Page 1 of 2
Ok, so alot of people on UG give a ridiculous amount of respect to alot of players and bands that people consider "Underrated" or Obscure... so why is that? why do you think that ug members, and guitar players in general, are like some other species, we love all this music no one else does? because that's what you're saying when you say "underground" or "obscure" is that not alot of people listen to them. good examples are marty friedman, Paul Gilbert, joe satriani, you name it and if it's a big known guy on UG he's most likely relatively unknown... so why?? why do we like them and what keeps them back from big time fame?? what are your thoughts??

P.S.
i'd like to challenge you to see what other people don't like about this music, and in that sense stop you from making the mistakes they made that make them UNDERRATED, UNDEGROUND and OBSCURE...
Last edited by JesterShred at Jan 18, 2009,
because they don't know how to appreciate music and what do you mean with big time fame? to be known and "overrated"by everyone?
The term"underground music" i usually use it for music(sometimes big bands) that hasn't sold out
ok, but tool hasn't sold out, and they're huge... i know tons and tons of musicians, you go up to any dude on the street and ask him who paul gilbert, or necrophagist, or half the guys we discuss on here and i guarantee you there's a 75% chance that he'll have no idea who you're talking about...
maybe not underground, but joe satriani has himself said he's obscure... so has paul gilbert
Satch isn't underground. He had a few grammy nominations.

And probably because they sound like nothing Mtv will ever air, ever?
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
ok, but WHY... WHY do they sound different and WHY does no one like them??? stevie ray vaughn was amazing, and he didn't sound like anyone big at the time but he was a big star in his day, and everyone liked him, so why are all these new musicians obscure if they're so good? what AREN'T they giving people that people obviously want
...they aren't new.

Satch and Gilbert have had many albums out already. And Friedman was part of Megadeth.

But I can't answer your question. It probably involves what's mainstream today, the media, and, well maybe, MTV itself.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Last edited by SilverDark at Jan 18, 2009,
it doesn't matter whether they're old or new, the question stands. it doesn't even matter who they are, the question still stands, there are a million random obscure musicians out there we all listen to, and paul gilbert IS one of them no matter how much you people argue, no one has heard his name unless you're a guitar player and look for it. alot of people don't listen to rusty cooley, or Warren Demartini or John 5, turbonegro, Catamenia, name any obscure artist you like, there are tons of them.
To answer your original question- because many people on UG are giant metalheads who think that technical guitarists playing 5000 notes a second is awesome. Or that the more distortion a guitarist adds to their sound, the more br00tal they are. And since most people in the outside world don't enjoy that type of music, the 'obscure artists' get little recognition.

You're being a little pushy, aren't you? I've seen four good and valid answers so far, and you've rejected every single one of them.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
TS recently got Guitar Hero. End of story.

Take into account that "Jimi Page" is one of his favorite guitarists.

These so-called obscure artists are pushing the boundaries of music, something that mainstream labels want nothing a part of.
People here listen to the artists you've mentioned. Because they are guitarists. People here are guitarists. That's your unidentified link.
Not a huge fan of bees
Quote by one vision

These so-called obscure artists are pushing the boundaries of music, something that mainstream labels want nothing a part of.

is the ONLY good answer i've gotten so far, even if he insulted the page... and i've never played guitar hero...
Quote by MusicalMinority
To answer your original question- because many people on UG are giant metalheads who think that technical guitarists playing 5000 notes a second is awesome. Or that the more distortion a guitarist adds to their sound, the more br00tal they are. And since most people in the outside world don't enjoy that type of music, the 'obscure artists' get little recognition.

You're being a little pushy, aren't you? I've seen four good and valid answers so far, and you've rejected every single one of them.

