should have been a bit more careful with the details. the binding on the neck is also a bit wierd. i can feel the edge where it meets the neck, and its a bit awkward. its not as flush as i would like it to be, but it really hasnt bothered me while playing. the other issue is that its very neck heavy. obviously to be expected from a hollow guitar, but i feel like better strap button placement would have helped. ill be grabbing a leather/suede strap for this in the near future to help with that.

now for the sound. it sounds great both unplugged, and amplified. the action was set nicely from the factory. all i had to do was tune it up (the lower strings were about a half step flat) and go. plays extremely nicely, my room mate and i are both very impressed with it (he has a hybrid special). the bridge pickup sounds best with the tone rolled off a bit because its a bit jangly (with the new strings probably contributing to that). i usually roll my tone knobs back a bit anyway, so that works well for me. neck pickup is very smooth and sounds great for chords. the two pickups in combination sound very nice and full, and thats probably where ill be spending most of my time.

ok, there is a clip up on my profile, its the cover of shinedown's 45. the playing isnt anything special as i was more focused on the recording. did it in one take, so there are a couple mistakes. im still getting used to the guitar, which means its not as smooth as usuall. throw in the fact that i havent been playing as much as i would like for the past month, and im a bit sloppy. the idea is more to get the idea of the sound though, so dont be harsh on the playing

for those of us who like this kinda thing, heres the whole recording setup. starts with the guitar running to a keeley modded tubescreamer. its off and true bypass, but i feel like it needs to be mentioned that its in the chain. next goes to my blackheart little giant head, volume about 1/4. thats running into my crate V212B, which is just a crate 212. mic is about 4 feet away, about 8 inches from the ground. straight in front of the amp, equidistant from both speakers. the mic is a mxl 990. thats running into my pv6 mixer, where i am monitering everything with headphones that are older than most people on this site (myself included), but they still are awesome. the output from there is run to a griffin i-mic, which is basicly a USB soundcard. not fantastic quality, but better than what ive got on-board. recorded with audacity since its just a single track. i feel its worth mentioning that this is also the first clip ive made of both the blackheart head and the crate cab.

so yeah, thats it. any questions, feel free to ask. im obviously still in the honeymoon period, but i tried to give as un-biased a review as is possible under the circumstances.
looks pretty sweet
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
very nice. never been able to try any of those michael kellies, unfortunately. i think recently a few dealers have appeared here in the UK, but they haven't got to northern ireland yet.

i hate it when you order stuff and it takes ages to arrive- i had a bad experience myself a few years ago and decided never to do it again. if a shop doesn't have something i want in stock, i'll find a shop which does. or else wait until someone gets it in stock again, in case i change my mind in the meantime...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thats one hell of a guitar. she looks sweet. congrats.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
wooh, nice guitar. michael kelly guitars are amazing eh? i have the valor custom
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
^ i kinda agree about the inlay. its a bit OTT, but it looks better in person than in the pics. its more pearloid and has color-shiftiness, instead of looking just white. it makes it hard to tell what fret you are on and is a bit much, but i figure ill get used to it.

Quote by Dave_Mc
i hate it when you order stuff and it takes ages to arrive- i had a bad experience myself a few years ago and decided never to do it again. if a shop doesn't have something i want in stock, i'll find a shop which does. or else wait until someone gets it in stock again, in case i change my mind in the meantime...

ive been getting screwed over when i order guitar stuff online these days, everything takes at least a month and a half to arrive. the problem becomes that the stores near me never stock anything i want. only one store actually has a decent selection, which makes it hard to go somewhere else. i do change my mind all the time though, which is one of the reasons when i decide on something i just have to buy it. went through like 5 other semi-hollow decisions before i actually bought this. it was like every few times i played/researched guitars, my choice would change. at that point, i never would have gotten anything. so i just picked one, and could be happier

if you can find a MK in a shop though, definatly try one. they play really nice and most of them have interesting finishes so they look great too.
Very nice guitar jof, it's beautiful.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Looks great, have fun with it
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
It's a beautiful guitar, but with the flame inlays, you'd expect to also find that every knob goes to eleven
Quote by jof1029

ive been getting screwed over when i order guitar stuff online these days, everything takes at least a month and a half to arrive. the problem becomes that the stores near me never stock anything i want. only one store actually has a decent selection, which makes it hard to go somewhere else. i do change my mind all the time though, which is one of the reasons when i decide on something i just have to buy it. went through like 5 other semi-hollow decisions before i actually bought this. it was like every few times i played/researched guitars, my choice would change. at that point, i never would have gotten anything. so i just picked one, and could be happier

if you can find a MK in a shop though, definatly try one. they play really nice and most of them have interesting finishes so they look great too.

yeah, i'm going to try one if i see it.

i know what you mean about local stores not having what you want, don't websites normally tell you when they have stuff in stock, though? that's what i'd do, just order stuff which i knew was in stock.

i'm really indecisive too... i must be a bit like you, i research stuff to death, then just get pissed off and order anything
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
cool story bro
Guitars:
Fender stratocaster california series (usa)
Gibson Les Paul classic (1960)
Amps:
ENGL Fireball 60W - Framus FR 2x12 Celestion v30's
Pedals: POD x3 LIVE, BOSS OD-1
GAS: Pedals
That's absolutely beautiful !! Seriously, that's one of the prettiest hollowbody guitars I've seen just don't like that much about the inlays, I prefer dots, but if you like them, that's great !

Congrats on a great guitar !