So I'm getting a new electric, I already have a guitar for cleans and less distorted stuff (T-60), and I need something more suited for heavily distorted and a more solid tone. I've been leaning towards Schecter or PRS, which company should I go with and which guitar? My price range is around 1,500 USD, thats the max, i would like to keep it around 1000 if possible though.
Quote by shredmeiser101
I tried BAGDAD tuning once, it actually was quite alright.

Quote by Meths
Do you have to actively try to spell words that wrong or does it come naturally to you?

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

I invented this literary device I call sarcasm, that was an example of it.
do you live in the SoCal area?

And honestly its all up to you.

When it comes to guitars everyones hands are different.

they way they feel them are perceived differently.

The best way to know is if you personally go out and try out the guitars.

You wont find an answer hear other than the one i just gave you.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Jan 18, 2009,
You kidding? I could see "should I go with carvin or PRS" but a 1500 guitar vs a 600? I love schecter, but the two don't compare.
Quote by rawk1277
You kidding? I could see "should I go with carvin or PRS" but a 1500 guitar vs a 600? I love schecter, but the two don't compare.

Both are quality brands, but PRS has far higher price range guitars under their belt.

Since you are looking at heavily distored tones, I would personally go with a Schecter ATX for blackouts or Hellraiser for EMGs. This would leave you about 500 bucks to spare though, don't know if PRS makes guitars suited for heavy music.

I'm not all that familiar with PRS for heavy music...
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
Both are quality brands, but PRS has far higher price range guitars under their belt.

Since you are looking at heavily distored tones, I would personally go with a Schecter ATX for blackouts or Hellraiser for EMGs. This would leave you about 500 bucks to spare though, don't know if PRS makes guitars suited for heavy music.

opeth...
Guitars:
Jackson JS30KE Kelly
Jackson RRX10D
Fender Telecaster American Standard
Epiphone Acoustic
Amps:
Vox DA15
Marshall G80RCD
Pedals:
Boss GT-6
Boss MT-2
Quote by Mark G

They are quite capable.
PRS. Dont join the schecter bandwagon. they look so crappy with the "diamond series" logo on the headstock.

mike einziger from incubus used a PRS on the first 3 or 4 records, so they are definitely capable.
yeah, i'm not going super death metal heavy, but like some of the heavier foo fighters stuff, incubus, alter bridge heavier stuff.
Quote by shredmeiser101

Quote by Meths
Do you have to actively try to spell words that wrong or does it come naturally to you?

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

i prefer prs guitars myself. in fact, i have one of the se models. mine is great, and the high end models ive played are even better. unfortunaty, it seems like MF doesnt have anything in the $1-1.5k range. the only one you could get new in a $1.5-2k range is a Mira, which doesnt strike me as a heavy music type of guitar. there are a bunch of prs guitar in the $1.5-2k range on ebay though. there are lots of other companies out there though, so i wouldnt limit yourself to just those 2 brands.
Quote by RHCPFitz
PRS. Dont join the schecter bandwagon. they look so crappy with the "diamond series" logo on the headstock.

mike einziger from incubus used a PRS on the first 3 or 4 records, so they are definitely capable.

hipocrit
and for metal, i'd get the esp ltd mh-1000
its 1 grand
like i said do you live in the SoCal area.

If you do check out Carvin Corporation.

If not still check them out im pretty sure they ship anywhere in the US.
Quote by GU1T4R-H3R0
yeah, i'm not going super death metal heavy, but like some of the heavier foo fighters stuff, incubus, alter bridge heavier stuff.

Thats not heavy, lol. Go with a PRS.
WTLTL 2011
nope dont live in socal, i wish, negative temperatures on the east coast suck.
Quote by shredmeiser101

Quote by Meths

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

Quote by Mark G
Thats not heavy, lol. Go with a PRS.

lol, sorry for misleading then, I'm more into the heavier alternative stuff and not the metal, as far as playing it. I listen to heavier bands like children of bodom, black dahlia murder, death. But I rarely play stuff that heavy, heaviest I go as far as playing would be some metallica or megadeth licks.
Quote by shredmeiser101

Quote by Meths

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

Quote by -Blue-
Wait, east coast? do you perchance live in the central NC area? If you do there's been a recent cragslist posting you'd be interested in.

nope new england, i'll check craigslist in my airea though, thanks for the idea.
Quote by shredmeiser101