Actually that's a good answer to. i'm not being pushy, i just don't want to hear morons debating over what's obscure and what's "underground" and all that bull****, i don't care, what i care about is this...

i think that the reason people on here like it is because it's guitar heavy, it's unbalanced music... that's why the world hates it. and i'm not just talking about metal, to me this is the fact-there is a difference between an artist and a musician. an artist can be a musician, but a musician is not necessarily an artist...
I think that very few people on here have any idea how to differentiate between the two...
Last edited by JesterShred at Jan 18, 2009,
Some people like to find obscure bands because then they can be elitists because they like bands that no body has heard of. It makes them feel special.

Or some people just listen to what they want, regardless of whether it's popular. Now stop double posting.
i like the guitar-work on Blondie albums?
i also thing that Tommy Victor was AMAZING with OLD Prong
nothing since the "purple" album. prove you wrong?
i don't like the Techno-Nu-metal Prong

also the first 3 Malevolent Creation albums if find to be the absolute best metal song writing and execution... pardon the pun
Last edited by sethp at Jan 18, 2009,
Quote by JesterShred
is the ONLY good answer i've gotten so far, even if he insulted the page... and i've never played guitar hero...

I didn't insult "The Page". He's one of my favorites also. I was talking about the fact that you spelled his name wrong. That's why I put it in quotations.

It's Jimmy.

"Jimi" is Hendrix.
You do realise "mainstream" music only applies to preteen kids?

Also, ultimate-guitar is filled with guitarists. As "guitarists" we admire people who can play the guitar, especially people who are good at the guitar. It just so happens no-one in mainstream music is actually all that good at guitar.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by JesterShred
to me this is the fact-there is a difference between an artist and a musician. an artist can be a musician, but a musician is not necessarily an artist...
I think that very few people on here have any idea how to differentiate between the two...

Define your notion of 'artist'.
Quote by chimneyfish
"death-metal is the best when its in the shape of a dildo and shoved in my ass"

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
Quote by spider666
Define your notion of 'artist'.
Someone who creates art.
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by Roast Beef
Meh, ask an obvious question get an obvious answer.
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by one vision

Sad yet true. The industry would be a better place if Guthrie Govan was everyone's favorite guitarist, not Jason Mraz
Quote by demonofthenight
Meh, ask an obvious question get an obvious answer.

I think the real question was "What is art?". But that was a first-class, grade A riposte you trucked there.
Quote by Roast Beef
I think the real question was "What is art?". But that was a first-class, grade A riposte you trucked there.

Art is the process or product of deliberately and creatively arranging elements in a way that appeals to the sense or emotions.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by one vision

+infinity^2
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by Alter-Bridge
Art is the process or product of deliberately and creatively arranging elements in a way that appeals to the sense or emotions.

Now the new question arises, what is considered creative.

If I write a 3 chord song then I'm creative?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
The artists you name as "obscure" are that because a disturbing percentage of the general public have poor music tastes. Worse still, a lot of them listen to bands because they're pretty or because everyone else is.

Too many people don't appreciate how easy it is to write a tune in a pentatonic scale, tap it out on a synthesizer and put it on a loop for 5 minutes. They're mindless zombies that want generic beats and generic tunes that they can jump up and down to in large numbers.
Practice. Play. Sleep. Repeat.

Quote by pearlJam_31490
i take it next your going to tell me that Cb is a note too!
Hmm it's already been said but i'll throw in my opinion.

Music on TV is run by big business. It's driven towards the goal of making money. In the UK The Crazy Frog had a number one hit - this is the reason i don't take notice of what's in the charts. Conversely if someones got a radio on and i hear a song i like, i'll probably favourite it on youtube, but i wouldn't buy their whole album. I don't care what's considered what, i care about the music sounding good to me.

