im not sure to get a fender usa strat or gibson les paul. can you please tell me some pros and cons to helo me choses
two veeeeeeeery different guitars. what will you be using it for? theres more guitars than just Strats and Pauls by the way
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
if your profile is correct and you play mostly rock and blues, i would say go for the strat. then again, i've played some les pauls that were absolutely fantastic for the bluesy sound that i was looking for. try a few out, see what's best for yourself.
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
The sounds gunna be brilliant either way but your gunna have to try them both because its incredible how different they feel, im a strat man myself
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Well, first are you only thinking of these brands because of the popularity? If so I would look at all the brands you can. I went to guitar center and when I was going to get a guitar a while back I only thought of Strats and Gibsons too, I mean i tried a Ibanez but only cause my friend made me, I liked it but i still went with the Les Paul, mainly because of the brand name. 1 year later I realise that I love my friend's Ibanez and somewhat regret the Les Paul because of the thickness of the neck. I'm currently saving up for a LTD (by ESP).

But if your torn between these two then I'd go with the Les Paul only because the strat's (I can't think of the name for the metal the is the fret..or is it fret?) frets hang over the edge slightly and it tears my hand up like no other. But I recommend looking at more brands first.
Last edited by midnight ride at Jan 18, 2009,
Quote by midnight ride
Well, first are you only thinking of these brands because of the popularity? If so I would look at all the brands you can. I went to guitar center and when I was going to get a guitar a while back I only thought of Strats and Gibsons too, I mean i tried a Ibeniz but only cause my friend made me, I liked it but i still went with the les paul, mainly because of the brand name. 1 year later I realise that I love my friend's Ibanez and somewhat regret the Les paul because of the thickness of the neck. I'm currently saving up for a LTD (by ESP).

But if your torn between these two then I'd go with the Les paul only because the start's (I can't think of the name for the metal the is the fret..or is it fret?) frets hang over the edge slightly and it tears my hand up like no other. But I recomend looking at more brands first.

thats not how strats are meant to be, you just got a bad one.
any guitar could have that problem
other than that +1
EDIT: llama
I have both a fender stratocaster and a les paul, and play rock and blues.

The bottom line is that the les paul is easier to play. Way easier. After I put seymour duncans into the guitar it sounded amazing and classic, just make sure the les paul has PAF style pickups in it and you can do blues and rock very, very well.

I love strats too. But I feel that the strat tone is overdone, since SRV came around. Don't get me wrong, the sound is badass; but it's everywhere. I would prefer to play blues on my les paul over my strat because it sounds more original and it's easier to play.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I have both a fender stratocaster and a les paul, and play rock and blues.

The bottom line is that the les paul is easier to play. Way easier. After I put seymour duncans into the guitar it sounded amazing and classic, just make sure the les paul has PAF style pickups in it and you can do blues and rock very, very well.

I love strats too. But I feel that the strat tone is overdone, since SRV came around. Don't get me wrong, the sound is badass; but it's everywhere. I would prefer to play blues on my les paul over my strat because it sounds more original and it's easier to play.

thats all preference
EDIT: and les pauls arent everywhere...? llama
I'd say go with the Paul, only because if you want to have single coils too, you could always throw in a push/pull to split them. Of course, you could always get a Strat with an HSS config or something. I prefer the Gibson scale length to Fenders also, along with rosewood over maple fret boards. It is really all preference. The Les Paul will give you a rich, balls-ier, sound with some low end chunk, where the Strat is going to give you a spanky tone, a little thinner than the Les Paul (this is not necessarily bad depending on what you are going for), and it is going to sparkle more than the Paul. Take the info above, and see which fits your style of music.
Hmm... an HSS or HSH strat would probably give you more variety for your blues and rock and stuff. A les paul has a very... unique tone. Fairly limited in terms of what sounds you can get from it compared to a strat. They are usually used to play good cleans with a small bit taken off the high and the low giving it a better tone curve than a sharp bite and attack that a strat can give. And you could get some really nice speciailized blues-y tones from a les paul.

