I play mainly blues, alternative, hard rock, and metal. Mostly bedroom/bandpractice/small gigs/recording. and i plan on acumulating this wthin the next few years. What do you think of

Roland Cube 60 $395
Crate V Series V212B 2x12 Guitar Extension Cabinet $150
Some bass amp (suggestions?) $200-$300
ESP MH-50 $290
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah $100
EHX Small Clone Chorus $84
EHX XO Micro Metal Muff or Digitech GRunge Distortion $75/$50
MXR Dyna Comp $70
Dano EQ $30
Mic and stuffs (suggestions?) $50 approx
Assorted Cables $75 approx
M-Audio Fast Track USB Computer Recording Interface $100
Total $1650 approx

I currently have a Squire strat > Dano Talk box > Digitech RP90> Frontman15G(Left) Roland Microcube (right). I have a Dean Metalman ML Bass, no bass amp. For recording i use a rockband usb mic and a combination of Audacity and Sony ACID express. If theres anything better for around the same price please tell me. Thanks

~C$

EDIT: I've never actually heard any of it its really just hypothetical. most of the things on the list are either due to popularity features or price. ofcourse ill go out and try everything before i purchase them and compare to others. but for now this is just a very raw plan
Last edited by CHOCOmoney at Jan 18, 2009,
Of course that's all some nice stuff... but... Do you plan to eat in the next year?
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
well, seeing as im 14, unemployed, and only been playing for 3 years, theres not a chance in hell ill be getting this all soon. itll be a work in progress. probably spanning from now til graduation in four years, when ill only have a few month to enjoy it all

EDIT: but i do plan on getting a job as soon as midterm are over
also, would the amp/cab setup work? I dont know anything about ohms or watt compatablity
Acoustic B100 Bass Amp

Don't get a Roland Cube. It's mediocre sounding.

And get a Avatar Cabinet if you're going to have it for awhile. Completely customizable, very affordable, and very durable.

I'd recommend a ProCo Rat for your distortion.

The Danelectro DC-1 18V Chorus is a really underappreciated pedal. It sounds awesome, and has that cool vintage look going for it.

A Sunset Squueze Compression would be a better choice.

http://www.pureanalogeffects.com/sunsetsqueezecompressorpedal.aspx

The Fish N Chips EQ is GREAT for the money, so you're good there.

Cables, get a Livewire Speaker cable for hooking up your head to your cab, and a Bullet Coil Cable for your guitar. I'd recommend Hosa Pancake Patch Cables for your pedals.

For the Wah, I'd recommend a Budwah or a Crybaby 535Q.
Last edited by AcousticLesPaul at Jan 18, 2009,
Well, I'm pretty set on the CUBE60. I have the microcube and love it, and the 3 band eq can only make the tone better.
Quote by CHOCOmoney
well, seeing as im 14, unemployed, and only been playing for 3 years, theres not a chance in hell ill be getting this all soon. itll be a work in progress. probably spanning from now til graduation in four years, when ill only have a few month to enjoy it all

EDIT: but i do plan on getting a job as soon as midterm are over

i feel your pain, as i aswell am 14 and unemployed.
i advise finding a music shop near your house, and
going there everyday for the rest of the year.
you'll learn lots, get discounts, and when you're
old enough, they'll be more likely to hire you =]

i think you could shoot a little higher for equipment though
the amp could be much better for the money. and the cabinet has some pretty cheap speakers.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by CHOCOmoney
Well, I'm pretty set on the CUBE60. I have the microcube and love it, and the 3 band eq can only make the tone better.

The Microcube also sucks - it's great at what it does, but almost all guitars sound teh same through it. Same with the Cube 60. Once you play something better, you'll realize what I am saying. Try a VoxAD30VT.
Eh that list is full of a lot of mediocre stuff, and in the end I think you'll have realized wow I spent almost 2 grand on a lot of random crap (no offense to that equipment, but I would go about it differently). My advice would be to look for good used equipment as you start acquiring everything, it will save you boat loads.
just for future reference, if youre going to tell me not to get something, say why, and give an equal or lesser priced alternative
ok if you arent going to be gigging, and like the cube, I would suggest a smaller one, like the 30. and also dont get the cab. If you are going to gig, I would suggest not getting the cube because for that price you could get something much better. Something like the palomino v50 or v30. these are tube amps and sound much better than the cube imo (generally tube amps sound better than solid state) as for a cab, if you get a 2x12 amp, I dont think you will need a cab for it.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Um, instead of buying a lot of low end gear, why don't you just by a small amount of high end gear?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
well, I'm not like trying to acumulate a lot, its just what i need at a reasonable price. nothing is definite, just ideas and examples based on what ive heard about them and pricing. i actually don't know anything about gear. And now that i think about it, i probably don;t need the cab, i just thought that 60w wouldn;t be loud enough, but now i think my little 15w times four should suffice
You need to do a lot more reading before you start making gear lists.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by xwearesinking
You need to do a lot more reading before you start making gear lists.

ive looked through the pedalboard thread, and almost every one has atleast one the pedals ive listed. ive seen a whole lot of people praise the cube, and i personally like the cube. and some things i dont know, thats why i'm asking, so please dont just say fail or be condesending, try to help, the the idea behind the forum right?
you do need more reading though, the cube 60 is way overpirced you can get tube amps at around the same wattage for the same price. I dont know about the pedals, I dont use many anyway. but I do know that there are way better amps out there than that cube.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by CHOCOmoney
I play mainly blues, alternative, hard rock, and metal. Mostly bedroom/bandpractice/small gigs/recording. and i plan on acumulating this wthin the next few years. What do you think of

Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube $450
ESP MH-50 $290
Morley Bad Horsie/Power Wah, or 535Q $100-150
AMP OVERDRIVE!? why buy a pedal, use the amp FREE
MXR Dyna Comp $70
Dano EQ $30
YOU'RE NOT GOING TO GOOD MICS AND CABLES FOR -> $50
Livewire, George L's $75
M-Audio Fast Track USB Computer Recording Interface used for under $100
Dano Cool Cat OD or transparent OD $50?
Total $??? approx

for blues and alternative, use squire (that is if it's SSS). Everything else, unless you feel its different, use ESP (the MH-50's aren't too bad, just shod pickups).