In my collection i've got Greenday sitting next to Satch next to Opeth next to Labrat next to Yes, Ash, Pantera, The Futureheads.....people liking obscure for the sake of obscure are pretentious.
A big reson is because there are two kinds of record labels. Indie, and Major. Indie labels will let you keep your sound, but you won't get as much publicity. Major labels will change the way your music sounds so radoi listeners will like it. Also, the fact that everyone on this site is a guitarist, contributes to the fact that they like GUITARISTS like Paul Gilbert. I'm not saying he's not a musician, but he writes music around the guitar part and keeps the guitar part interesting. Alot of people (at least me) listen to that kind of stuff for inspiration, but also like bands that are more of "artists" in that they write music with singing and a catchy chorus in their free time
I hate my sig
Quote by one vision

F*ck Yeah!

http://rumblo.com/cc/comics/cc-gogolbordello.png
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Quote by Noathfx
http://www.purevolume.com/noathfx
excellent band out of rhode island.

Erm, no. GTFO of my state, and stop advertising your band.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
These artists may be obscure compared to Brittney Spears, but they are huge in the "guitar" world, and are recognized by musicians who may not even play guitar. It's "Music for Musicians". I'm not referring to metal only.

Mainstream music is aimed at the musically-illiterate audiance, which is the majority of the population, therefore making it "mainstream". True story.

That's not to say that it can't be enjoyed by musicians as well, however.
Last edited by one vision at Jan 19, 2009,
2 be quite honest, i love artists that everyone knows more than "underground" or "obscure" artist, sure i like my fair share of obscure artists, but big names like Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, The Strokes and the like i find are "better". Not in a technical sense, mind you, but "easier to listen to", if u know what i mean.

When you play something that everyone knows, I find that its more enjoyable cuz the people you are playing to are enjoying it much more too. And this is based oncountless local shows I've been to where bands play covers that either everyone knows, or only like 5 people know. Much more energy i find comes from stuff that everyone knows .

There, thats my opinion :P
who needs a slide...a wrench works just as well!!
I think a lot of it has to do with melody lines and catchiness as well as the majority of the public are musically illiterate.

For example, when I listen to a song like "Red Barchetta" by Rush, I consider it to be both a lyrical and musical masterpiece. It has elements of madrigalism that are brilliant and the song is a musical rollarcoaster for any musician listening. I can bet that any non-musician thinks that song is just "okay" and would rather hear something more simple. The general public are not musicians, they want things fed to them by a spoon both musically and lyrically. I want something more and take music way more seriously than the general public. Believe it or not, some people just don't care about music. Which is hard to imagine.

When you take a band like Rush, who is very musically talented, they branch off and go in other directions than the started pop jams we hear on the radio. (With key and time changes not noticable to people who are tone deaf. ) It's not as melodious or catchy most of the time. We musicians respect their different, exciting, and innovative sound. To the common listener, it's boring, bland, or they get turned off by Geddy's screechiness.

You can say the same things about the other artists in this thread.
Quote by acoustic_guy7
I think a lot of it has to do with melody lines and catchiness as well as the majority of the public are musically illiterate.

For example, when I listen to a song like "Red Barchetta" by Rush, I consider it to be both a lyrical and musical masterpiece. It has elements of madrigalism that are brilliant and the song is a musical rollarcoaster for any musician listening. I can bet that any non-musician thinks that song is just "okay" and would rather hear something more simple. The general public are not musicians, they want things fed to them by a spoon both musically and lyrically. I want something more and take music way more seriously than the general public. Believe it or not, some people just don't care about music. Which is hard to imagine.

When you take a band like Rush, who is very musically talented, they branch off and go in other directions than the started pop jams we hear on the radio. (With key and time changes not noticable to people who are tone deaf. ) It's not as melodious or catchy most of the time. We musicians respect their different, exciting, and innovative sound. To the common listener, it's boring, bland, or they get turned off by Geddy's screechiness.

You can say the same things about the other artists in this thread.

so very true
who needs a slide...a wrench works just as well!!
...because this is a website for guitar enthusiasts and they are talented guitarists. Fancy that.

It's kind of like going to a beer website and finding out about high-quality beer. It's the same for any website dedicated to a specific subject.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
yes, someone who creates art, not someone who goes in and does impressive things, or tries for anything other than that... art
Page 1 of 2