And yeah, going from your profile you are leaning more towards a strat.

And on another note... stop with these stupid VS threads. make it more like "Deciding between xxxx and xxxx. I like xxxxx and play xxxxx and hope to get a tone like xxxxx my price range is xxxxx and would like any opinions to help me decide please." I mean really now, you have made like 5 and people keep telling you not to... I really hope you get banned for this for a little while.

Quote by stevemeow
reading music is gay. the best musicians first learned by ear. both clapton and hendrix never read music. the best way to learn is with your ears

BTW that's not necessarily true. Its a great skill to have the memory and hearing to play something right after hearing it but for others learning from sheet music or tabs is still a great way to learn. If you can read a tab or someones sheet music it allows someone to spread the information. Its like saying "Who the hell needs to know how to read, if you know how to talk that's good enough."
Quote by Moose1309
I'd say go with the Paul, only because if you want to have single coils too, you could always throw in a push/pull to split them. Of course, you could always get a Strat with an HSS config or something. I prefer the Gibson scale length to Fenders also, along with rosewood over maple fret boards. It is really all preference. The Les Paul will give you a rich, balls-ier, sound with some low end chunk, where the Strat is going to give you a spanky tone, a little thinner than the Les Paul (this is not necessarily bad depending on what you are going for), and it is going to sparkle more than the Paul. Take the info above, and see which fits your style of music.

all preference again
Quote by stratdud39
thats all preference

No it's not, just a good portion of it.

Les Pauls scale length is significantly lower than stratocasters, and as a result, strings are much easier to bend. .12s on a Les Paul feel like .10s on a stratocaster. On top of that, you have to fight strats to get their quack... fighting les pauls is not necassary.

And why are you arguing? Les Pauls are everywhere, yes, but..

Les Paul --> Hard Rock as Stratocasters --> Blues

Not many people choose les pauls over stratocasters when it comes to blues. That is a fact.

You could post something more constructive than the equivalent of "Don't listen to them, they have opinions"
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Jan 18, 2009,
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Les Pauls scale length is significantly lower than stratocasters, and as a result, strings are much easier to bend. .12s on a Les Paul feel like .10s on a stratocaster. On top of that, you have to fight strats to get their quack... fighting les pauls is not necassary.

Not many people choose les pauls over stratocasters when it comes to blues. That is a fact.

peace, please, i am by no means trying to insult anyone, i just wanna help the TS.
and correct me if im wrong but doesnt it depend on which strat and which les paul we;re talking about?
and saying les pauls are better for hard rock isnt necesarily true either, at that point it depends on your pickups.
if you lower the action/change the strings to your liking, you dont have to fight strats to get their "quack"
and i'll be back in a few i must eat dinner
Quote by stratdud39
all preference again

I believe I, why, yes, yes I did! I put that right in my response! Golly gee willakers!
Stop posting that after every response. THEY ARE ALL GOING TO BE BASED OFF OF PREFERENCE! And I do believe it is a known fact that Les Pauls are more bass-oriented than Strats. I think the only preference-oriented statement I made was the bit about the fret board specs.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

You could post something more constructive than the equivalent of "Don't listen to them, they have opinions"

+1, even though I'd take a LP over a Strat for blues. But I guess it's just all preference, as someone has so boldly stated after most responses in this thread.
Quote by Moose1309
I believe I, why, yes, yes I did! I put that right in my response! Golly gee willakers!
Stop posting that after every response. THEY ARE ALL GOING TO BE BASED OFF OF PREFERENCE! And I do believe it is a known fact that Les Pauls are more bass-oriented than Strats. I think the only preference-oriented statement I made was the bit about the fret board specs.

sorry didnt see that part, but this thread is pointless until TS replies back
This thread is kinda silly, in that anybody who knows anything about guitars knows that Strat and LP are as different as chalk and cheese. The way to figure out what is right and what is wrong is by trying each and seeing what you like best. The only way this thread could alter the TC's choice is in a negative way, i.e. he tries both and goes for the one he likes least just because it was more popular on an internet message board.