There?
A cab doesn't make you louder.

That ESP guitar isn't good.

That Ibanez Wah isn't good.

You do not need a distortion pedal for the Cube.

You do not need a compressor for a Modelling amp.

You shouldn't need an EQ with the right amp.

Hence my previous statement: You need to do more reading.

I'm trying to help you not waste money.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

^yay constructive criticism! you were just so blunt, no reasoning or explanation, but you clarified and i now thank you
Quote by CHOCOmoney
Peavey Classic 30 $600 (a lot less used)
Acoustic B100 $250
Epiphone G-400 $300

EHX Metal Muff $100
Dano EQ $30
Shure SM58 $100
Total $1655 approx

*Fixed
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by CHOCOmoney

Palomino v50 $350
Epiphone G-400 $300 (used)
EHX XO Micro Metal Muff or Digitech GRunge Distortion $75/$50
MXR Dyna Comp $70
Dano EQ $30
Mic and stuffs (suggestions?) $50 approx
Total $1650 approx

idk about the other stuff, but the amp and guitar would probably be better than what you listed.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
I agree with the Palo except it doesn't do metal well, but I guess that can be taken care of with a Metal Muff or something similar. The Palomino will do all the other genres nicely.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
I also don't understand why you're limiting yourself to all this low-end gear, when this plan is for "within the next few years."

Don't you think your tastes will be different?

You can make $1650 in a few months working part time.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by CHOCOmoney
just for future reference, if youre going to tell me not to get something, say why, and give an equal or lesser priced alternative

Well, like previously stated, you're looking at buying a lot of mediocre crap, and we're just warning you that you won't get very far with all that stuff, but....ahem, as you stated, this isn't set in stone, you'd just like to get some ideas. While still on a teenagers budget -

-Peavey Valveking Head, Traynor Combo, Peavey Classic Series
-Blackstar 2x12 or Avatar 2x12 Extension Cab
-E/H Metal Muff
-EQ of the sorts
-Ibanez ART100-300

That's where I would start as far as guitar gear goes. Everyone else has thrown out some good ideas as well.
k looking at thesee suggestion and spending some time on musiciansfriend.com ive come up with

peavey Vypyr 75w and footswitch - $380
Ibanez RG5EX1 - $350
Acoustic B100 - $250
Dunlop original crybaby wah -$70
MXR Dyna Comp - $70
EHX Small Clone Chorus - $84
Shure SM57 Vocal/Instrument Mic - $100
Total approx- $1500

and xwearesinking is right, i shouldn't need an eq or dist if the amp is good

about the wah, Ive heard good things about the crybaby (not sure if its the same model), but my cousins and my neighbors both broke for unknown reasons, any reasonably priced wahs i should be aware of?
dood why are you settling for modeling amp?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Here is my opinion on your "gear" list:

- used tube combo $400-$600, I really recommend against getting oversized practice amps.
- used Bass amp $200 (don't know anything about bass amps)
- no new guitar, your Squier will do for blues. A cheap LTD won't be much of an upgrade.
- no need to plan ahead for pedals. A good combo amp will do the music tone you want. You can think about pedals AFTER you get the amp and after you get a good sense of what the amp is capable of.
Dano EQ $30
Mic and stuffs - dunno? $100
Assorted Cables - shop for cheaper cables than $75 I guess
M-Audio Fast Track USB Computer Recording Interface $100 - dunno
Total $1100 or lower

You're clearly on a budget, so buy like everything second hand cause you can probably find some good deals. I got my guitar and amp second hand and I'm glad I saved a bunch of money, the gear is as good as new.

Agree with the guy above, I would NOT settle for a modelling amp at all. Get a tube amp that suites your tastes. I saw a local band perform two nighs ago and one of them was usign a Hughes & Kettner and the other using a Fender HRD. Both guitarists had impeccable tone for the type of music they were playing (60s/70s rock).

And also only buy a guitar if you find a good deal used for a guitar that's much better than a Squier. You're not gonna get much of an upgrade at like the $300-$400 pricepoint. I can't stress this enough. If you're on a budget and you want good equipment, SHOP around for used amps and guitars, don't settle for low end gear. And as I previously mentioned, don't buy any pedals and stuff until you get an amp to your liking and you figure out what more you want from it.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Last edited by MustangSVT at Jan 19, 2009,
k, good tube amps that can do blues and metal? the valveking is popular here, but i hear a lot of bad things about it. and how long will tubes last before they need to be changed?

and the only pedal i'm definitly getting is some sort of chorus to make cleans sound more full. a comp just seems like a good idea, and a wah would be a lot of fun and a hole bunch songs i play use one. the wahs on my RP90 arent very good. when i rock them forward they dont do anyything until half way where theres a very quick and sudden wah sound, i cant really stretch it out. are all wahs like that, any good ones i should know about?
Last edited by CHOCOmoney at Jan 19, 2009,