ive been playing for a while now(about 3-4 months) but i can play some decent things for play for such a short time. (dying in your arms- trivium the solo is still a bit to fast for me.welcome home-not the solo either. you can see how good i am at guitar ive been trying to improvise for solos but im not that good. anyways-rant.point is i want to know some easy stuff to start sweep picking and tips for sweeping i kind would like to sweep pick thunderhorse but i dont understand the tuning so any songs you know that are good would help any help will be appriciated. :]
If you don't understand tuning and have been playing for 3-4 months then you shouldn't be learning to sweep, even if you are a protege.

Learn theory and scales and learn to improvise well first, then you'll understand sweeps and be able to use them in context in your improv and stuff.

You'll thank yourself later
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by DaddyBarbs
If you don't understand tuning and have been playing for 3-4 months then you shouldn't be learning to sweep, even if you are a protege.

Learn theory and scales and learn to improvise well first, then you'll understand sweeps and be able to use them in context in your improv and stuff.

You'll thank yourself later

you mean 'prodigy' right?

and yeah, if you can't play the welcome home solo (easy as hell) and you don't understand tunings, you have no business trying to sweep. learn the basics first, don't bite off more than you can chew
Quote by BlackandSilver
Kill 'em All in St Anger with the help of the Master of Puppets. He can Ride the Lightning, creating a Death Magnetic.

Myspace
although i agree with daddybarbs, ill help you out, go on youtube and type in sweep picking lessons i watched the video earlier this week it really helps and he expalins very clearly, oh and you will know its the right video because it will start out with a black screen and say a website (which if i remember correctly is ug) and the guy teaching it is blond. and work on 3 string sweeps then 4 then 5 but follow the way the guy in the video explains it stop the video and do each section until you feel confortable to move onto the next one

Edit- there is a whole thread on tuning in which it details how to tune to what a song is in (all of dethklok except for the coffee jingle) is in C standard which basically means the 5th fret rule (if you know it) of the tuning you are in now and change you thickest string to C and follow the fifth fret rule from there. if you know what that is. if not then go to the tunings thread, use the search bar to find it quickly.
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Last edited by F8iscruel at Jan 18, 2009,
You've not been playing long, as DaddyBarbs said you shouldn't be learning to sweep just yet.

Paul Gilbert admitted in an interview that he gets dozens of emails from people who have been playing a few months and what help of sweep picking. His response? He said go and buy a ramones album instead.

Don't do anything that's outside your comfort zone just yet, give it a year or so.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
learn the beginning arpeggios to Leper Messiah by Metallica easy 3 string sweeps.
Quote by AEROTROOPER159
what would you recommend for my improvising

learn you scales and modes, find out what key a song is in then play over the backing riff of the solo constantly. but if you are going to improvise learn your scales, if you just play every note on the fret board youll sound incompetent almost 100% of the time.
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
ive been getting that alot to wait but i feel i can sweep but i guess i shall keep practinging but on what...(cheez1492 do you have a tab for welcome home including the solo.)
Quote by cheez1492
you mean 'prodigy' right?

and yeah, if you can't play the welcome home solo (easy as hell) and you don't understand tunings, you have no business trying to sweep. learn the basics first, don't bite off more than you can chew

No... He meant Protege.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/protege

Anyways, sweeping is a advanced technique. Learn some scales and things, practice your speed, learn the notes on a fretboard in different tunings, etc. You still have a little ways to go.
severe case of tryin to run before he can walk, fat chance u could learn such an advance technique 3-4 months in, so dont kid urself and work ur way up to it, theres a reason u dont see kids sweeping on there squiers
search under "sweep picking practice" its the first video it should be 15 minutes long and the guy has blond hair it is a "steal this video" video
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by BucketHayden
severe case of tryin to run before he can walk, fat chance u could learn such an advance technique 3-4 months in, so dont kid urself and work ur way up to it, theres a reason u dont see kids sweeping on there squiers

If you could see what I do on my squier... And BTW, I took up sweeping 5 months in lol...
link to the sweeping vid anyone??
Guitars:
Fender stratocaster california series (usa)
Gibson Les Paul classic (1960)
Amps:
ENGL Fireball 60W - Framus FR 2x12 Celestion v30's
Pedals: POD x3 LIVE, BOSS OD-1
GAS: Pedals
Quote by Life Is Brutal
If you could see what I do on my squier... And BTW, I took up sweeping 5 months in lol...

Vid please?
Quote by AEROTROOPER159
ive been getting that alot to wait but i feel i can sweep but i guess i shall keep practinging but on what...(cheez1492 do you have a tab for welcome home including the solo.)

i don't, but there's a powertab on this site that has it

Edit: both of these have the solos and they're pretty accurate

Text version: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/c/coheed_and_cambria/welcome_home_tab.htm

Ptb: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/c/coheed_and_cambria/welcome_home_power_tab.htm
Quote by BlackandSilver
Kill 'em All in St Anger with the help of the Master of Puppets. He can Ride the Lightning, creating a Death Magnetic.

Myspace
Last edited by cheez1492 at Jan 18, 2009,