Is the distortion on the palomino v50 good enough for playing alternative/metal? Ive heard that the bad monkey pedal will bring out the distortion and make it better for the v50 or any tube amp for that matter?
I have a v32, on the distortion channel it just tightens it up. On the clean channel the change is way more noticable. Honestly IMO the amp doesnt really need pedals...or maybe thats just my playing style....idk. Enough of my rambling.

Short answer: yes
Get it!
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Hand Built(by me) guitar w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Digitech Hardwire Chromatic Tuner
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
play the amp first, then determine if it needs it or not.

or
Quote by Lynchworm
Get it!

take this guy's word and just get it before it runs out!
you will need one, or a boost of some sort
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by RHCPFitz
why in the world would you get a digital overdrive for a tube amp.

The Bad Monkey isn't digital. All it is a cheap TS9 clone with an added low end control.
Quote by RHCPFitz
why in the world would you get a digital overdrive for a tube amp.

The Bad Monkey is most definitely an analog overdrive. You should look at IbanezPsycho's thread on the mods he did to the pedal.

I haven't played the V50's, but from my experience, the V-Series amps have enough gain naturally to hit classic rock easily and maybe some harder rock at the top end, but they can't do metal very well. A boost would definitely help out, and the Bad Monkey does a pretty good job of this for the price.
I own a Palomino v50 and it will need a boost of some sort to kick it into metal and hard rock. It can do classic rock nice but anything more than that it needs a boost, also don't play with the gain above 9 or so especially if you are using a boost because it sounds like crap.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}