Ok, so I only have a good handful of Dream Theater's stuff on my iTunes and since it's always been a hobby of mine to even further expand my musical interests I was just wondering if there was one Dream Theater CD that I could buy which one would it be? Obviously I mean what is their best CD?

Thanks ^_^

- Justin
all of them
Guitars:
Jackson JS30KE Kelly
Jackson RRX10D
Fender Telecaster American Standard
Epiphone Acoustic
Amps:
Vox DA15
Marshall G80RCD
Pedals:
Boss GT-6
Boss MT-2
If you like metal, go for Train of Thought. If you're open to anything, get Scenes From a Memory.
Quote by angusfan16
I opened my eyes and found my mother standing next to me with my sheets in one hand and the other hand over her eyes. She said, "Why are you naked!" and i quickly tried to come up with an answer, but all i could get out was, "Feels good man."
I recommend Scenes From A Memory. It's a brilliant concept album and it has some of their best work on it. Runs the musical gamut from soft, beautiful music to crunching, very proggy metal. Excellent stuff.

Most of their albums are solid music, though. I also recommend Images and Words, Octavarium, and Systematic Chaos). Images and Words has a very slight 80s sound to it, Octavarium is mellow quite often, and Systematic Chaos is very heavy. I recommend those three next.
No way. Images and Words is the best album. Start to finish.
Go with that one.
all of their cds are completly different from each other, but each song on a cd is the same style as the others. it all depends on what your looking for. my personal favorites are Images and Words, Octavarium, and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (gotta love the 42-minute song).
Greatest Hit
Live at Budokan
Live Scenes From NY
Score

For studio albums:
Scenes From a Memory Pt. 2
Images and Words
Train of Thought (though I don't like much of it)

Interesting super long songs:
A Change of Season
Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
Octavarium

Suspended Animation (John Petrucci solo)
Liquid Tension Experiment (Side project)

And if you like older stuff, they covered alot of landmark albums in metal, prog, and rock in official bootlegs.

Welcome to the progressive side.

By the way, John Petrucci lives in my town and his twins go to my school.
You can't go wrong with Systematic Chaos as a start point followed by Train of Thought.
From latest high to all-time low
Last edited by jaysee at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by Empathica1928
I recommend Scenes From A Memory. It's a brilliant concept album and it has some of their best work on it. Runs the musical gamut from soft, beautiful music to crunching, very proggy metal. Excellent stuff.

Most of their albums are solid music, though. I also recommend Images and Words, Octavarium, and Systematic Chaos). Images and Words has a very slight 80s sound to it, Octavarium is mellow quite often, and Systematic Chaos is very heavy. I recommend those three next.

wow I don't think I've ever seen anyone recommend Octavarium as a starting album for new DT fans.

Personally, I would recommend Six Degrees or Scenes from a Memory.