Ok, so alot of people on UG give a ridiculous amount of respect to alot of players and bands that people consider "Underrated" or Obscure... so why is that? why do you think that ug members, and guitar players in general, are like some other species, we love all this music no one else does? because that's what you're saying when you say "underground" or "obscure" is that not alot of people listen to them. good examples are marty friedman, Paul Gilbert, joe satriani, you name it and if it's a big known guy on UG he's most likely relatively unknown... so why?? what are your thoughts??

P.S.
i'd like to challenge you to see what other people don't like about this music, and in that sense stop you from making the mistakes they made that make them UNDERRATED, UNDEGROUND and OBSCURE...
Because musicians tend to listen to different music than normal people. Normal people don't really need musical talent, which is why they usually listen to pop like Rihanna. Musicians like the people here on UG listen to people that are more talented, musically. And because those people are musically talented, normal people can't really comprehend the meaning and soul put into the music. And because most people aren't musicians, most people don't listen to people with musical talent, which makes them underrated, underground, and obscure.
Quote by Limons
Because musicians tend to listen to different music than normal people. Normal people don't really need musical talent, which is why they usually listen to pop like Rihanna. Musicians like the people here on UG listen to people that are more talented, musically. And because those people are musically talented, normal people can't really comprehend the meaning and soul put into the music. And because most people aren't musicians, most people don't listen to people with musical talent, which makes them underrated, underground, and obscure.

Yeah, Limons pretty much summed the whole thing up.

Being musicians, we can't help but listen to "obscure" artists.
Also (I'm not sure if it's just me) I can't stand the stupid Soulja Boy. That "Yooh!" thing really annoyed me.

And most of those artists are just one hit wonders anyway .
Quote by Aznargo

And most of those artists are just one hit wonders anyway .

One could say something similar about Dream Theater.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
It's not that the music they listen to is better or worse then us, because that's all subjective. It's simply because other people aren't as interested in music as us, so they're not willing to take the time to search for it like we are.
Those artists that you listed are far from obscure.

IMO, it's not about UG listening to less well known music as much as it's just UG listening to artists geared more towards musicians, rather than a more general audience.
Okay. Some guitar players like me sort of suck, despite having had a recording studio of mine for a while. You know, a dilletante, but I dig original sounds that make your hair stand up or make you want to shout or pound the floor. Examples, in case anyone is interested, most of the early work of Gentle Giant, the live UK, Nick Cave and Birthday Party, Al DiMeola's ridiculous histrionics that make your jaw drop, Mahavishnu. Sometimes it's not an obscure band, but a track from a well-known band, like Genesis's album "Selling England by the Pound," with guitar work throughout that feels good to me every time and completely unduplicable. "Broken Hallelujia" which mostly has only lyrics going for it. Riffs by Yngwe Malmsteen. I mean, sometimes it's the obscure within the popular that makes me love music. Even a normally mediocre Phil Manzanera who blows your mind on "Grey Lagoons." It's endless. Yeah, ordinary iPod listeners don't get it, but it's up to you guitar gods out there to make it happen...for yourselves, for me, for other people who love the music behind the music. I can't do it, but I need it.