I have a Squier Strat Affinity, but don't really care for the sound it produces. The sound is dull and poor. I was looking to upgrade to a better guitar, but I'm not exactly made of money here. This led me to the idea that I should just upgrade the pickups. I haven't looked much but came across these http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Custom-Shop-69-Strat-Pickup-Set?sku=301637

Would it even be worth it to upgrade the pickups in my Squier or should I just wait it out and see if I can get a little extra cash for a Fender or something? I play a lot of blues and classic rock. After reading the reviews on musiciansfriend for these pickups, they seem perfect. I would just like a little input on this seeing as I'm not exactly an expert on pickups.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Fender 15w amp
Dunlop Crybaby
You'd be much, much better off with a new amp

For $190 you can get a pretty decent amp
I would invest the money in another amp or if your set on pick up's i'd go for something like GFS pickups as those pickups are extremley expensive and imo not worth putting into a squier, although it may be a good guitar, but it just wouldnt make sense to spend all that money on them.

These pickups will save you quite abit ove money,
http://store.guitarfetish.com/nenopvipiset.html
they are still $84 for a set though, but they are noiseless.

Or you could buy these three pickups, they come seperate but it makes a complete set, they are rated slightly under the fender custom pickups but they will more than likely sound pretty much the same.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/sistpi.html
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
with the money youll spend on those pickups you could save up and get a better guitar but tht jus my opinon
I think you'd probably be happier getting a Fender or another guitar rather than upgrading your Squier. Its a lot more fun to get a new guitar.

That being said, you would get a much better sound out of another amp. Its silly to expect a huge difference in sound if you're going to be playing through that dinky little Fender amp. Anyone on here will tell you that the biggest part of your sound comes from the amp. Buy a better amp before you get another guitar.
Quote by Underjoggle
The hambucker is the revolutionary new pickup that removes unwanted ham from your output signal, and collects it on a croissant with melted cheese.

Quote by Eddie4President
Shoop unto others what you would have shooped unto you.
yea, i had planned on getting another amp... which is one reason I wouldn't have all that much for another guitar.

maybe i'll just save up for a fender and new amp... a whole new setup.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Fender 15w amp
Dunlop Crybaby
If you really like the feel of your squier, then Mod the **** out of it. If you don't like the feel of it, then upgrade to a new guitar. Either way, buy a new amp first
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Get an amp. Seriously.

I have the same guitar as you. I hated the tone until I got my Blackheart Little Giant. Now I love the guitar. Of course, I'll get an actual Fender eventually, but for now, my Squier will suit me just fine.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Wstornado9
I have a Squier Strat Affinity, but don't really care for the sound it produces. The sound is dull and poor. I was looking to upgrade to a better guitar, but I'm not exactly made of money here. This led me to the idea that I should just upgrade the pickups. I haven't looked much but came across these http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Custom-Shop-69-Strat-Pickup-Set?sku=301637

Would it even be worth it to upgrade the pickups in my Squier or should I just wait it out and see if I can get a little extra cash for a Fender or something? I play a lot of blues and classic rock. After reading the reviews on musiciansfriend for these pickups, they seem perfect. I would just like a little input on this seeing as I'm not exactly an expert on pickups.
Wow! Those PUs are sexy! Definitely worth the upgrade if your amp can do them justice. Otherwise, I'd go for something less expensive.

I've installed the Fender CS '57/'62 PUs on a Squier Affinity and through a Fender Hotrod, a Peavey JSX, a Hughes & Kettner TriAmp MK II, and a Mesa RoadKing, absolutely slayed!

If you're getting an amp upgrade with it, I say: Go for it!

If you're just looking to change the tone a bit, or experiment, while keeping the same SS amp, I'd try the GuitarFetish PUs. Lots of modders here have been quite happy, for the price: http://store.guitarfetish.com/pickups.html

Good Luck!

General rule of thumb is:
don't buy pickups that are more expensive than your guitar.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

^thats a bad rule of thumb. The most expensive electric guitar I have at the moment cost me 40 quid and it's got a 170 quid set of pickups in it and it sounds and plays better than a gibson.

Thread starter, New pickups will do a significant amount to help your tone. You are in a tough spot right now because your pickups are truely horrible and so is your amp. If you get a new amp your tone is still going to be thin and steril because of the pickups. If you get new pickups then your tone will be cold and harsh because of the amp. Typically I side with the people saying get a new amp but in your case pickups are probably the way to go. Or better yet, do both. Since you play blues get yourself something like a epi valve Jr and a set of GFS single coils. GFS doesn't make the best pickups in the world and it would just be a step in the right direction but it would still be a vast improvment over stock.
Not taking any online orders.
Buy a small/ cheap tube amp, it will improve your tone dramatically. You say you like blues and classic rock, well the small/ cheap amp for you is (like cord said) the valve junior. Then if you wanna play something a bit heavier the VJ shines with distortion

You should really buy a new amp before pickups and before a new guitar. If you buy a Fender, its not going to sound much better than your squire through that amp. Just a heads up