Quote by Meths

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

PRS. Mark Tremonti uses one Albeit a REAL one, not the SE series that you'd probably be buying from.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I tried some PRS guitars, from the SE to more expensive, $1500+ guitars. I must say i didn't like ANY of them. The schecter c-1 classic would be great. They are awesome guitars. Neck-thru w/ seymour duncan pickups and they feel really nice. Try out both though. You may like PRS more than schecter, but i really don't. It's all preference.
yeah i guess i'll just have to go to the store, my local store has a very limited selection of PRS's though, i think they have 2 in the whole store, so i have to go 2 hours away to try em out. Just trying to get some imput before i go all that way out.
Quote by shredmeiser101

Quote by Meths

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

Quote by GU1T4R-H3R0

mark tremonti not only uses PRS he, of course, has a signature PRS. myles kennedy also uses PRS (that I know of, he uses sc245, mccarty, and modern eagle), so you'll definitely be good were AB is concerned.
if you want to use the upper frets like 16 and up, dont bother with the PRS unless you want to wrap your thumb around a FRIGGIN HUGE PIECE OF A NECK JOINT!
Well Enough Alone
I have a PRS. An SE even, and it is a great guitar. I get heavy metal with it easily, and my guitar NEVER goes out of tune. I have a tuner pedal but i rarely get to use it because i play really rough with it but the strings don't budge. If you can buy a used PRS custom 24 or something you will be UNBELIEVABLY happy.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
id go schecter.. prs are nice though, but why spend that much when you can get something great for $750ish? save for an amazing amp...

p.s ive played both and im not saying prs are bad. save a ton of money if you go schecter.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
schecter Damian 6 string
Jackson Dinky Dk2
Peavey 6505+
B-52 At212
PRS, step by step.
1. Buy PRS.
2. Admire PRS.
3. Play PRS.
4. Post pictures of PRS.

But seriously, a PRS can basically do anything with a beautiful finish and great quality to boot. Or you could invest in a Carvin CT6.
two different animals, and two different prices. If you only want to spend 8 or 900 then a Schecter, since PRS isn't even in that price range. If you're looking at putting down 2-3 grand (or less) then yeah PRS's are good. I will say, i think you can get much better guitars for the price of a PRS...but they are great for what you'd use.
Schecter C-1 Plus, Blackjack or Classic. I wouldn't go for a PRS unless it was an American one. SEs aren't bad, but they're nowhere near an american PRS in quality and tone.
I forgot to mention I wasn't talking about the SE series. I dont think there very good for the price range.
Quote by RHCPFitz

**** you. I hate the BOLDED "DIAMOND SERIES" blazing across the headstock, but mine isn't like that.

TS- Honestly, Schecter is a quality brand. If you have the cash, though, I'd probably say go for a PRS. Just remember, Schecter is capable.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Which two models are you looking at?

For Schecter, I would get the C-1 hellraiser.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by RHCPFitz

Wow, I'm glad im not the only one that only buys a guitar based on what the logo on the headstock looks like. Come on man,

But like everyone is saying. There two different animals. if you're looking for a guitar >1000$ then you'll want a Schecter, if you're looking for a guitar that's 2-3 grand, then you'll want a PRS. You have the right idea tho for looking for a hard rock guitar. Also, check out ESP if your thinking Schecter, and some brands like Baker, Centuron if your thinking PRS.
Last edited by Lancelundy at Jan 19, 2009,
Quote by RHCPFitz

Just thought i'd point out that the PRS logos seem to be a good deal larger... And honestly, who stares at the headstock while they play? The logo on schecter's headstocks is maybe as big as Gibson's. If that bugs you then you need to sort your stuff out. Especially if it bugs you to the point where you tell people not to buy the brand because of their headstock logo.
The Mira's probably the only thing close to your budget. Unless you're going used.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Paul-Reed-Smith-Mira-Double-Cut-Electric-Guitar-with-Moon-Inlays-and-Wide-Thin-Neck-518894-i1396037.gc

New England's a pretty large region, dunno where to start o_o

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
get the schecter man with some modding the c1 can be a prs beater in many respects. Schecter..great value..PRS not so great.
The new schecter blackjack with blackouts looks phenominal value.
theres no comparison at all, a PRS will be the way to go

go second hand and get a custom 22/24, a more versatile guitar capable of a wide variety of styles and more suited to the bands youre talking about
PRS Custom 22
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Road Worn Telecaster
Fairclough Sky Accoustic

Laney VC15-110
Roland MicroCube
Damn! that's a hard one. I own both, so I would say go with the PRS for the heavier alternative. I would also suggest looking through some pawn shops or ebay for an SE model. You might spend about 300-400 dollars.
prs are amazing guitars could play anything thing on them
but if u wanna get a shredding machine get the top of line schecter
smacking bone kydd