well im 16 and ive just started getting serious about guitar so i consider myself a beginner. Im left handed, i do most everything with my left hand (but right footed if that matters at all) anyway, i used to play around with guitar a long time ago like when i was 8 and i just tryed playing righty cus thats how i saw everybody doing it so thats how i thought i was "supposed" to do it. ive been still trying righty now but now im having doubts cus it seems that im making slow progress so im thinking... what if id be better playing lefty... i have no teachers and dont know anybody really experienced in guitar so im by myself here. any help would be appreciated, thanks.
If you left handed you should probably play with your left hand
go and try out a lefty guitar and see if you like it better
and it doesnt matter what foot you are unless you plan on playing with you foot
(\/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") ExtremeMetalFTW donated these ears
Notice something wrong? Yea, me too
| |
[ ]
either way, both your hands aren't anywhere strong enough for guitar, so changing hands wouldn't make a difference, especially if you think you have more dexterity in the left hand.
I'm a lefty as well, and I've played for four years as a righty, and all i have to say is that your hands are probably used to the type of play they're doing now, so it wouldn't be good to change it around and force them to do the other job (picking vs. fretting).
Due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off
Quote by Dwayne_S
well im 16 and ive just started getting serious about guitar so i consider myself a beginner. Im left handed, i do most everything with my left hand (but right footed if that matters at all) anyway, i used to play around with guitar a long time ago like when i was 8 and i just tryed playing righty cus thats how i saw everybody doing it so thats how i thought i was "supposed" to do it. ive been still trying righty now but now im having doubts cus it seems that im making slow progress so im thinking... what if id be better playing lefty... i have no teachers and dont know anybody really experienced in guitar so im by myself here. any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I'm left hander/right footer and my dad bought me my first guitar about 4 years ago(i didn't play it all that much then) and it was a right handed strat and to me right handed guitars are definately the go, but, If you're unsure then you should head down to a music store and try both and see what feels most comfortable.
Metal!!!/COLOR]<br><br>
Gear:
LTD M-200FM
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50.
Ibanez SZ720FM
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Boss GE-7
Zoom II Effects Pedal
I'm Left handed, through personal experience, i'd suggest trying to lug it out with right.. cos.. man, left handed guitars in comparison to right, are so rare, for right handed, there's just so much choice.. so much more guitarage.

I'd avoid left handed if you can, i've played half of my life now.. so it's a bit late
Quote by lordflaron
either way, both your hands aren't anywhere strong enough for guitar, so changing hands wouldn't make a difference, especially if you think you have more dexterity in the left hand.
I'm a lefty as well, and I've played for four years as a righty, and all i have to say is that your hands are probably used to the type of play they're doing now, so it wouldn't be good to change it around and force them to do the other job (picking vs. fretting).

...how would you know his hands arent strong enough for a guitar...?
Quote by grnday1236
...how would you know his hands arent strong enough for a guitar...?

If he's just started they won't be strong yet.
thanks alot guys.i think ill go try out a lefty guitar. a few mins ago i turned my guitar around just to see how the positions feels and it was strange... my left hand felt really right in that position and holding the pick, but my right kinda felt wierd in the fretting position. any explanation for that?
I'm right handed and just learning sometimes i wonder why you use you dominant hand to pick anyways seems to me like fretting is harder to learn than picking. That might be because I learned to pick with my dominant hand though.

I turned my guitar upside down and it felt really weird but would it have if I started that way?
I stay up all night practicing.

'http://grou ps.ultimate-guita r.com/latenightpr actice/'
Quote by Tobacco Stain
I'm right handed and just learning sometimes i wonder why you use you dominant hand to pick anyways seems to me like fretting is harder to learn than picking. That might be because I learned to pick with my dominant hand though.

I turned my guitar upside down and it felt really weird but would it have if I started that way?

yea, i wonder that same thing sometimes. but seems like im doing it backwards anyway (dominant=fretting, other=picking) so i dont know how its gonna turn out in the long run
I would just find witch one is most comfortable to me. Who knows you might learn both ways and the next Michelangelo Batio.
I stay up all night practicing.

'http://grou ps.ultimate-guita r.com/latenightpr actice/'
I'm a lefty for everything but I play righty. Don't think it matters much.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.